Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 02-09-10

Seriously, is this a joke or what. Another storm moves into lower Michigan, and our snow prediction gets downgraded. The Eastern UP now only going to get a dusting to and inch, the least amount of snow in the entire state.

I will tell you that trails are THIN, but perfectly ridable - from the groomer reports on the North and South loops from last night. I will tell you that you can ride on the ice base, which has between 1 and 3 inches of snow on it. I will tell you that the only major problem areas are the RR Grade from Iggy to Moran, and the pipeline section of #473. I will tell you that but I fear that people will still head for deeper snow in other areas of the state.

This leads us to officially cancel the poker run and trail stop for this coming weekend. Maybe March will bring enough snow to have a run.

Pond Hockey for Feb 19th - 21st is ON! The have spectacular ice in the bay, and I surveyed 25 rinks in last night. They will be building the snowbanks over the next week. Come on UP and check out what LaBatts is saying will be the biggest pond hockey event in the country!
Old 02-10-2010, 10:17 AM   #2
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Re: Trail Conditions 02-09-10

Al least we are getting a little snow today. Grass is once again covered. Probably get an inch out of this total, but time will tell.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:38 PM   #3
indootime
Trail Master

Nice to see the grass covered on the JohnDee web cam for St Ignace. It was getting depressing down here. I think we have more snow in Romeo than you have in St. Ignace!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snow.jpg (13.6 KB, 123 views)
Old 02-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #4
Bill
Trail Master

Angry Re: Trail Conditions 02-09-10

Hey Neil, Bill from Dayton. The snow is really crazy this winter as you know. When I got back last Fri. there was not a lick of snow, not even piles in parking lots. In 5 days we have 14 inches here and 20 miles North of me there is 23 inches! I would love to be able to ship it up to St. Iggy. I also heard on the news that Wash.D.C. has had more snow this winter than Buffalo N.Y. just not right.

Last edited by Bill : 02-11-2010 at 11:15 AM. Reason: typing error
Old 02-11-2010, 05:56 PM   #5
jaboven
I'm New Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow VP View Post
Al least we are getting a little snow today. Grass is once again covered. Probably get an inch out of this total, but time will tell.
Hi Neil,
This is Jim from G.R. I am new to your site, and will be coming up next week Thursday-Sunday. Our group comes up for the Pond Hockey Party weekend every year and stay at the Village Inn. Right now it does not look like we will be able to ride right from the Hotel. Is there another staging area other than the one right in town maybe in Trout Lake or up towards Newberry? Jim
Old 02-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #6
polaris4me
Trail Master

Castle Rock road maybe a good staging area, take Castle rock road not the R/R Grade trail. Moran would be good too.

We are heading up Friday, staying in Cut River for 10 days. Hoping for some good snow fall when we are there. If not. I am still in the U.P. and I do not have to do a damn thing. I AM ON VACATION !

M.S.A.
Support the people that support this sport !
Old 02-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
srtf1000
Trail Master

The trails coming out of Cut River should be fine. They have an ice base with an inch or two of snow. They are smooth and fast. More snow towards Newberry.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:03 AM   #8
Snow VP
Administrator

Sorry about no report today folks, had to work all day, even missed the races. Gotta work tomorrow too, however I will try to get some pics in the afternoon.

Staging at castle rock rd, is no longer a real good option. I guess you could try to drive up onto the road a bit, but is is no longer plowed, and parking along Lant rd is frowned upon. Castle Road rd, is fairly crowned, and pretty icy.

The little snow we got yesterday did quite a bit for the trail I checked right by town, it looks much better then it did at the beginning of the week. I have not seen the bad sections of trail, so not sure if it brought those back or not.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #9
srtf1000
Trail Master

We are coming up today. And we'll be stopping by the Bayview Inn for an Awesome breakfast. They should just stage out of Cut River.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #10
jaboven
I'm New Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by srtf1000 View Post
We are coming up today. And we'll be stopping by the Bayview Inn for an Awesome breakfast. They should just stage out of Cut River.
I would like to thank all of you guy's for the helpful info. It looks like Iggy has some snow in the forecast for the next week. I am still hopefull that we will be able to ride right out of town. We will seeya next weekend.
Closed Thread