Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Old 01-04-2010, 01:27 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 1-04-10

The phrase that still sums everything up is:
Thin, but perfectly ridable.

We really could use some more snow though. As more and more sleds ride what we have, it will get pounded down into the ice. Right now the groomers are just pulling the snow back in that the sleds are blowing to the sides.

It was cccccc-cold here over the weekend. Friday the big lake was clear of ice, and Saturday morning there was skim ice all the way to the island (Which has since mostly blown away) Dave tried to do a Brevort groomer run Saturday morning, but with temps at the groomer of -16d, it was not starting. Things were still not too bad out there without it, and will be straightened out soon.

Logging on the Borland Road (#471) is all done and is nicely fixed up. It may be another 2 weeks for the other company to finish up.

Be sure to head on up for the weekend. The Driftwood is running a poker run on Saturday. The Club will be having a trail stop that day too so come out and see a groomer and some club members.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:49 AM   #2
indootime
Trail Master

Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-04-10

I was up over the weekend and thought the trails were great! Nice job! I did notice a couple of missing signs though.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:14 PM   #3
no1 pro
Trail Master

Thumbs up Re: Trail Conditions 1-04-10

Neil Will there be trailside hotdogs at the trail stop?

Those trailside hotdogs are very important to my brother famouseguy.

And will the trail stop be at the same location? Was it on #471?

Pro
no1 pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
Snow VP
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by indootime View Post
I was up over the weekend and thought the trails were great! Nice job! I did notice a couple of missing signs though.
Thanks. It takes a surprising amount of work to keep the trails in good shape, even with very low snow. I also notices some missing signs recently. I think someone may be screwing around with us. PM me with any specific locations that you can remember, and we will try to get them fixed up for next weekend.

Quote:
Neil Will there be trailside hotdogs at the trail stop?
Those trailside hotdogs are very important to my brother famouseguy.
And will the trail stop be at the same location? Was it on #471?
Yes, we will get an extra package just for you guys. (for our pot luck)
As of right now, yes the trail stop is at the North end of #471 or locally the North end of the Borland Road, also the West end of the Burma Grade. There has been some logging in that area, so in February, we may move the location 2 miles West, but generally, it should be in the same location for this weekend.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:42 PM   #5
Snow VP
Administrator

Jimmy D and Dave S are going out Tuesday to check as much signage that they can. (UPDATE) They are out on the trail - watch for a Pickup working on signs all day today.

Poker Run and trail stop are defiantly on!

decided on lots of stuff tonight, more later...

Last edited by Snow VP : 01-05-2010 at 12:14 PM.
Snow VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:58 AM   #6
Snow VP
Administrator

UPDATE from GROOMER:

Everything was groomed yesterday, and the drivers report no major problems. Same ol story though, the base is in great shape, and there is a very thin layer of snow on top. The Iggy groomer did report a few more rocks poking through in the open sections of the RR Grade between Iggy and Moran - this is expected as these are typically our worst trails. Paul also reported some sand mixed in on the pipeline. Again this is expected, and can easily be ridden next to.
Old 01-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #7
gambeler1
Junior Rider

Just wondering if you received any snow in the last couple days and what is the forcast for the next day or two snow wise?
gambeler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:16 PM   #8
Megan600
Junior Rider

We were up this past weekend and I'd say for the little amount of snow we've gotten, the trails were good. We noticed the RR grade being thin, but taking 471 around it worked just fine for us. Thanks for the hard work that makes my play time so much more enjoyable!

Also thanks to the folks at the driftwood. We stayed there and hit them up for drinks everynight. I had an amazingly high bar tab for all the drink specials that were going on. Guess it was the lunchboxes that may have caused that!

See ya again soon!
Megan600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #9
jimbo1921
I'm New Here

was up riding over this past weekend. Road sat and sun staying at driftwood. The trails were near perfect. Railroad a little thin but ok. Sunday we road from 11am to5pm went from st iggy to cut river and back and never saw another sled and had perfeat trails. some trails had been groomed both ways ad no one had rode on them yet. wow thanks for the grat trails[
jimbo1921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 09:00 PM   #10
sjmcphail
Liquid Cooled

We just got home from another great trip up there. After riding all over the Easten UP, it's really obvious what great pride you guys take in your trails; they're the best! Thanks for you hard work!

One idea, we noticed some clubs had marked the number of miles to cities at intersections and it was really helpful for someone (me) who wasn't real familar with the trails as I didn't have to keep dragging out the map. It's hard to mess with perfection, but just an idea for you.

Thanks again!
sjmcphail is offline   Reply With Quote