Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 11:03 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 12-10-09

We received about 8" in Iggy and 10" North out of the big storm. Add that to the other totals, and there is over 12" of snow out there. The system snow was good wet stuff, perfect for forming a trail base.

The groomer went out at first light for its first panning run of the season! I expect the snow to pack down to about a 4" base out there. It certainly will not be perfect riding, but it should be possible for sure. This snow, in addition to the stuff in the forecast over the next week should have us good to go soon. Again, riding should be fine now, just remember it is early season riding. If our trail has not been panned yet, be on the lookout for trees down - we had very huge winds with that storm.

We will probably run one groomer through the weekend out of Iggy, and then move it to Brevort on Sunday. I still have to take the brusher unit off the other tractor, and prep it for grooming. I just finished up the brushing in the town trail last night, so that is all done for the season, and time to concentrate on grooming.

I will try to post an update when the groomer returns, which I don't expect until around dark-thirty. Groomer Dave is trying to get a jump on Highest Volunteer Mileage again this year. He took top honors last year in his first season!
Old 12-10-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Re: Trail Conditions 12-10-09

The groomer returned a short time ago, and stated that things are looking pretty good out there, especially for the first run of the season. Iggy received another 2-3" today, and he stated that there was 20" in the woods A ways North of Moran, to up by Trout Lake. The snow was fabulous for packing down a base - things looked great out there.

The core loop was panned down today, and after some service at the shop, the groomer is going to make another trip tomorrow evening.

The Carp River Truck Trail, from Brevort North to the Huckleberry Rd is being plowed by the loggers. We will do what we can, but until the ground fully freezes, it may have some sand showing, like today.

NOTICE: the gate between the pipeline and Dam road is still closed, we are working on getting it opened up.
Old 12-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #3
Snow VP
Administrator

Told ya it was windy around here.

http://www.9and10news.com/category/story/?id=190263
Old 12-10-2009, 07:36 PM   #4
polaris4me
Trail Master

Looks like it's time to ride.
But not this weekend for us. Have other plans.
Lets hope it stays cold for the rest of the winter.

M.S.A.
Support the people that support this sport !
Old 12-10-2009, 09:30 PM   #5
SmittyAllSeason
Trail Master

Sounds great Neil!

Hopefully we can keep this snow and add to it.
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660 w/ 26" ITP Mudlites, 60" Cycle Country Plow
Old 12-11-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
Snow VP
Administrator

Not a problem, the snow is here to stay. The ground is slowly taking frost, it would take a huge warmup to kill what we have now. I would like another 12" or so to get us through December though. If we get a ton of traffic on the trails, it will start bringing up rocks through the trail base. We do not have an ice base yet like last year. It will develop over time, and hopefully before the rocks have a chance to move.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
con-fusion
Trail Master

Default Re: Weather Conditions 12-09-09

Hey Neil, what is the Iggy snow total now, we have club meeting today will give report as the boys are ready to go north. thanks
Old 12-13-2009, 04:32 PM   #8
Snow VP
Administrator

Saturday and Sunday it got fairly warm up here, around 30d. The Trails are pretty much beat down to nothing going out of town. I am sure the outer trails faired better, but the RR grade is in tough shape. Dave is finishing panning the Cut River & Caffey Trails today, and Paul is panning and shaping the Cedarville trail on Monday. After that I think we are going to be pretty much done until we get some more snow. What we did have is packed down, and melted a bit from both the top and bottom.

Keep an eye on the forecast, and check back here when things improve.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:56 PM   #9
con-fusion
Trail Master

Thanks Neil
Old 12-15-2009, 01:29 AM   #10
Schuie
Trail Master

Trails look good. We went out today around 3:00pm we didn't get into Iggy until 8 this morning so a nap was definitely in order. We rode out the railroad grade up to trout lake. The trail is pretty good but very soft on the sides still. We then brought it back to 471 and then took it down to 2 back to Iggy. 471 was plowed as everyone know, wasn't to bad but pretty icy under the couple of inches that hasn't been plowed off yet... don't understand it... the loggers plow the roads but I have never seen them actually work. There's always snow on their equipment. But I digress. 2 was awesome. it was smooth with only a few tracks on it. Seemed to be a little icy underneath so id assume the base is setting up nicely. Still definitely early season riding but overall pretty good.
Closed Thread