Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Weather Conditions 12-04-09

Still working on it. We were forecast to get a good 3-5 last night, but Iggy only got about 2, of decent snow. Snow on-off for the next week or so may slowly build up to have something to groom. I am not planning on running any groomers for the foreseeable future though - too hard on the equipment. It does look like we are shifting into that December pattern that will get things ready to ride in a couple of weeks. Then again, one good dump, and we are all set.

The RR Grade brushing project was finished up yesterday, and Dave is working the Tractor back to Moran over the weekend. If we do not get more snow next week, I am going to keep the brusher online for a while yet, and we are going to go out and hit some more trouble spots, mostly on the Cedarville trail.

Think good thoughts folks, it may not be long now.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Re: Weather Conditions 12-04-09

I don't really see it snow all that hard right now, but here is wat 9 & 10 has to say:

* Lake Effect Snow Warning in effect for Chippewa, Cheboygan, Charlevoix, Emmet and Mackinac County until Saturday 6PM * Heavy lake snow continues tonight and could amount to more than a foot of snow by Saturday Night. Travel in these areas is very hazardous and is not recommended!

Please e-mail us at weather@9and10news.com with your snowfall totals and road conditions.

Lake effect snow continues tonight and will be extremely intense from Mancelona north into Chippewa County. The tip of the mitt could see 6-10" of new snow by morning. Away from the lake effect, for those of you west of US-131, lake effect weakens but not before dropping an additional 1-3", locally heavier amounts are possible near Benzie County. For those of you well inland south of Grayling, skies go partly cloudy with a few flurries. Overnight lows range from the middle 20's in the snowbelt to the teens where skies clear out.

* Lake Effect Snow Warnings continue Saturday * Heavy lake snow does not stop in the Straits area. Another 6-10" are possible by 6PM Saturday with more snow Saturday night. If you live along or west of US-131 1-2" of new snow is possible. Away from the lake effect, lake effect continues but with less than an inch possible. The farther south you go the less snow there will be. Highs range from 26 to 32 degrees with wind chills staying the teens to low twenties.

Sunday looks to best of the next few days. Mostly cloudy skies with some pockets of lake effect snow are possible. Accumulations are expected to be fairly light. Highs range from 28 to 36 degrees.

Monday and Tuesday do not show any kind of major problems. A weak system comes through Monday with a few inches possible and then skies settle Tuesday.

Out eyes are then focused on a storm system for Wednesday. Right now, all models point to a major storm for the upper midwest. This means the state could be in for a major winter storm with plenty of snow, wind and more lake effect snow.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:39 PM   #3
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

Well at least it's a start!
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
M.S.A.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:34 AM   #4
Snowmobilers.com
I'm New Here

Looks like you guys are getting a lot more snow today, heard a bunch of people are heading that way. Are the sleds out and about?
Old 12-05-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
no1 pro
Trail Master

Thumbs up Re: Weather Conditions 12-04-09

Please help

Have any of yous up north seen any snowmachines riding on the trails in the eastern U.P.

And also famouse guy is getting ansy for trailside hot dogs.

Pro
Old 12-05-2009, 06:54 PM   #6
Snow VP
Administrator

Guys, I went out and took the truck around the big loop today. We have 10" in SI, 8" in Moran, 12" at the trail stop, and maybe 5" in Trout Lake. I heard Hulbet only got a dusting, and Cedarville had over 12" this morning. All of this snow is light lake effect, and not good for sleds. I am not planning on panning the trails until we get another storm (Wed?)
At this time, I would not recommend heading this way to ride. There were a couple of sleds on the trail, but it was locals with beater sleds. I am sure they were riding on some rocks.

I will let you know where things look good to go.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:21 PM   #7
Bill
Trail Master

A bit of a late start compared to last year. Mother nature is just testing our patience! It shouldn't be long now! P.S. the web cam looks GOOD

Last edited by Bill : 12-06-2009 at 12:23 PM. Reason: added another statement
Old 12-06-2009, 08:32 PM   #8
no1 pro
Trail Master

Thumbs up Re: Weather Conditions 12-04-09

Thanks Neil for the advise.

Pro
Closed Thread