Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 02:04 PM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 1-08-18

So mother nature sent me a bit of a late christmas present, maybe I wasn't as bad as I thought.

I was not expecting any real snow over teh weekend, and we didn't really see anything at my house in Iggy. Got maybe 1 inch, 1 1/4" if you squint over all day Sunday and into Monday. However, the little clipper was lake enhances and we finally caught a break on the Western Trails and got a decent snow. Bobby called in 6" in Epoufette, and decent snow too. So groomer Ken took a late run last night and completed everything from Epoufette, Brevort, Reston & Trout Lake. Lowest he saw was 5", and even up to 8" deep in the woods. He found more trees down in the Cur River area but should be all cleared now and good to go. No water was reported anywhere.

Groomer Wayne also ran early this morning, and covered most of the lower trails. He found 2/3" on the South and 5" on the North. The RR Grade blew off some, but improved over last week. The pipleline is now passable, and the Burma grade is perfect as always.

So overall, I would say we have 2" of packed trail snow on the South end of the system, 4" in the middle, and 5-6" in Rexton & Trout Lake. As of now, we are in 'GOOD' condition, and another little stom will put us over teh edge to excellent - but more on that in a moment. There are currently no trees or water to worry about, and all connectors are in good shape. Bobby says head on up and stay in Epoufette and you will have a great ride (although Ken says TASA still has not groomed Rexton to Epoufette)

Mackinac Island- The Passenger ferry stopped running on Friday and it was froze over to the island this weekend. I figured, and then confirmed that the freight boat would run on Monday morning (they intent to run all season) and there was open water again today. I guess that the passenger will attempt to run again tomorrow and through the week. No ice bridge, no treeline - for now.

FORCAST:
Here is the thing, we are in good shape on teh trails now, but the RR Grade will not handle a ton of traffic. I say that because we are supposed to get pretty warm on Wednesday and Thursday. If you have an option - STAY OFF THE GRADE those 2 days. It will help us out tons. The warmup may come with rain which is going to settle and damage the trails if they get heavily used while they are mushy. So right now I have grooming runs scheduled to go out on Thursday day/evening/night depending on temps. It will help out all of the groomers (not just our area) if people can take the night off of riding and let us get things smoothed out while they are warm, and let them freeze overnight. Trails should be in pretty decent shape on Friday afternoon across the whole area if we don't lose too much snow to the rain. We are then supposed to get 1-3" Thursday into Saturday which will whiten them up and give some lubrication for the slides. We should have a good weekend of riding in the straits area! BTW< one site I check is calling for 20-24" across the grand rapids to Lansing area on Friday night - could go South to the Ohio valley, but - holly cow!

Quote:
Tonight: Scattered snow showers, mainly before 7pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 18. West wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Tuesday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 28. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south in the afternoon.

Tuesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 24. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph.

Wednesday: A chance of snow showers and freezing rain before 11am, then a chance of rain showers between 11am and 1pm, then a chance of drizzle after 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 38. Southeast wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Wednesday Night: A chance of drizzle before 1am, then rain likely after 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 34. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Thursday: Rain before 3pm, then rain and snow. High near 37. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Thursday Night: Snow showers and freezing rain before 8pm, then a chance of snow showers between 8pm and 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 10.

Friday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 18.

Friday Night: A chance of snow showers after 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 4.

Saturday: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 14.

Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -1.

Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 12.
So even though we have an uncertain forecast for the coming weekend, I think we are in much better shape then just a day ago. With the snow conditions, our groomers are holding until Thursday night, will run while it is soft and freeze things down for the coming weekend. We MAY run this weekend if traffic requires it AND snow is deep enough to handle the trips.

Last edited by Snow VP : 01-11-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 02:23 PM   #2
PolarisRider
Trail Master

Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-08-18

At camp SW of Rudyard, I would say 10" new snow over the last week. Sunday had a great ride - broke trail almost the whole way. Checked a couple camps for friends East of 123 and hit a lot of Fed roads, picked up the RR grade at Kenneth Rd, and cut it open up to Trout Lk . Really snowing and blowing in Trout Lk - tough visibility at times.

Played around a bit in the Straits Northern trails and forest roads, then broke trail most of the way back to Rudyard. Couldn't talk brother into calling in sick today, or we would still be out. Not that often when you get the chance to be first to run flat trails/roads with the good amount of new snow.
- 05 600 Sabercat LX
Member:
- M.S.A. - Straits Area Snowmobile Club
- Chippewa Snow Chasers - Soo Snowmobile Club - TASA

Last edited by Snow VP : 01-11-2018 at 08:49 AM.
Old 01-08-2018, 06:33 PM   #3
indootime
Trail Master

Thanks Neil!

Old 01-09-2018, 07:08 AM   #4
no1 pro
Trail Master

Nice trail info. Thanks

Old 01-09-2018, 09:27 AM   #5
Snow VP
Administrator

Quick update: Sleds on the ground are saying we are already losing parts of the grade between Iggy and Moran. I assume Castle Rock will be plowed today, so trailering out of town may be a good idea.

Ice update: Ferry is running today, all open water to the island, and our bay is breaking out about 1/2 way.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:18 AM   #6
conniver04
Trail Master

Thanks for teh update Neil. These forecasts are all over the place for Wed and Thurs. Lets hope we hold and get some snow out of that system on Thurs. See ya Thurs afternoon.

16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.

Closed Thread