Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Old 12-11-2017, 12:36 PM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Weather 12-11-17

Good Monday Morning to all out there!
I am way behind on my weather reporting here, so please bare with me as I get things rolling again for another great season on riding teh Straits Area trails.
I am feel it, there is snow in the air, and there are a bunch of you that have been sniffing the 2-stroke smoke, and have been getting the shakes from no Neil updates, so here we go...

First gotta catch you up since my last update from way back on 10-16-17. 60s look so good right now... it was a really cold late October and November. Cold rainy and miserable. Rain, buy did we get a ton of rain - the wods were flooded out in alot of areas, and we had running water in may many place that we have not seen water before. Temps ran in the 30 & 40s, cold enough to make it crappy, but unfortunately, not cold enough to drive frost in the ground.

We did manage to get some grading don on the RR Grade from Iggy to Trout Lake. The weather closed in before the Western trails could be graded, but the RR Grade got the worst of it taken care of which will make lower snow riding more of a possibility, and the reason we can give you guys ridable trails alot of times out of Iggy and Trout Lake.

Then December rolled around, and it is time to start thinking about sledding!
I should have had an update for you on Dec 1, but work has been crazy trying to get stuff done before we get too much snow to work outside. Which... is a good thing for the trail riders out there. Things are actually looking very good for early December for a change, in fact it has been years since it has looked this good at this time of year. It has been decently cold, and after the first few days of the month rolled by with cold weather, it has turned cold enough to snow. We have seen several days of lake effect type snow, and as of last Friday we had 2-3" of snow on the ground. That has settled just a bit, but it is snowing pretty good now, with the forecast looking at another 2" today. The next few days are adding an inch or so at a time, with the lake effect hitting the traditional belts and no so much us. Here is the exciting thing, there is no major warmup expected over the next 10 days forecast! That is be big difference from this compared to the last 3-4 years where everything we got in December has melted down. Things look to be staying put for the time being and if we can build snow little by little we may be grooming within the next week. The only negative is the frost was not in the ground before we got teh first lake effect, so the ground is kinda insulated. We can fix that and drive the frost down with the groomers but it is hard on the drags, so I am going to give in a few days to see what happens in the snow department.

I have heard a few crazy locals buzzing around on beater sleds over the weekend, and in fact one sled was wrecked on Saturday out in Moran due to speed and low snow conditions on the grade. We are not quite there yet on our trails, but it may not be long, so be patient, or look to the snow belts for now. In the meantime, things are looking good so far in the Straits.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:32 PM   #2
snopro7c
Trail Master

Default Re: Weather 12-11-17

hopefully things will be good and we will be UP there the weekend after Christmas!

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!!!!!!
snopro7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:59 AM   #3
Snow VP
Administrator

Sweet little gift from Mother Nature yesterday, it just snowing and snowing with about 4" total. Everything this season has been light and fluffy, so still need a decent amount more to have a base though, but we are gaining on it.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:06 AM   #4
Snow VP
Administrator

Quick dusting of snow and a batch of ice fog this morning is supposed to give away to sun and the lower gets pounded with 4-8" clipper system.

Just flurries here though as of now.
Old 12-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #5
Bill
Trail Master

Thanks Neil, always good to hear your reports.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote