Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 05:02 PM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 3-15-17

So here we are mid-March and it is that typical mid-March trail update. The really good news is things are a bit better out there then you have been lead to believe. The forecast is even looking just a bit better, so here is a really good chunk of news for you: I am restarting grooming operations tomorrow night. We will likely run Friday night too with the predicted new snow. Bobby is going to run the North part of the system tomorrow night and groom up what he can, flatten the base down again (not that it is in bad shape at all right now) and cut a couple of trees that came down on the last wind storm. I have finally got real-time reports from most of the system and here is the skinny: Most everything South of the Burma grade is in tough shape. There is snow available in the woods, but there are long stretches that have zero snow, and had the frost coming out of the ground. Those areas will be borderline savable with new snow, but probably not. The Northern areas are thin, but are quite March-type ridable. You will be good for long stretches, and then have a small bare sport to deal with. My info is that Brevort is way shot, but the trail in the woods, ie: end of Schoolhouse road is in good shape. You can ride a loop up to Trout Lake no problem. Epoufette is thin, has some sandy sports, but you should be about to ride that loop too – on our trail. I was told TASA actually came down to Epoufette on Monday or Tuesday, so that should be flat, but I don’t know how much snow is on their trail. You can’t ride out of Iggy, and Moran is also too thin to ride (until Friday maybe). So again, don’t try South of the Burma Grade, North you should be OK. If you don’t know the area, the Burma is the straight E-W trail in the middle of our system – if you still need help, check out the attached map, that in Blue we likely won’t be grooming again this season without a 10” storm. I was told this morning that there is a pocket of snow just North of Trout Lake, and the Chaser’s trails look very good from M-123 in that area. Right in Newberry is tough, but North and South of there should be in OK shape.

The forecast is actually starting to come together and have some agreement on a Friday snow event. Most sites are now calling for a good 2-4” on the straits, with almost nothing down by Gaylord, and less further North, so that may bode will for us. 4” is all we need to put the North loop back in very very good condition. That will not be enough to being the bare spots back, but should be enough to get you to Moran for gas. Brevort – I doubt it, bu fill up and trailer to Schoolhouse rd, and you will have a good day. Bobby said the Epoufette hotel has lots of rooms, so you can try that if you want to ride without trailering. Weather next week holds the trails in the current condition, so if we can just get some snow we would be in really good shape again.
It is gonna be stupid busy again North of 28, you may want to look for some good localized riding South of there this weekend. You should be able to do some nice loops, if not total destination to destination riding. Only a couple more official weeks left, get out while you can!
These pics were taken today mostly on the Truck Trail, from Brevort towards Trout Lake.
Enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trail Map 3-17.jpg (64.1 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by Snow VP : 03-15-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:08 PM   #2
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Re: Trail Conditions 3-15-17

Pics from the truck trail, showing the only bad spot Bobby came across.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:49 PM   #3
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

Thumbs up Re: Trail Conditions 3-15-17

Thanks for the update Neil, looks like me and AllSeason will be UP this weekend for one more therapy session.
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
M.S.A.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:39 PM   #4
Benjamingvsu
Fan Cooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddMeister View Post
Thanks for the update Neil, looks like me and AllSeason will be UP this weekend for one more therapy session.
Can I tag along?
Old 03-15-2017, 11:24 PM   #5
lowersnowgoer
Liquid Cooled

1 last trip..then time for quads and commander..thanks again Neil and the rest of the straits groomers for doing the best with little to work with this year..
Old 03-17-2017, 12:08 AM   #6
Attak06
Fan Cooled

Gonna try get one last ride in this weekend too
Old 03-17-2017, 08:24 AM   #7
Wink
Trail Master

Our last trip was last weekend and had to go to Newberry. Felt like a traitor!!!

If you guys get one more blast, they'll be on the trailer, otherwise have a great summer.

A great big THANKS to Neil and all the groomer drivers for the great job they did this year and in the past. Our system is always the best.

No need to thank me for donating my time and riding there, it's all good!

"Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do!"

Old 03-17-2017, 09:34 AM   #8
Snow VP
Administrator

Got a message in from Bobby late last night. Sun and slightly warmer temps took a bit of a toll in the Epoufette area. Woods should still be mostly OK, but the little connector to the bar took a toll. If you stay out there you may have to so a short trailer now.

Forecast changed a bit too over the last 24 hours. They pushed our snow back 6-10 hours, reduced us to 2 1/2", and looks like we will get it late this afternoon all the way through tomorrow morning now. Unfortunately that may preclude us from running the groomer. It will not matter that much as teh trails are still pretty flat, and the new stuff will top it off and lube the slides some. You will still need to trailer to at least Moran, and probably the Burma Grade North area.

Get out there and find some snow, baring a blizzard this will be the last weekend for the Straits, and very well may be for the state too.

Stay on your side of the trail, have a good time, and remember, it is the fun of the day - and carbides and hyfax are made to be replaced.
Old 03-17-2017, 11:04 AM   #9
lowersnowgoer
Liquid Cooled

Thanks again Neil..... and thanks Wink for update..having a place in Rexton gives us a few options...

P>S> friends of ours stayed at Bobbys place 2 wks ago said very nice and would be back...
Closed Thread