Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 10:24 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 2-20-17

Well, what to say? It is still above freezing - 3rd day in a row, and another 4 more to go at least - with at least one day of rain in there.

Trails South of Cedarville connector (#47 East) are done. Woods are probably still decent, with water and slush puddles. But getting into towns are toast, and there is grass in my front yard already.

It is supposed to get colder on Friday, and they are talking some sort of a storm - maybe rain - maybe snow/sleet.

Start praying for teh March storm, as I believe we are done grooming until it looks like we will be getting more snow.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:35 PM   #2
polaris4me
Trail Master

Default Re: Trail Conditions 2-20-17

Trailered out to the Cedarville trail today. Trails are flat and surprisingly hard, with cloudy sky . Bruma Grade was hard and flat as well. Rode a lot of two tracks today and just came back in to town to get something to eat. Very surprised the trails are that hard, as least the ones we rode today. With the winds we have today the trails are holding up well. With rain coming then the cold coming back friday , the trails will be ice for the weekend. Oh yes I see white caps on Moran bay today. Crazy weather.

M.S.A.
Support the people that support this sport !
Old 02-20-2017, 07:45 PM   #3
Snow VP
Administrator

Trails (roads) on Mackinac Island were actually in pretty good shape too (outside of downtown) I flew over in that blustery wind to do a 'emergency' job and got another 5 miles added to my yearly total.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:01 AM   #4
polaris4me
Trail Master

Not good, it's raining.

M.S.A.
Support the people that support this sport !
Old 02-21-2017, 02:23 PM   #5
Snow VP
Administrator

Just for teh record here, it has been mostly cloudy today. But then again the sun is trying to peek through, and it is already 46d. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer yet, with evening showers.
Old 02-28-2017, 06:48 PM   #6
Wayne Davis
Liquid Cooled

Default Update 2/28

the whole north loop and from Moran north was groomed Monday night, including the cedarville connector. Everything that was groomed was able to freeze down and was in good shape until today. We are gonna survive today's warm up with a little snow tomorrow. Our grade still has several areas with snow so it can be repaired with a little luck. Moran north is still in fair to good condition. The goal is to get everything back in shape for the weekend. I will update on Thursday of how we did

Filling in for Neil

Wayne Davis
Old 03-01-2017, 08:08 AM   #7
Floyd
Trail Master

Thank You Wayne for giving us the updated status. Please keep us posted throughout the next day or so as to any changes. Looks like it's gonna cool off for the weekend, and it looks like there might be some potentially significant system snow coming in today and tonight according to my weather app.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:14 PM   #8
no1 pro
Trail Master

Thanks for the trail report.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:31 PM   #9
Wayne Davis
Liquid Cooled

We are gonna save this upcoming weekend for sure. I just got out of the groomer from panning the grade to st ignace from Moran and the groomer went back out. Both groomers running the next three nights for sure. We got a solid 8 inches today. Cold weather the next three days will be our friend. Other then a couple wet spots and maybe one thin area on the grade by Moran our whole system will be in at least good condition. The cedarville trail on our end is good BUT going north of 134 is NOT do to water and unfrozen swamp. Saturday looks to be the best riding day as Sunday is gonna warm to upper 30s. As for no I would load up for another run cause our days might be numbered. If something changes I will update. Other than that I am out

Taking of Neil for now!

Wayne
Old 03-01-2017, 10:35 PM   #10
lowersnowgoer
Liquid Cooled

Thanks for update plan on riding iggy system this weekend
Old 03-02-2017, 06:33 PM   #11
Wayne Davis
Liquid Cooled

Both groomers are out tonight still trying to pack down yesterday's snow. With a couple of cold nights coming we should be able to hold up with good trails for the weekend. No major issues in our system at the moment. If you are leaving out of st ignace you might find a couple very small thin areas in the open country. Also I am asking if anyone comes across a wheeled vehicle on the snowmobile trail to take a picture and text it to me at 906-298-0588. The last two days we have had some damage to our trails coming right out of town and running for several miles. We have experienced more of this type of crap this year and it's has to change at some point.

Thanks and have a great weekend

Wayne
Old 03-02-2017, 08:36 PM   #12
Alan Thomas
I'm New Here

Thumbs up Re: Trail Conditions 2-20-17

Wayne it's Chris's neighbor Al I'm with you on the moron's in Moran putting two tracks on our trail system. I've seen it throughout the season and really irritates me. I will share anything I happen to see. Thanks for the updates and work you put in on trail system.

Peace:
Old 03-02-2017, 10:45 PM   #13
Bill
Trail Master

Rode all over the Straits system today, WOW! Trails were smooth and fast. A big thanks to Neil, Wayne, and all the other groomer operators that set the gold standard on how to maintain snowmobile trails!
Closed Thread