Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 10:01 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 2-02-17

Not much of a change around here. It has been colder this week, but it also seems that most of the snow has gone around us, and we are not seeing the lake effect others are seeing. The result is a fairly thin trial, that is hard. We still have some problem areas, mostly South of Moran.

What we have is areas that almost completely melted down in the big warm-up, we groomed it flat, and then it refroze. There has only been an inch or two of snow on it since, so although these areas may look white, there will be grinding involved getting past them. Of course, all of the road sides are pretty much in the same condition.

The bad areas are: In St. Ignace, the bridge & town trails South of I-75 including getting to the ice rink parking lot are in bad shape. Going out of St. Ignace on Trail #2 there is a 1/2 mile of very thin trail between Cheeseman Rd & Castle Rock Road at the junction of #471. Proceeding North on #2 there is another mile in the open Hay lake area, and small sections in the Moran area. Once you get just North of Moran, you are in much better condition. Still thin, but adequate snow over top of ice.
Dropping back towards Iggy, on Trail #471 it was plowed for a few miles, all of Castle Rock & Round Lake Roads, so that trail is in good shape starting on the Dam Road, and amazingly the pipeline is in good shape. ON the West side trail #473 Brevort to Epoufette has a few thin sports on it but nothing to keep you from riding. Sand may start poking through in 3-4 locations for a short distance. I have been told the TASA trail from Rexton to Trout Lake is in pretty bad shape with mud and such on the trail. Better to drop down to Trail #2, our Caffey trail to go between them. It is longer but a faster ride.

Other then that, things should be in OK shape out there. G Rooming is going to be done on a very sporadic basis until we get some decent snows. Enjoy the weekend, and be careful in the corners out there, I expect traffic to pick up quite a bit.

EVENTS:

The Bent Ski Classic is still on, and we should be all good to go before this fantastic family friendly trail adventure. Check it out!

Soo I-500: They got the track in good shape, and the Soo has plenty of snow to ride to. While I normally promote people parking in Iggy and riding to the Soo, this year with the low snow trail out of Iggy, I can't recommend that right now. You could to trail to Moran or Trout Lake if you like, please find a parking space that is legal if you do so - I am sorry I don't have recommendations. You could also trail to Brevort. You can drive to the trail stop sign on Schoolhouse road, unload and park along the West side of the gravel road and ride North from there. Please do not block anyone's driveway, and DO NOT PARK in from of our fuel tank in case the groomer needs to get fuel.

Pond Hockey: Bad news the decent ice all blew out of the bay yesterday morning. I will be attending a meeting today to see which backup location that we will be using as I don't think the big lake is an option at this point.

Sorry no trail pics, busy at work today.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:47 AM   #2
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Re: Trail Conditions 2-02-17

Cold out there last night. Single digits, and some ice returned to the bay. It likely is too late to do pond hockey on the bay though.

Town groomer is going to run today sometime, I will report back on the thin areas when I know more.
Closed Thread