Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 11:43 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 1-25-17

Toast. Burnt toast. That about sums up what I found today out there on some of our trails, most namely the RR Grade for 15 miles out of Iggy. Im going to be totally blunt here, stay off the trails. What snow is out there is so soft and saturated that any traffic at all will just blow the snow off, and in most cases you are just going to be smashing into big barely covered slush holes. There is more snow in the woods of course, but destination riding is not going to be easy. All of the road sides are done, melted and plowed back. The pictures I took this morning are kinda deceiving because the somewhat look white, but again it is just so so soft. Now more bad news, no grooming tonight, the forecast has changed and it looks like above freezing temps again tonight, and the next 5 days or so it is not going to get much below freezing.

My plans are right now to try to send out the groomers tomorrow night, and this is only to go out and flatten what is left out there, and smooth the transition between slush holes. This is not going to make a decent ridable surface it is just going to prep us for some cold nights to firm up the base again, and to prep for some top snow to ride on. Yes we will need snow for lubrication once we smooth the base out, there will be noting but ice out there. Right now there is some ice under the snow, but that same ice has held all of the water up and saturated the snow that is on the trail. (BTW, most of the woods that I could see near town were flooded which shows you how much rain we have had recently.)

The longer forecast is snowing that we are supposed to get a little snow here and there, I personally dont think we will see enough on the straits system to make decent riding. The most forecast snow is traditional lake effect so that usually leaves us out. We will need 6 of system snow to get operating at 100% again.

Sorry for the dismal report here. Are out trails closed? No, not officially. Like I said there will be some areas that are OK. For instance, I just wont know if Rexton to Trout Lake is any good until the groomer gets through, but I know the Caffey trail and I will put money on that thing having standing water. Cut River trail? Mostly sand, so probably no standing water, but then again that one looses areas to sun, but would be compromised too.

I hate to do it, but find more snow to ride this weekend, then come back here later in the season. We are now 2 weeks away from the Bent Ski Classic. That is Feb 11, and I think we will be OK on that one, keep or make your plans to come check it out. Pond Hockey is 3 weeks away we need at least a week of sub zero for that one we currently have zero lake ice.

Wherever you ride this weekend, keep the track side down, and the skis pointed in front. Be careful. Anyplace with snow is going to be super busy, and most likely will be icy, especially in the corners. Be super careful, stay on your side of the trail, and bring them home safe and sound.

The attached pictures were all taken this morning (1-25), and within 10 miles of St. Ignace.

Here is the upcoming forecast:
Quote:
Today: Patchy drizzle and fog before 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 36. Calm wind becoming northeast around 5 mph in the afternoon.

Tonight: Snow likely, mainly between 7pm and 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 30. North wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Thursday: Cloudy, with a high near 33. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph.

Thursday Night: Snow showers likely, mainly after 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 25. West wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.

Friday: Snow showers likely, mainly before 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 30. West wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Friday Night: A 50 percent chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 23.

Saturday: Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with a high near 28. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Saturday Night: A chance of snow showers before 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 16.

Sunday: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 23.

Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 13.

Monday: A chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 25.

Monday Night: Snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 20.

Tuesday: Snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 30.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170125_083227.jpg (211.3 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 20170125_083628.jpg (133.1 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg 20170125_083632.jpg (151.6 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 20170125_083919.jpg (130.3 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg 20170125_084037.jpg (122.4 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg 20170125_084227.jpg (113.0 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg 20170125_084600.jpg (103.9 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg 20170125_084615.jpg (118.0 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg 20170125_084641.jpg (126.3 KB, 136 views)
Old 01-26-2017, 09:57 AM   #2
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-25-17

34d at 7 this morning in Iggy. Minor crunch on the snow, but still standing water, so it didn't get that cold last night. Couple flurries in the air though, so this evening will be the time to see if we can lay down the trail base. After that not much snow in the forecast though - but at least we will be ready.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:40 AM   #3
Bill
Trail Master

Thanks for the brutal update and pictures, it is much appreciated.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:10 AM   #4
Snow VP
Administrator

SNOW SNOW SNOW.
OK way over excited here, but we did get snow last night. Just a trace, may 1/16 of an inch. Not enough to report really, but the most important thing is that the above freezing temps seem to be over for now.

Currently we are looking forward to the clipper system for next Tuesday. Supposed to be some system snow with that one.
Old 01-27-2017, 11:40 AM   #5
Snow VP
Administrator

Updated forecast does show an inch or 2 tonight.

Quote:
Today: Snow showers likely, mainly after 4pm. Cloudy, with highs mostly in the lower 30s. West wind between 5 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Tonight: Snow showers. Lows mostly in the lower 20s. West wind between 5 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of around 2 inches.

Saturday: Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with highs mainly in the upper 20s. Northwest wind between 5 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.

Saturday Night: Snow showers likely, mainly before 1am. Cloudy, with lows mostly in the middle teens. North wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Sunday: A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with highs near 20. North wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Sunday Night: A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with lows near 6.

Monday: A 30 percent chance of snow showers after 1pm. Partly sunny, with highs mostly in the lower 20s.

Monday Night: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with lows mostly in the middle teens.

Tuesday: Snow showers likely. Cloudy, with highs mostly in the upper 20s.

Tuesday Night: A chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with lows mainly in the upper teens.

Wednesday: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with highs mainly in the middle 20s.

Wednesday Night: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with lows around 12.

Thursday: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with highs mainly in the lower 20s.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:52 PM   #6
polaris4me
Trail Master

Finally got below freezing here over night. Hopefully winter stays this time.

M.S.A.
Support the people that support this sport !
Closed Thread