Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 10:52 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 1-19-17

So the doomsday weekend is here. We had a great start going, a bit late, but were in great shape, and now a 10 day stretch that is absolutely horrible potential. I'm not going to sugar coat this for you guys, the trails are going to absolutely get hammered across the entire state over teh next 7 days - I don't care what optimistic forecast that you are reading. It is currently 36d, on our way to 40d today. Forecast for teh weekend is over 40d and rain on Saturday. Most of next week will be above freezing and with some rain. This look to improve for teh following weekend, and we are making plans to recover the trail after this hit.

Current conditions are certainly ridable. In fact the groomer ran the North section of trails last night and everything from Brevort, to Trout Lake and CUt River and Rexton are in really really good shape. South of there we did not run, but trails are still in good shape. There are some brown spots showing, and the plowed areas of 471 are slick ice - passable but not fun at all. In and out of town from downtown gas and the Bridge connection - you will find side of bare road riding for sure. I planted a trail teh best I could, but I need lots more snow to fix up town any better.

We are going to inspect the length of the RR grade tomorrow afternoon and if it will help - and not hurt anything we will run the South loop Friday night. That will be the only run out of Iggy for the foreseeable future - if it happens.

The North loop is different, and very likely will see a run on Saturday night. It should hold up just fine over the next 48 hours. A touch-up run on Sat night, and then probably hold off until middle-end of next week. This is assuming that we don't get heavy rain on Saturday.

The future plan is to stay in a holding pattern until things look like they will stay cold and firm up for a decent stretch. At that time we are planning a double run on everything to freeze it down into a smooth base, and it bill once again become a waiting game to get it topped with 6" of fresh for rideable snow.

CONCLUSION:
if this is the only weekend you have to come up here don't change your plans, just realize what you are getting into - late March type of riding. You should be able to get out of town, and ride North. If at all possible, and I can't believe I am saying this - ride NOrth of M-28 though, they have the snow to handle the warmup. (watch for holes and swamps though). If you can change your weekend plans, then hold off. Our trails are OK today but will be dieing a slow death, and traffic will only speed things along dramatically.

I was going to get you pics today, but conditions are going to change hour by hour and along with no time, there isn't much of a point. I will leave you with the forecast that I most trust, and it is pretty bleak:

Quote:
Today: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 37. Southwest wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the morning.

Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28. Calm wind.

Friday: A 40 percent chance of rain after 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 37. East wind around 5 mph.

Friday Night: A 40 percent chance of rain before 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 33. East wind around 5 mph becoming calm.

Saturday: A 30 percent chance of rain after 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 39. East wind around 5 mph.

Saturday Night: A 30 percent chance of rain. Cloudy, with a low around 34.

Sunday: A 40 percent chance of showers. Cloudy, with a high near 39.

Sunday Night: A chance of rain before 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 32.

Monday: Cloudy, with a high near 38.

Monday Night: A chance of rain before 11pm, then rain and snow likely between 11pm and 2am, then snow likely after 2am. Cloudy, with a low around 30.

Tuesday: Rain and snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 36.

Tuesday Night: A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29.

Wednesday: Rain and snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 35.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:25 PM   #2
newm316
Liquid Cooled

Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-19-17

Thanks for the great update Neil.
SnomadS member, Thumbsupsnowmobile member and Les Cheneaux Snowmobile member
Ride Hard Ride Smart and Ride Safe
Old 01-20-2017, 10:18 AM   #3
Snow VP
Administrator

Don't think it got below freezing last night. It was 33d when I got up this morning. Last night I went home to a drizzle, this morning it is very heavy fog with light mist. Everything is saturated.

The only good news is no bright sunshine to help melt the snow.

Forecast has improved just a little bit for middle-end of next week. It has come down about 5d. If it will come down another 4-6d we have a chance of the Wednesday storm to be some snow instead of rain. Lets hope.
Old 01-20-2017, 10:32 AM   #4
Attak06
Fan Cooled

☹️☹️☹️ Why must you treat us like this Michigan?
Old 01-20-2017, 09:11 PM   #5
raypa
Liquid Cooled

Thanks for the brutal honesty
we are going to change our plans and head to Maine this coming week and catch you guys later in February hopefully
Old 01-20-2017, 09:21 PM   #6
Go Fast or Go Home
Trail Master

Does Maine have good snow ??

Haven't even thought of looking in that direction.

Have fun and ride safe.

Don~
Old 01-20-2017, 11:24 PM   #7
raypa
Liquid Cooled

Yes and they are expecting 8-12 Monday night
Old 01-23-2017, 09:32 AM   #8
indootime
Trail Master

I ran everything but the RR Grade into St Iggy. Surprisingly the trails held up very well. Someone is now plowing the the road/trail just east of the bridge heading to Trout Lake/RR Grade from Ozark Rd trail. This trail is probably dirt by now.

Pat
Closed Thread