Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2017, 12:56 PM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 1-09-17

Mother Nature gave us a little gift last night in the form of a solid 5" of snow over all of our system. It is still the light type, that is the only thing that we have gotten this year, so it will compact down thin, but it puts the critical steering & cooling base of snow over what we have. We are darn close to a system wide status upgrade, in fact today I probably could bump it up to good-excellent if it were not for tomorrows forecast. The guessers are still bouncing back and forth between snow and rain tomorrow afternoon, so lets just temper expectations a little. I am liking the later week forecast though, and I really think we will be in great shape for the coming weekend.

Sum it up: Today very good, tomorrow is the question, and by Wed/Thursday I am thinking we will be in great shape.

OK, onto other news, I would like to thank Groomers Ken, Chris and Wayne for working almost throughout the night on Friday to retrieve a groomer that slid down teh bank into teh swamp near Trout Lake. Ken was trying to lay a track around teh hole for teh sledders and the groomer when in. No major damage, and Chris and Wayne helped out with a rescue groomer from Iggy. Great Job guys!

AND, I have had a bunch of calls, e-mails and texts about the numerous atvs and trucks on teh trails in our system. Folks this is nothing new, in lower snow years if a wheeled vehicle can get down a trail they will. Is is right? No. Can we stop them? Only in specific places - namely in the Federal Forest they can't be there. The other places, the law is so grey, it is tough to enforce anything. Sorry to say that we have to deal with it until it gets deep enough they can't get out there. Sorry.

Groomers are running this afternoon, so smile, tings are looking up for the Straits Area!
Old 01-10-2017, 11:26 AM   #2
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-09-17

We didn't get teh 2" forecast for last night, but it is snow pretty hard right now. The predicted 5" for daytime today has now predicted to be 3" with 1/3" rain too around dinner time. I don't think teh rain if we get it will hurt us at all, just bind everything together.

Both groomers ran yesterday, and will probably run again tomorrow. Things are looking pretty darn good out there right now. More info when I get it later.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:28 PM   #3
Snow VP
Administrator

Good 1.5" so far today...
Old 01-10-2017, 03:36 PM   #4
Snow VP
Administrator

wow are we getting hammered
Old 01-10-2017, 04:32 PM   #5
Snow VP
Administrator

Rain has held off so far. 3" and counting. Good wet snow. Good trail building snow.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:12 AM   #6
Snow VP
Administrator

Yesterday was interesting. It snowed like crazy for a good chunk of teh day. We got an Easy 4" in Iggy, and then it turned to rain. LOTS of rain, over 1/4" easy. It socked everything, the roads were just stupid. This morning, every school from Canada to way downstate is closed... except Iggy. The snow in town compacted down about an inch from all the rain, but it is fantastic trail making snow, and will hold up well.

Conditions were too bad last night, so we will run the groomers tonight and get everything packed down again. Storm totals, even after the rain look great. 3" in Iggy, up to 6-7" in Moran and 5" in Cut River.

Now the even better news: Storm is starting again here, and we are looking at another 3-5" by midnight tonight!

I will get another update out when I know more specific info from the trails, but right now things are looking up - way up for this weekend.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:07 PM   #7
snopro7c
Trail Master

that's MUSIC to my ears! Cant wait to get UP there tomorrow night. Its been too long

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!!!!!!
Old 01-12-2017, 08:58 AM   #8
Omooreski
Liquid Cooled

Heading up tomorrow, can't wait. Any update on trails to Trout Lake and Rexton?
Old 01-12-2017, 10:20 AM   #9
conniver04
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omooreski View Post
Heading up tomorrow, can't wait. Any update on trails to Trout Lake and Rexton?
I was there last weekend all all was good. Now with the new snowfall it will be good to excellent. FYI the TASA trail to trout lake form Rexton was open last weekend. Other than that all is good.
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
Closed Thread