Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 12-19-2016, 10:48 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 12-19-16

Baby it's cold outside...

Michigan get hit with a deep freeze, that is for sure. Our friendly neighbors the great lakes are shielding Iggy from the coldest air, but 6d this morning isn't any fun, and much colder if you just go a little outside of town.

So the big storm hit on Friday as expected, and our system did get what we were supposed to, around 8" of snow. Everybody was plowing on Saturday cleaning things up and things are back to normal today. We sent out the groomer on the lower loop on Saturday, and Tucker was able to pan things down and get thens going some. Now there is goo and bad news with this. The good news is that we did get 8" of snow, the bad - and I'm not seeing others talk about this - the snow is horrible for snowmobiles. That 8" of snow is compressing down to 2" or less, barely covering teh rocks on the trail, and worse yet once compressed - as little sense that this makes - it isn't snicking together. It is strange, light yet sugary snow that I can't say I really have dealt with much before. 10" of snow sitting on my truck yesterday just fell apart when hitting it with a broom, and it wasn't even stuck to teh hood at all. I think what we need is some warmer temps to up the water content some and stick things together. (that weather is on the way).

Where the groomer passed, a couple of sleds had traveled down the trail and wiped it right down to the rocks. We will need a few more inches to get things going around here for sure. That is the reason that we haven't rushed a groomer out to teh North and West trails just yet. It will be panned down over the next day or two as temps improve and hopefully stick this sugar together some.

The good news is that it looks like winter out there and the groomer has been on the trail before Christmas and it has been awhile for that. We can be in pretty good shape with just a bit more snow, so stay tuned for updates as I get them from the guys.

The weather for the upcoming week looks like it will be windy and may or may not help us bind the trail together. Next chance of accumulating snow is Thursday.

Quote:
TodayIsolated snow showers before 10am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 26. Southwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph.
TonightCloudy, with a low around 24. Southwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph.
TuesdayA 40 percent chance of snow showers. Areas of blowing snow before 3pm. Cloudy, with a high near 33. Breezy, with a southwest wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 35 mph.
Tuesday NightAreas of blowing snow before 10pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. West wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.
WednesdaySnow likely after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 33. West wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Wednesday NightSnow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 25. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
ThursdayMostly cloudy, with a high near 34.
Thursday NightMostly cloudy, with a low around 26.
FridayPartly sunny, with a high near 35.
Friday NightA chance of snow showers after 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 26.
SaturdayA chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 33.
Saturday NightMostly cloudy, with a low around 19.
Christmas DayA chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 26.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:52 AM   #2
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Re: Trail Conditions 12-19-16

And as I see that some are going with withdrawals, here is some trail candy for you:
Tucker headed out on the first run
And a few shots of the RR Grade at teh Cedarville connector, before and after some panning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20161217_160237.jpg (98.6 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg 20161217_151620.jpg (137.1 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg 20161217_151624.jpg (133.2 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 20161217_151627.jpg (115.2 KB, 92 views)
Old 12-19-2016, 11:01 AM   #3
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

Thumbs up Re: Trail Conditions 12-19-16

Gotta luv them pics, eh!
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
M.S.A.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:17 PM   #4
indootime
Trail Master

Thanks for posting the pics, LOVE IT!
Old 12-19-2016, 12:49 PM   #5
indootime
Trail Master

Feel free to run the groomer alongside Schoolhouse Rd and into Brevort!! I need a groomed loop around my camper next to the Whitetail. Just Kidding, but it would sure be great!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1409.jpg (40.8 KB, 87 views)
Old 12-19-2016, 02:26 PM   #6
Snow VP
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by indootime View Post
Feel free to run the groomer alongside Schoolhouse Rd and into Brevort!! I need a groomed loop around my camper next to the Whitetail. Just Kidding, but it would sure be great!!
We will groom right into Brevort as soon as teh locals get a usable route permitted. That offer has been up for some time.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:48 PM   #7
indootime
Trail Master

I know, I know...I'll work on them.

Pat
Old 12-20-2016, 10:57 AM   #8
Snow VP
Administrator

The big chill is gone, the big wind is here. 28d today with sustained winds of 20+ gusts up to 50mph along Lamke Michigan. I predict some power outages today.
1" of snow predicted today, and 2"-4" more in 2 days.
Long way off some are predicting a Christmas storm.
Closed Thread