Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 12:50 PM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 3-25-16

So, the last weekend of the season and we get our best storm of the year. It snow and blew something fierce over the last full 24 hours. The first part of the storm we didn't get a ton of snow, so I was thinking it would be a bust, but after the winds settled a bit, the accumulation started to add up. We got between 8-10 of system snow out of this. It is a medium density snow, not lake effect, but not wet either, which means it will settle some for sure. I went out and drove the RR Grade from Cheeseman to Castle rock, and it is certainly early season conditions out there. We had zero base 2 days ago, everything was long melted away, so it is starting from scratch - all of the bumps and such are under the snow. There have been a few people out, and it looks like breaking trail is a blast. There will be a few sticks and rocks, but not too bad. Any water holes will not be frozen for sure.

So, where does that leave us? You want to go riding, have at it, it will be a blast, and knowing our trails, you will have very very little problems and will put down some miles for sure. You will have to deal with the little to no base issue, maybe the few rocks or sticks, the occasional bent over tree, but it will be riding for sure. Will I be grooming? Not officially. It is good Friday, and I can't put a full run in today. We will have a groomer in Epoufette/Cut River area, and I just talked to Ken and he is going to bring it back to St. Ignace for the summer this afternoon grooming the whole way. He will make the decision on the way in on how much to cover, he may go to Trout Lake (did not hear how much they got) or he may just groom across #2, and right into town via the RR Grade. So you will have 35-60 miles of groomed trail to ride, and the rest are snow covered and would be fun.

It is 30d right now and all the roads are melting down. The forecast has us at 40 tomorrow and Sunday, with rain on Sunday morning. I am thinking the snow isn't going to stick around much, and there is no sense in going out and grooming any more then what is on tap today. So the sorry of this season has been ride when you can, and if you want have at it today and tomorrow, as it will be getting slushy pretty quick.

Story totals as far as I know:
8-10" in St. Ignace, 10" in Moran, and 6" in Epoufette / Cut River.

Some final trail candy for you this season, this was taken this morning just North of Cheeseman Road, outside of St. Ignace, and then 4 miles North at #2 & #471 (Castle Rock Rd)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160325_085601.jpg (134.2 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg 20160325_085618.jpg (173.6 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg 20160325_093901.jpg (149.9 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 20160325_093905.jpg (184.0 KB, 100 views)
Old 03-25-2016, 11:12 PM   #2
polaris4me
Trail Master

Default Re: Trail Conditions 3-25-16

Should-a , would-a , could-a. Mother Nature is just wasting snow now. Looks good though.

M.S.A.
Support the people that support this sport !
Old 03-26-2016, 06:22 PM   #3
Snow VP
Administrator

Its half gone already.
Old 03-27-2016, 09:43 PM   #4
Snow VP
Administrator

And as predicted, trails are shot again.
Closed Thread