Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2016, 02:00 PM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 2-20-16

HAMMERED!

We got heavy rain last night melting about 1/2 of the snow that we had. We have bare gravel in Moran and Hay Lake areas. We had huge rains last night and lots 1/2 our snow. Trails are icy, wet and slushy, and getting tore up. Here is what I don't understand, I am getting reports of huge traffic out there just tearing things up! Can't believe there is so many sleds in our area riding today, but I also heard about thunderstorms in Traverse City and Munising last night, maybe that is pushing riders our way.

I have people check the trails this afternoon, and tentatively plan on a panning mission tonight to flatten down what is left of teh slush - assuming the temps are going to get cold enough and there is anything left from the sleds. Most of the woods areas are fairing OK, but the slush holes especially in the open areas are blowing out from all the traffic.

Note: Pond hockey for this weekend is cancelled, and I destroyed all of the rinks this morning returning the trail to the proper location, but still use caution as the majority of the trail North of the ice rink are just that, zambonied ice rinks.
Old 02-20-2016, 03:37 PM   #2
conniver04
Trail Master

Default Re: Trail Conditions 2-20-16

I have never seen so many trailers headed south on a Sat. Talked to a few guys that were in Munsing and said they rode 20 miles and are headed home. Lots of mud. We're holding our own but this is the most traffic I have seen all year. After this weekend we need some snow. Lost lots of base last night. Come on mother nature we want one more weekend.
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
Old 02-21-2016, 12:22 PM   #3
Snow VP
Administrator

Reports of the rr geade from hay lake to moran area about bare. Still should be able to get out of town on the west side of the lower loop. Trails will be crunchy for sure but I thibk they will be salvagable. We will need some snow for sure.
Old 02-22-2016, 09:24 AM   #4
skidoodude04
Trail Master

Hammered is an understatement. Snopro7c and I rode Saturday and tried to play on power lines as much as possible and ride the trail to get places to play. Early in the day the trails were soft and very slow with slush and water holes on inside corners. As we got closer to Strongs the trails got better as it didn't look like they got as much rain. By the time we got home Saturday night the trails were absolutely beat to a pulp. Going to need some cold weather and snow for another ride to be possible. Sad to say but im banking on that being my last ride of the year :/ I was very shocked at the traffic we seen on Saturday. We passed more sleds and seen more sleds at the bars on our trail system then I have all year.
Closed Thread