Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 10:42 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 2-18-16

Today I will rate all (but 2 miles) of our trails as good to excellent. Get our and enjoy the trails Thursday while you can. 30 hours from now I will downgrade them to fair-poor. The bad early forecast is still holding, and they are calling for 40d temps starting on Friday,and holding through Sunday, with Friday night having 1-1.25 in of rain, with above freezing temps through the night at least on Friday. Thursday night will the a grooming run, then we will park them until it looks like it is headed down below freezing. Our trails are almost perfect right now, and I don't want to mess them up pulling gravel up grooming while is is really soft. IF we can get through the next 2 days, it is supposed to cool down again and I think we should be OK, with the exception of the 2 problems miles that we have had all year. Youth Pond Hockey in Iggy is cancelled for the weekend, so motel rooms are opened up, and you can head this way if you like, however being honest, if you can push a weekend trip, I would skip this weekend as all of Northern Michigan, and especially the EUP will be in the same boat.

Sorry for the doom and gloom, just telling you the way it is. Going to try to run the groomers, maybe Saturday night, but most likely on Sunday night to try to pan down the wet snow and get the base flat. The upcoming week isn't looking really good for snow, but if we can squeak a few inches out we should be right back to excellent conditions by mid-week.

Remember the Bent Ski Classic snowmobile adventure run is back on the 27th. http://www.straitsareasnowmobileclub...ead.php?t=1776

If you want to try a small motel that totally supports our club 30 minutes West of Iggy try groomer Bobs motel: http://www.straitsareasnowmobileclub...ead.php?t=1769

Sorry no trail pic today, gotta deadline at work, but I will try to grab one at lunch.
Old 02-18-2016, 04:13 PM   #2
xmxzx
I'm New Here

Default Re: Trail Conditions 2-18-16

I have a small group riding out of St. Ignace Friday through Sunday. Probably won't even try riding on Friday but I would like to try and ride Saturday and Sunday. Is there and good place to trailer out of town or do you think we should go to Trout Lake?
Old 02-18-2016, 05:44 PM   #3
Go Fast or Go Home
Trail Master

I understand the Youth Pond Hockey has been cancelled.

You may be able to park your rigs at the Ice Arena.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:31 AM   #4
polaris4me
Trail Master

Coating of snow but also have a coating of ice. Rain later today, with winds as high as 40mpr. They are calling for rain to turn to snow, but temps above freezing through Sunday.

M.S.A.
Support the people that support this sport !
Old 02-19-2016, 10:38 AM   #5
Snow VP
Administrator

The weather guessing fools missed it a little again. We got a surprise 1/2" in Iggy and 1.5" in Cut River before the freezing rain last night. Holding our own now, at temps climb over 32d. They have toned down the rain forecast a bit for tonight, guess it will depend on the temps now. Actually calling for just a bit of snow on Sunday morning - that just may keep us in good shape.

As for parking, yes Youth Pond Hockey was cancelled, so parking in the South ice rink lot is fair game. Trails out of Iggy should still be OK today - please tread lightly ad watch the ice on Cast Rock Road as it will probably get slick later today. If we looses the trail out of town tomorrow you could trailer to Moran and park at the gas station for the day (as permission and buy some gas) It should be OK going North out of there.

We got through the first park OK, lets hope the next 36 hours go as well.
Old 02-19-2016, 04:41 PM   #6
Floyd
Trail Master

Thanks for the encouraging news, Neil. Keeping our fingers crossed for the weekend, and hopefully the weather junkies miss the forecast (at least through the next couple days).
Old 02-20-2016, 03:29 PM   #7
conniver04
Trail Master

It rained hard last night. It's a mess
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
Closed Thread