Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 09:49 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 2-11-16

Just a quick update here, I have to get out and meet with the mechanic to get a boggie replaced on #5. No be deal, it will be on the trail later this evening.

COLD COLD COLD. This winter has finally found the freezebox door, and is overcompensating for the mild weather. Temps today in the single digits, which is the story through the weekend. Extra thermal cloths as the high on Saturday is 1 degree, and overnight -17 expected. With that the lake effect machine is kicking in and the snowbelts are hogging all of the snow. Only 1" total expected in our area over the next 4-5 days, so we have what we have. Which is just fine. Trails got seriously tore up and much worse then our high standards last weekend. It has taken a couple days to get them fixed up, but I can say after this afternoons run things will be just great. The same old story, low snow in Moran on #2 is a little issue for 1 mile. That is the only problem in our whole system, everything else is very good condition. Groomers will run through the weekend, with the exception of maybe Saturday night. If traffic is light on Saturday I may hold the Saturday night run just due to the temps.

Pond Hockey update:
Some ice is finally forming on the bay, just in the last 24 hours. That is not nearly enough, so it is good to see that all of the rinks North of the ice rink are in good shape for the 10th annual LaBatt Blue Pond UP Hockey Championship. Most of town is sold out, but if you can get a room you may have the trails to yourself. remember there is a free shuttle covering the whole town all weekend, and the Red Wings Alumni game on Friday night. Beer tent and free viewing of hockey games all weekend.

PLEASE STAY OFF any area being prepped for hockey, it is a huge deal in this town, and it is going to be tough to pull it off as it is, without people trashing the rinks during construction. The rinks may be partially built onto the trail North of the Ice rink. There will be a very short re-route around and in-between the rinks, please follow the barrels, DRIVE SLOW, and STAY ON TRAIL!!!!!

Trailhead:
This weekend I recommend NOT parking at the ice rink trail head, it is going to be stupid crazy around there. Alternatives are the Starline RR Dock across from the downtown Shell station, The shoulder of Cheeseman Road, North of the ice rink, East of I-75, or Lant Road/Cast Rock Road, with easy access to the trail.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #2
no1 pro
Trail Master

Default Re: Trail Conditions 2-11-16

Neil

When is the pond hockey tournement ? This weekend ?

And thanks for all you and your club members do on the Straits Area trails.

Dave G
Old 02-11-2016, 12:10 PM   #3
Snow VP
Administrator

Adult pond hockey is this weekend, Fri-Sun. Kids is next weekend, Fri-Sun.

I likely will destroy some rinks after they are both done to restore the trail, but not sure.

Parking will resume normal during next week, and after the 21st.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:16 PM   #4
kraemerf
I'm New Here

How are conditions in the Cedarville area? Are the swamps frozen? Can you run the ice from Hessel to Cedarville?
Old 02-11-2016, 01:24 PM   #5
Go Fast or Go Home
Trail Master

Can't tell you about the ice, but I can welcome you to the site.

WELCOME !!!!
Old 02-11-2016, 03:10 PM   #6
kraemerf
I'm New Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Fast or Go Home View Post
Can't tell you about the ice, but I can welcome you to the site.

WELCOME !!!!
Thanks. Been lurking for a while....first post.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:31 PM   #7
Snow VP
Administrator

I would not trust any ice on the big lake. St. Ignace bay was completely ice-free yesterday. With the serious cold temps over the next couple of days, ice is forming fast, which is bad as you don't know how long it has been there. As always, check locally before venturing out.

Only thing I know about the Cedarville area is they are trying to groom. Lots of swamps were unfrozen last weekend, so I can't imagine they would be any different. We are only grooming towards them once a week as we are seeing low traffic in that direction. You will have to check with that club to see if anything is a problem area.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:10 PM   #8
polaris4me
Trail Master

Good to here the trails are in good shape. We be up the 15th for the week. First ride of the year. Wow middle of Feb. for the first ride. Time to put some miles on. See u on the trails.

M.S.A.
Support the people that support this sport !
Old 02-13-2016, 10:50 AM   #9
Bill
Trail Master

We were ridding on the Straits system Thurs. and as usual, EXCELLENT conditions, the GOLD STANDARD of trail grooming and maintenance. I do have one question, we were on trail 471 about 2 miles in from where they are plowing for the logging and here are 2 goof balls on the trail, one in a silver Ford pick up and another in a side by side with tracks on the trail hunting. Are other vehicles allowed on the trail after grooming has started? Just thought I would ask. Again, GREAT trails.
Old 02-13-2016, 05:57 PM   #10
Snow VP
Administrator

Bill,
if it is on USFS lands, or private lands, and a groomed trail, then yes they are breaking the law and can be ticketed. Unfortunately if they are on DNR lands, or County roads, then no they can argue they have the right to use the trail, even though they would never be able to get in there in the winter unless it is groomed - which we pay for. The MSA is trying to get a bill sponsored in Lansing that will outlaw wheeled vehicles and tracked ATVs on groomed snowmobile trails. It is controversial to say the lease and it is still sitting in Lansing a year later without a sponsor. I don't know if we will ever see a rule like that get passed. They sure do make a mess of the trail and create a trail hazard when they are there though.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:14 PM   #11
Bill
Trail Master

Thanks for the info Neil. With all the hard work you and your crew do to have the best trails in the state you don't need that to deal with! Again, thanks to you and the crew for your dedication.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:13 AM   #12
lowersnowgoer
Liquid Cooled

I agree with Bill on both case trucks making a mess of a few trails and you guys have set the bar very high with your trail conditions.GREAT JOB STRAITS.....Thank You

p.s. Hope you guys get to do some teaching at groomer seminar!!!!
Old 02-15-2016, 11:42 AM   #13
conniver04
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraemerf View Post
How are conditions in the Cedarville area? Are the swamps frozen? Can you run the ice from Hessel to Cedarville?
Welcome to the site. Great place to get some information and make some new friends.

I talked to a few people this past weekend that went that way and said it was not real good. It was passable but not good. I have no idea on the ice. I don't mind riding ice at all but as Neil said I wouldn't trust the big lake. Even some of these inland lakes are sketchy this season. Good luck on your ride.
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
Closed Thread