Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 10:27 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 2-08-16

A tale of two weekends around here. Thursday & Friday we had some of the best trail conditions that we have seen all season. Flat as a board, and lots of snow (for this year) to rail the trails. There was a ton of traffic on Friday, which tore things up, and Saturday finished it off with warmer temps. Saturday did not go well, our town groomer driver was injured in the afternoon, (Get well buddy) and I wasn't able to line up a replacement driver. A Big thanks to groomer driver Bobby from the Skyline motel http://www.straitsareasnowmobileclub...ead.php?t=1769
as he stepped up and groomed a super loop doing about 2/3 of our trails on Saturday night. He had to skip some areas in order to get the most done overnight so you would have found good trail going to crap in a hurry in some areas. No one drives on Super bowl evening, so we will work to get things fixed up here in the next day or so. Not helping the situation is is got warm Saturday night, really warm Sunday, and it is still above freezing today. 34d on Sat, up to 40s on Sunday, and still 36-38d overnight, with today staying in the low 30s isn't helping us out at all.

The forecast improves though, it is supposed to be below freezing tonight, and a burst of 1-3" tomorrow night, which will help. Moderate cold temps will set the trail this week, and since it is pond hockey it will be bitter cold - single digits, and negative teens this coming weekend.

This weekend could have been better by our standards, but don't fret, things will be fixed back up here soon.

POND HOCKEY: Rinks are built, and flooding continues, obviously, the last couple of days were not kind. With the forecast there should be no problem building up the ice over the coming week, so until I hear different, the tournament is still on, and should go off OK. This weekend I recommend NOT parking at the ice rink trail head, it is going to be stupid crazy around there. Alternatives are the Starline RR Dock across from the downtown Shell station, The shoulder of Cheeseman Road, North of the ice rink, East of I-75, or Lant Road/Cast Rock Road, with easy access to the trail. Reminder, there are a few rooms left in town, but most are booked for the coming weekend. Bringing me to:

WARNING:Many of you know that pond hockey in St. Ignace is coming up in a few weeks. Mother nature has not cooperated at all, consequently the organizers have built rinks around and North of the Ice Rink in St. Ignace. PLEASE STAY OFF any are being prepped for hockey, it is a huge deal in this town, and it is going to be tough to pull it off as it is, without people trashing the rinks during construction. The rinks may be partially built onto the trail North of the Ice rink. There will be a very short re-route around and in-between the rinks, please follow the barrels, DRIVE SLOW, and STAY ON TRAIL!!!!!
Old 02-08-2016, 11:27 AM   #2
Johnny Cash
I'm New Here

Default Re: Trail Conditions 2-08-16

Will parking at the dock from Wednesday morning to Sunday be ok?
Old 02-08-2016, 11:32 AM   #3
Snow VP
Administrator

Should be. Better there long term then the roadsides. Just make sure you park intelligently, at the South end first, and in-line.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:59 PM   #4
lowersnowgoer
Liquid Cooled

How are trails doing with colder weather and the little snow received..We are going to our cabin in Rexton tomorrow for long weekend????
Old 02-10-2016, 06:03 PM   #5
lowersnowgoer
Liquid Cooled

Does Bob's family own bay view also...just wanted to be able to support...thanks again for all you guys do.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:44 PM   #6
conniver04
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowersnowgoer View Post
Does Bob's family own bay view also...just wanted to be able to support...thanks again for all you guys do.
I don't believe so. Corin at the Cut River Inn has always supported the club and thats where we always stop in.
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:45 PM   #7
conniver04
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowersnowgoer View Post
How are trails doing with colder weather and the little snow received..We are going to our cabin in Rexton tomorrow for long weekend????
When I left on Monday everything was good and only gonna get better after the groomer and then the cold weather.
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
Closed Thread