Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums
 

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2016, 11:10 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator
 
Snow VP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: St. Ignace
Posts: 2,819
Default Trail Conditions 1-25-16

A good weekend of riding in the straits area for sure. Mild temps and flat trails will let you get miles done going from place to place. Sadly, it got quite a bit warmer then it was supposed to be, in fact high predicted temps of the mid twenties turned into pushing 36-40 at my house. The trails held up OK, but were hurt some, as we have now pulled some more rocks up from the gravel on the RR Grade, and the pipeline is thinning out again. I worry a little about the plowed sections from the loggers, but they are OK as of today.

The big worry is the forecast, a possible 2-3 in of snow tomorrow night will help out, but the temps for the next week or so are really mild, hovering around 30. All of the lake ice between here and Mackinac Island is gone, melted and blew out on Saturday. Pond hockey is in real jeopardy right now, with land based locations being looked at very closely.

I think the trails will be OK, and at least hold their condition for the coming weekend. Remember, we are quite thin, but they are all still very rideable, and you will encounter few problems, (and few sleds compared to some of the madhouse locations this year).

Some info from over the weekend: on the TASA trail, just East of Rexton a big water hold opened up, if you are entering Rex form the East, no way around it. Some rode through, some turned around - hope that one freezes up soon. And we got a nice feel-good story as a few friends rode from Iggy to Houghton, Wisconsin and back, reporting that the Straits trails are about the best that they rode in the 1200 miles. We consistently do more with less snow then other areas, so don't be afraid to drop trailer and give s a try around here - remember if you are heading to ride in Newberry, you can leave St. Ignace and be in Newberry faster by sled then by truck!

I will make a couple of updates later in the week and let you know exactly what the trails are doing for the upcoming weekend. Darn it Mother Nature... COOPERATE!!!
__________________
-- Neil
VP Straits Area Snowmobile Club
Snow VP is offline  
Old 01-25-2016, 03:34 PM   #2
conniver04
Trail Master
 
conniver04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Newport Mi
Posts: 1,655
Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-25-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow VP View Post
A good weekend of riding in the straits area for sure. Mild temps and flat trails will let you get miles done going from place to place. Sadly, it got quite a bit warmer then it was supposed to be, in fact high predicted temps of the mid twenties turned into pushing 36-40 at my house. The trails held up OK, but were hurt some, as we have now pulled some more rocks up from the gravel on the RR Grade, and the pipeline is thinning out again. I worry a little about the plowed sections from the loggers, but they are OK as of today.

The big worry is the forecast, a possible 2-3 in of snow tomorrow night will help out, but the temps for the next week or so are really mild, hovering around 30. All of the lake ice between here and Mackinac Island is gone, melted and blew out on Saturday. Pond hockey is in real jeopardy right now, with land based locations being looked at very closely.

I think the trails will be OK, and at least hold their condition for the coming weekend. Remember, we are quite thin, but they are all still very rideable, and you will encounter few problems, (and few sleds compared to some of the madhouse locations this year).

Some info from over the weekend: on the TASA trail, just East of Rexton a big water hold opened up, if you are entering Rex form the East, no way around it. Some rode through, some turned around - hope that one freezes up soon. And we got a nice feel-good story as a few friends rode from Iggy to Houghton, Wisconsin and back, reporting that the Straits trails are about the best that they rode in the 1200 miles. We consistently do more with less snow then other areas, so don't be afraid to drop trailer and give s a try around here - remember if you are heading to ride in Newberry, you can leave St. Ignace and be in Newberry faster by sled then by truck!

I will make a couple of updates later in the week and let you know exactly what the trails are doing for the upcoming weekend. Darn it Mother Nature... COOPERATE!!!
That statement is so true! We rode some areas that had 3 times the snow the straits had and the straits trails were heads and tails better groomed and smooth. We encountered a bunch of different clubs on our travels across the UP, and the Straits and Seney were by far the best. i wish some other clubs could take some grooming lessons from these clubs and see what its supposed to look like. After our trip across and back I'm very proud to call teh Straits trails my home and put my time in to help them maintain in the fashion were accustomed to. Keep up the great work guys!
__________________
Kenny
Ride hard and be safe.
14 MXZX 1200
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
conniver04 is offline  
Old 01-26-2016, 10:48 AM   #3
Snow VP
Administrator
 
Snow VP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: St. Ignace
Posts: 2,819
Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-25-16

Iggy has 2-3" of fresh wet snow this morning, just what the trails ordered!
__________________
-- Neil
VP Straits Area Snowmobile Club
Snow VP is offline  
Old 01-26-2016, 06:13 PM   #4
conniver04
Trail Master
 
conniver04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Newport Mi
Posts: 1,655
Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-25-16

That is great news!!! See you Friday.
__________________
Kenny
Ride hard and be safe.
14 MXZX 1200
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
conniver04 is offline  
Old 01-26-2016, 08:08 PM   #5
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller
 
ToddMeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 1,414
Thumbs up Re: Trail Conditions 1-25-16

Yep, will be UP this weekend
__________________
2016 Yamaha SR Viper LTX LE Turbo
2012 Yamaha RS Vector LTX
Member of:
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
M.S.A.
ToddMeister is offline  
Old 01-26-2016, 10:55 PM   #6
Schuie
Trail Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Toledo, Ohio
Posts: 65
Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-25-16

Just trying to nail down where the water hole is on 475 east of rexton, TASA says it's by the power lines, if it is directly under the power lines you can ride down h-40 about a mile and pick up the road that the trail ultimately makes it to. Am I correct in this? Unless it's somewhere between H-40 and Molly Gibbs, then I could see not being able to make a detour around it.
Schuie is offline  
Old 01-26-2016, 11:26 PM   #7
Go Fast or Go Home
Trail Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: White Pigeon, Mi 49099
Posts: 153
Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-25-16

Our group will be in St. Ignace on the 3-4-5-6 February.

Staying at the Budget Host.

Big group this year--20 men and women. Thank goodness some ride in different directions. Couldn't imagine trying to get that many on a ride together.

Fun part is the partying when we all get to the hotel or Casino at the end of the day.
Go Fast or Go Home is offline  
Old 01-27-2016, 06:41 AM   #8
Wink
Trail Master
 
Wink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Celina, OH
Posts: 1,410
Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-25-16

We should be UP that weekend as well.
__________________
Member:
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
MSA


"Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do!"


Wink is offline  
Old 01-27-2016, 09:56 AM   #9
Snow VP
Administrator
 
Snow VP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: St. Ignace
Posts: 2,819
Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-25-16

They have moved the forecast a bit, now saying that we may be getting another 3" tonight!
__________________
-- Neil
VP Straits Area Snowmobile Club
Snow VP is offline  
Old 01-27-2016, 11:05 AM   #10
conniver04
Trail Master
 
conniver04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Newport Mi
Posts: 1,655
Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-25-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow VP View Post
They have moved the forecast a bit, now saying that we may be getting another 3" tonight!
And the hits keep a coming... Woo Hoo
__________________
Kenny
Ride hard and be safe.
14 MXZX 1200
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
conniver04 is offline  
Old 01-27-2016, 01:21 PM   #11
lowersnowgoer
Liquid Cooled
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Birch Run ,MI
Posts: 21
Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-25-16

we have a cabin in rexton ..was up last weekend and saw that hole you can get around it by just staying on h 400 a couple 100 yds further...last sunday rode with my son from cut river to rail grade on a fresh white carprt compliments of straits grooming it was awesome thanks again....
lowersnowgoer is offline  
Old 01-27-2016, 03:47 PM   #12
conniver04
Trail Master
 
conniver04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Newport Mi
Posts: 1,655
Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-25-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
We should be UP that weekend as well.
Me too!
__________________
Kenny
Ride hard and be safe.
14 MXZX 1200
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
conniver04 is offline  
Old 01-27-2016, 05:06 PM   #13
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller
 
ToddMeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 1,414
Thumbs up Re: Trail Conditions 1-25-16

I will try for two in a row

Quote:
Originally Posted by conniver04 View Post
Me too!
__________________
2016 Yamaha SR Viper LTX LE Turbo
2012 Yamaha RS Vector LTX
Member of:
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
M.S.A.
ToddMeister is offline  
Old 01-27-2016, 06:43 PM   #14
Go Fast or Go Home
Trail Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: White Pigeon, Mi 49099
Posts: 153
Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-25-16

Sound like St. Ignace will be party central that weekend !!!!!!!!!
Go Fast or Go Home is offline  
Old 01-28-2016, 06:40 AM   #15
Wink
Trail Master
 
Wink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Celina, OH
Posts: 1,410
Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-25-16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Fast or Go Home View Post
Sound like St. Ignace will be party central that weekend !!!!!!!!!

I very seldom party! ................... Only when I'm alone or with somebody!
__________________
Member:
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
MSA


"Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do!"


Wink is offline  
Old 01-28-2016, 10:22 AM   #16
Go Fast or Go Home
Trail Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: White Pigeon, Mi 49099
Posts: 153
Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-25-16

I've heard that about Buckeyes........................................
Go Fast or Go Home is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ? 2016 - Straits Area Snowmobile Club