Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 01:06 PM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 1-04-16

First post of the year is the same as last year.

Trails are thin but ridable (most everywhere in the EUP)
We have little frost, so basically no base. Our trails are not worn out yet, but we will need more snow if they are going to improve at all.

As far as I know we have all of the trails cleared of tree obstructions. The groomer is out right now getting the last of the trails on its first pass towards Cedarville. We are contending with heavy truck traffic throughout the whole system, and not much we can do about the joy-riders until the snow get deeper - that means you are going to deal with ruts and tire tracks for now. Still fairly warm temps means that there is still going to be water holes out there probably through this week. We will have to see if the loggers out on the cut river trail cooperate, but for now the trail is plowed and considered passable.

The forecast is not favorable for sleds.
Cold today, but it is going to warm up to right around freezing for the rest of the week. Possible snow in the forecast on Friday - is what they are saying now. They are starting to talk cold air and lake effect maybe next week.

Grooming right now is a tough call. We have to be careful to to wear out what we have, yet have a decent trail if people want to ride. Normally I would have the guys drive the frost down into the ground and get an ice base going, but the forecast isn't any help with that. Everything have been panned down once, so that is a start. I am going to hold any more runs until late week, and see what happens with the weather. If the Friday 1-3" forecast holds, we will run Thursday and prep things for Friday, and depending on how much we get, maybe a Friday or Saturday run too.

Thank you to anyone who helped out the groomers and moved / cut brush on the trails, it is a big help.

Consider it early season riding, and you may want to hunt across the state and get what you can this season.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:48 PM   #2
bsmith809
I'm New Here

Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-04-16

Hi Neil
Heading to trout Lake Thursday night for the weekend. Are some areas/trails better then others? If I am in Trout Lake, what direction seemed to have the best snow cover at this point?

Thanks
Old 01-04-2016, 09:30 PM   #3
Schuie
Trail Master

We were up last weekend. Went to Strongs Friday night and played around the whole straits system Saturday. There are a couple water holes but nothing that couldn't be navigated, headed to Strongs you have to detour for about a 1/4 mile. We didn't go down it to find out, but I would stay away from Molly Gibbs, it's the trail west to rexton, I know it's pretty swampy normally.
Old 01-04-2016, 11:27 PM   #4
906UP
Junior Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuie View Post
We were up last weekend. Went to Strongs Friday night and played around the whole straits system Saturday. There are a couple water holes but nothing that couldn't be navigated, headed to Strongs you have to detour for about a 1/4 mile. We didn't go down it to find out, but I would stay away from Molly Gibbs, it's the trail west to rexton, I know it's pretty swampy normally.
Until 473(West to Rexton) gets froze up you can head South out of TL on 470 and pick up 2 going West, it comes in to Rexton by the RR tracks/473 and you avoid the swampy area.
Old 01-05-2016, 09:35 AM   #5
conniver04
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith809 View Post
Hi Neil
Heading to trout Lake Thursday night for the weekend. Are some areas/trails better then others? If I am in Trout Lake, what direction seemed to have the best snow cover at this point?

Thanks
Any of the straits trails are passable as of last Sat. The trail to Cut river is being logged so I would avoid that. If you wanna go to Rexton and then North to Newberry Etc... Come back to the truck trail and then take the Caffey up to Rexton like 906UP said. that trail is in good shape and maintained by us. The other trail is maintained by TASA and they don't even attempt to get through there untill everything is solidly froze as its all swamp. I rode through TL last Friday and went up to Strongs with no problem. Few bare spots and still thin but passable. We did run into a decent bit of traffic so not sure what they were like by the end of teh weekend. There isnt enough snow and base to hold up to alot of traffic. If you know any of the 2 tracks or forest roads thats where I would go unless we get some snow. Hope that helps..
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:44 PM   #6
Snow VP
Administrator

As Kenny and 906 said, it is almost ALWAYS a better bet to drop down from TL, onto our trail when riding to Rexton. Most of teh time it is teh same time-wise as running the more direct rout as our trail is wider and smoother. Not TASA fault, just the condition of the swamp.

From their trail report:
Quote:
South Trail #9/2 to Epoufette/Trout Lake Do not attempt to ride between Caffey Corners and Trout Lake in the wet area it is not frozen due to our warm weather.
The guys that are reporting other location conditions are a better source then I. I talk to my groomers, those guys are riding outside our system and have actually seen the other trails.

FYI:
Our groomer did make the Cedarville run yesterday, and it is clear of trees, the trail is in good shape, with the exception of along Mackinac Trail, where it is really thin. Groomer returns to Iggy this afternoon to clean up a couple of things. No additional runs for a few days.
Old 01-05-2016, 02:39 PM   #7
indootime
Trail Master

Burma Grade was perfect on Saturday, all other trails getting thin and RR Grade from Burma to BP were ok, BP to St Ignace was bad. Off trail...perfect!

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (24.9 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg image1.JPG (146.3 KB, 65 views)
Old 01-06-2016, 11:27 PM   #8
skidoodude04
Trail Master

Burma grade was beautiful by picture but everytime I hammered it I instantly dug down to dirt and rocks. Just need some snow over this base! Let it snow!!!
Closed Thread