Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 10:55 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 3-09-15

What a fantastic weekend of riding it was! Mild temps, and great trail resulted in the heaviest traffic that we have seen all year for sure. It started last Thursday and ran right through Sunday afternoon with nothing but sled after sled after sled. The traffic definitely took a tool on Saturday as both groomers reported the roughest trails that they have groomed this season. The strange thing is I went to check the trails at 6pm Saturday near town and they were is decent shape. Loose, and some bumps, but that that bad for the traffic that we had.
Here are a couple pics from that time:
20150307_173657.jpg
20150307_173703.jpg
20150307_175156.jpg
20150307_175213.jpg

Now onto what you all want to know, looking into my crystal ball, what is the coming days and weekend going to look like. Well the forecast did change over the weekend, and not for the better on the sledding community - BUT it could be worse and it is not going to kill our fun, however since it is now the second week of march, I do believe that it is the beginning of the end of the season.

So looking at the available forecasts and combining it with the info on our trail system, here is the skinny:
If you are looking to ride this week, go ahead and continue your plans, you will have zero issues, and have a great trail to ride on. Please be easy on the trails as they will be really soft, and will tear up easily. The forecast is showing 35-40d temps from today through next Sunday-Monday, all with mostly sunny skys, but the important this is, no rain at all in the forecast. It will get cool, but not cold at night, just below freezing, which will help things out some, but I think by next Tuesday we will loose approximately 1/2 of our overall snowpack on the trails. That is OK, we can survive that, we are storing snow on the side of the trails and can bring that in next weekend to have a workable trail.

The following week, we are looking at a long-term forecast so the exact temps are no known, but the places I have looked at are putting us back into the 20d temps for the next week, with maybe just a little snow. It will take a full fledged storm to being the trails back to what they are now, so don't look for miracle. Will the trails still be ridable, I certainly think so through the weekend of the 21st. Beyond that the March temps and sun are going to take a toll again, and you will have to be hunting for snow on the final weekend of the 28th.

So break it all down, what do we have, well in an effort to save the trails, I am suspending grooming until this weekend. Right now, I am thinking only 1 groom before Saturday should do it. We have good trails now, and there should be fairly light traffic this week, so things will be all Set for Friday night, and Saturday you can let her rip. Saturday things are going to get tore up bad. I am worried about 2 short sections of problematic trails, and I will be getting pictures of those trails for you on Thursday so you know what to expect and have all the information before your weekend trips. Anything with pavement is going to melt down this week, so getting into and out of towns is going to be the typical March riding. I built trails around St. Ignace last week so it will help, and I will report how they held up on Thursday.

If you make the trip up to ride this weekend, I know there will be an information get together of a bunch of riders at the bowling alley - Freds Pub on Saturday night from 8 till? If you are in the area stop by for some war stories!

The next big question will be about the ice bridge. I think that this week is going to take a toll on the ice. I am not going to report how much ice is out there, and if it will be safe to ride next weekend, but I will predict that the crossing will still get heavy usage next weekend. Take that for what you will, check conditions locally before crossing. Have a plan, let someone know your plan, and stick to your plan and be safe.

Last edited by Snow VP : 03-11-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:27 PM   #2
DFH
I'm New Here

Default Re: Trail Conditions 3-09-15

I am considering taking the day off and coming up tomorrow 3/10 to cross the ice bridge. It's a 4 hour drive for me. What shape is it in today (and would you project tomorrow). Never done this. My friend is also asking if its passable by mountain bike.

thanks!

Last edited by Snow VP : 03-11-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:51 PM   #3
Wink
Trail Master

3 of THE OHIO BOYZ will be there this weekend. Hope we can ride from the hotel. If not, we've improvised before.

"Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do!"

Last edited by Snow VP : 03-11-2015 at 10:02 AM.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:37 AM   #4
Wink
Trail Master

Weather forecast keeps looking worse everyday!

"Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do!"

Old 03-10-2015, 09:53 AM   #5
BAK
I'm New Here

I rode in from Grand Marais last night. The trails to the south Rexton Brevort Newberry were very soft and a lot of snirt. The trail from the Brevort cut off into st Ignace will not be passable after today Tuesday. There was a lot of water and mud on it Monday at 6:00 when I came thru. You will definately need to trailer out of st iggy for rest of year unless they get snow.

Old 03-10-2015, 10:02 AM   #6
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-09-15

Weather guessers blew that one. We were supposed to be low 30s yesterday, and 20s overnight, well we hit mid 40s yesterday, and it didn't get down to freezing last night, in fact it was 40 at midnight, and 42 when I got up this morning. Today is going to give us another big hit.

Yes everything s going to be soft - it is above freezing. But the forest trails should have enough snow to get us into next week. The RR Grade however took a hit yesterday already, there were slush holes already forming in the areas that I checked. I stopped a group from Manistique who rode all over yesterday, and they said the trails were still fairly smooth and in decent shape, with the exception of a couple chunks of the RR Grade.

It is what it is at this point. Right now, I am planning on no grooming until Friday night, at which point we will pull in everything that we have available and we will see what happens. We will also groom up the Castle Rock Road all the way to I-75 so people can ride that out of town if we loose all of the RR Grade from town.

I will go out on Thursday, and also have some drivers take pics from around the system to see what we are dealing with.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:34 PM   #7
Snow VP
Administrator

I expected it, but not this quick. We are loosing the RR grade in Moran. At this point I would suggest a re-route.

Old 03-10-2015, 06:28 PM   #8
conniver04
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow VP View Post
I expected it, but not this quick. We are loosing the RR grade in Moran. At this point I would suggest a re-route.

Well sounds like this weekend will be a drinking weekend and doubling down with Kill switch aka snopro7c. Let the good time roll...
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:45 PM   #9
Floyd
Trail Master

I turned my clocks ahead an hour last weekend, but didn't know we were supposed to turn them back to January.
Although this season seemed to fly by, this thread is titled Trail Conditions 1-09-15?

Last edited by Snow VP : 03-11-2015 at 10:03 AM.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:09 AM   #10
Snow VP
Administrator

Got it fixed as much as I can Floyd - good one.

Well the forecasts are changing again, and not much for the better. The local weather guys are adding in 40d temps till next Tues now, when it used to be low 30s. Guess after the last few days of guessing low, they are bumping it up to reality. Some precip Friday and Sat, Saturday being snow.

It is getting harder and harder to tell you guys to make the trip to ride. Maybe it will be better out in the outer trails then around town. One minute I hear good things, another I hear bad things. I know we lost 1/2 our snow in my yard so far this week. The thing is, we have not been above freezing in over 2 months, pretty much since we first got snow in January, so everything we have has never been compacted down, it was still all fluff or granular, and with this weeks warm temps it is settling as fast as it is melting.

Reality in the form of pics tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2015, 04:16 PM   #11
Omooreski
Liquid Cooled

Cool Re: Trail Conditions 3-09-15

I'm glad we came up last weekend. Had a fantastic Firday dinner - fish buffet at the Driftwood. My wife and I rode the loop to Rexton - Trout Lake (loved the burger and beer break at the Buckhorn) and back. It was so much fun being out on Brevoort Lake Sunday morning in the big flake snow. I was so depressed when we drove back to the Green Bay area and all the snow was gone. Thank you for all you guys do to build and keep the trails so awesome.
I guess this means I'm done for the year.
Closed Thread