Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 11:10 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 3-05-15

It is a brisk Zero degrees out right now, and looking at the forecast it will be the last time we see that in the daylight for some time. March is on the calender, and the first weekend of March is shaping up to be a nice mild one. Forecast for this Saturday is nearing 30d with teens in the night, and lots of sun during the day. Trails are in absolute fantastic condition, with lots of base, and smooth as pavement. Groomers are currently running everyday to keep the base smooth, and per usual we have lots of snow stored on the trail sides to bring into the trail surface later in the coming weeks. I bring this up because the longer range forecast is calling for above average temps and we will be breaking the freezing mark, for the first time in a long while. Kinda starting this weekend, and increasing into next week the temps will be very mild during the days, possibly approaching 40d. The 10 day forecast is holding across lots of weather sites, so it looks like the warmup will be hear, but it is tough to say how warm it will get for the following weekend.

I never gave storm totals from last Tuesday:
Iggy only got about 3", and Moran 4", Epoufette/Brevort around 5", Trout Lake was in the 6" range, and The Caffey Trail heading to Rexton was the big winner with between 7" and 10". The Caffey trail is now completely recovered from the logging operations, and being groomed full width.

I know the questions will fly, so I will head them off now.
It is going to get warm this weekend and next week, assuming this carries through the weekend of the 14th:
Yes, our trails will be absolutely fine for the next 2 weekend, trough at least the 15th. We have lots of base, and we have snow stored to bring into the trail surface that will easily bring us from marginal conditions to great for an extra weekend. Will that be the weekend of the 14th, 21st, or 28th, not sure yet but we still will have lots of life left in our trails.

The Ice Bridge: I will forecast that people will happily ride it this weekend, and very likely all next week. Knowing the islanders they will continue to use it for a few weeks yet - however I am not saying that the ice will be safe. If you are planning a trip make sure you check the ice conditions locally prior to making your trip.

No trail pics for you today, just a early morning pic of the green monster silently waiting to go out and rip up those trails.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150305_083950.jpg (190.0 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 20150305_084000.jpg (179.4 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by Snow VP : 03-05-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:50 AM   #2
Wink
Trail Master

Default Re: Trail Conditions 3-05-15

I refuse to give up yet! Just gotta believe. I'm planning on riding the last weekend of March, again!!!!!

"Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do!"

Old 03-05-2015, 12:47 PM   #3
Snow VP
Administrator

Truthfully, the way we manage the trails, we will normally be able to wear 2 weeks, including 2 full weekends of 40d temps. Over 40d, or not getting belo freezing at night is what will really hurt. 30d this weekend, 40d around mid-next week, using my 2 weekend rule will get us through the weekend of the 28th.

I'm not forecasting doom and gloom at all, I think the next 2 weeks of riding will be fantastic, just want to give people a heads up, if you are waiting on the 28th as your one final ride, I would move that up at least a week - although the forecasts are not known for the 23rd-31st, it could easily cool down again - and I really hope that it does.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:38 AM   #4
Snow VP
Administrator

I have been looking for a longer term forecast, which aren't that easy to come by, and even less accurate then the normal weather guessers out there. Consulting that one that kinda specializes in Michigan weather - and seems to be fairly good historically on our temps, we are coming up some better news for sledders out there. Where the normal forecasts are showing a warm-up for next week, and then cut off because they don't go any further out in time, his forecast showing the dramatic warm-up for the Northern 1/2 of the state that the others do. No 40s for our area, but mid-high 30s. Then, after this 7 day mild-period, he is saying that winter will return to close out March, and a bit beyond that. So, sounds like better news for the Snowmobile community, at least in Northern Michigan.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:38 PM   #5
Wink
Trail Master

Right now it's the sun for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday that worries me more than the temps. I'm still not giving UP though.

"Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do!"

Old 03-08-2015, 10:25 AM   #6
polaris4me
Trail Master

We will be heading to Seney for the Vets ride. Might be the last ride for us.

After this week I am tried of the sub-zero temps. Sewer pipe froze, had to pump out my tank, $225. Sewage in the basement and few hours to thaw the pipe out. Ya, not a fun week.

M.S.A.
Support the people that support this sport !
Old 03-08-2015, 11:12 AM   #7
MJA
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris4me View Post

After this week I am tried of the sub-zero temps. Sewer pipe froze, had to pump out my tank, $225. Sewage in the basement and few hours to thaw the pipe out. Ya, not a fun week.

Sounds like a stinky situation!
11/12 MSA family member
12/13 MSA family member
13/14 MSA family member
14/15 MSA family member
15/16 MSA family member

Old 03-08-2015, 01:23 PM   #8
Snow VP
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris4me View Post

First 30d day in months and
Ya my parents water froze yesturday.
It sucks
Closed Thread