Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:50 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 1-09-14

So the rather strange winter continues. After almost record breaking cold over the last few days, we are headed to above average temps, that will hit the hardest on Saturday. Forecast temps are going to put us in the low 30s, with mid-high 20s on the shoulder days, and for the coming week. There is precip in the forecast for the first part of the weekend, some say rain, some say snow, should amount to about 1/3 of an inch of rain or 2-3 in of snow, depending on temps. That amount of rain is not going to hurt what are absolutely fantastic trails. There is nary a bump out there, and everything is packed in, and widened out like they should be. Now with the forecast on Saturday, if we get any kind of traffic, you are going to see a decent amount of ware and tear on the trails, which will have to be fixed up on Saturday night. Other then the little hiccup in the weather, we are in good shape, and trails will hold well in the coming weeks. Some new snow would be nice, but it won't be required to have a fantastic time.

Snow highways with miles of smiles, as all UP trails begin in St. Ignace!

Notices:

I will get an update later today on the RR Grade water hole. It should be about frozen in by now, but we still have hazard and stop signs up. You can easily get around it, just don't take it at a high speed, and proceed with caution.

The treeline is up to Mackinac Island. Some locals have crossed. Check local conditions before venturing onto any frozen body of water. Have a plan, let someone know your plan, and stick to your plan. Please be safe.

There will be logging in the center part of our trail system for the next month. They keep plowing the roads, we groom the edges to try to give you a place to ride. . Everything is passable, just watch for trucks, and be careful on the ice
Quote:
The USFS is closing Red Creek Road, which is Trail #47, AKA our Cedarville Connector Trail, from the hours of 7am to 11am Jan 6th through Jan 17th. Gates will be closed for logging operations, and you will not be able to go through this trail at all. Please plan accordingly.

If you have any questions please contact deputy district ranger Jim Ozenberger at (906) 643-7900 Ext:157

NOAA Weather Says:
Friday Areas of snow showers and freezing drizzle before noon, then occasional flurries. Cloudy, with a high near 32. South wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Friday Night Occasional flurries before 8pm, then freezing rain between 8pm and 4am, then rain or freezing rain after 4am. Low around 29. Southeast wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
Saturday Rain before 10am, then rain and snow showers between 10am and 1pm, then snow showers after 1pm. High near 36. South wind 10 to 15 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 90%.
Saturday Night A 30 percent chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 22.
Sunday Mostly cloudy, with a high near 32.
Sunday Night A chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 27.
Monday A chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 33.
Monday Night A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 20.
Tuesday A chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 28.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:22 AM   #2
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-09-14

Watched the local forecast this morning, and the previous amount I had for the rain was way off. I would completely avoid downstate on Sat as they are predicting over 1" of rain, no possibility of snow. Here the rain/snow line is between St. Ignace and Newberry, so who knows what is going to happen, but they are calling for a little over 1/2" of rain. I don't think it will hurt the trails much, but it is going to be a sloppy chopped up mess until we get it groomed out. With the temps in the forecast, we may not groom Saturday night, and wait until Sunday afternoon when it gets a bit cooler.

Have fun, stay dry and bring extra clothes.
Old 01-10-2014, 05:52 PM   #3
skidoodude04
Trail Master

Headed up right now with conniver04. Roads are clear but traffic is thick here down south. Ready to tear up some trails for the first time this season!!
Old 01-10-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
polaris4me
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidoodude04 View Post
Headed up right now with conniver04. Roads are clear but traffic is thick here down south. Ready to tear up some trails for the first time this season!!
You guys have a good ride. Wish I was there.
Got to work every saturday this month
Really looking forward to Feb., and riding in the U.P.

M.S.A.
Support the people that support this sport !
Closed Thread