Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > General Discussion > Area Information & Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Area Information & Discussion Discuss the Straits Area - Ask a Question or Post your Experience

Old 02-12-2014, 07:18 PM   #26
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Re: Mackinac Island Ice Bridge 2013

Actually I came up with another idea for you today driving through town.
#1 check the ice rink South lot.
#2, check the lot alllll the way on the North side of the rink.
#3, if you can stand a bit of snow on the parking lot, park at the marina lot downtown, you can get right on the ice on the north side there, ride around the breakwall.
#4 Arnold line just plowed there lot in downtown iggy, you could probably park there, next to ace hardware. If you do, do not ride down mainstreet or the sidewalks, cross and go to the alley behind where the trail is and ride to the shell from there.

Enjoy your trip.
Old 02-17-2014, 10:20 AM   #27
Snow VP
Administrator

Last night my wife showed me a facebook post from a waitress working over at the VI on Mackinac Island - and it almost made me faint. Seems this nice couple, and their teenage son were remarking about the trip over to Mackinac Island, and how the trip over the ice wasn't too bad except that really rough stretch, but it was OK because the guy got off his sled to check that section of ice. The ice bridge is pretty beat down from all the traffic this year, so she asked them about it. He was talking about the ship track out in the channel because they just came over from Mackinaw City!!!
Folks, nobody in their right mind goes from South of the shipping channel to Mackinac Island, the only crossing is from St. Ignace! The Coast Guard was just went through there that morning, and if it hadn't been so cold they probably would have been fishing this entire family out of the water in the spring. That is exactly how the last guy died, had a few beers, lost his directions, and rode into the ship track behind the cutter.

Crossing the ice is never safe, crossing from the South side of the Straits is just suicide. Stay alive, check local conditions, have a plan and let someone know about your plan. The ice is no place to be during a storm or at night. Be safe, use your head, and have a good time.
Old 02-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #28
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

Over the weekend some folks were asking me about crossing from Mack City to the Island, I said NO WAY! not a good idea.
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
M.S.A.
ToddMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:14 PM   #29
conniver04
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow VP View Post
Last night my wife showed me a facebook post from a waitress working over at the VI on Mackinac Island - and it almost made me faint. Seems this nice couple, and their teenage son were remarking about the trip over to Mackinac Island, and how the trip over the ice wasn't too bad except that really rough stretch, but it was OK because the guy got off his sled to check that section of ice. The ice bridge is pretty beat down from all the traffic this year, so she asked them about it. He was talking about the ship track out in the channel because they just came over from Mackinaw City!!!
Folks, nobody in their right mind goes from South of the shipping channel to Mackinac Island, the only crossing is from St. Ignace! The Coast Guard was just went through there that morning, and if it hadn't been so cold they probably would have been fishing this entire family out of the water in the spring. That is exactly how the last guy died, had a few beers, lost his directions, and rode into the ship track behind the cutter.

Crossing the ice is never safe, crossing from the South side of the Straits is just suicide. Stay alive, check local conditions, have a plan and let someone know about your plan. The ice is no place to be during a storm or at night. Be safe, use your head, and have a good time.
I read that somewhere else and about died. Oh my god... I still can't see the fascination with going over there but I guess some do. once was enough for me.

PSA: Anyone trying to cross on Sat March 1 beware of golf errant hit golf balls. We are expecting over 60 teams and I know I don't always hit them where I'm aiming. You were warned...
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
conniver04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:33 AM   #30
con-fusion
Trail Master

I'm with you on the Island trip Kenny, I've done it twice and don't feel the need to do it again. Can't imagine He didn't think it was strange not seeing any tracks, would love to have heard the wife's conversation after finding out about their near fate.(sell sleds, never riding again, you dumb $%#$%)

What is the preferred ball for ice chip golf Kenny, sure you use the best on tour! Titleist PROV1X X= less spin more control (safer for spectators )LOL
con-fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:51 PM   #31
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

What I'd like to know is this?

Did that group ride back to St. Ignace and then call the Bridge Authority to take them back to Mack City? Or have someone else trailer them back... I would hope so...
M.S.A.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:05 PM   #32
Floyd
Trail Master

Just glad to hear that nobody got hurt (or worse). I would like to have been a fly on the wall when the wife found out the real "path" they took.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:59 AM   #33
Julie
Snow Club Secretary

I know we are preaching to the choir here, but the local authorities are working hard to get the work out about not approaching the shipping channel. Saw this on both local stations tonight.

9 and 10 News Video
"There are many attractions here in Northern Michigan involving ice. From the ice caves to the ice bridge to Mackinac Island, people are drawn to it.

But rescue crews say each time you step onto the ice, you are risking your life.

St. Ignace Fire Department says an area that has seen increased traffic is the shipping area in the Straits. This part of the water sees ice broken up regularly when ships go through. Yet, people are walking out there to take pictures or traveling by snowmobile. They say this is extremely dangerous.

The U.S. Coast Guard also says should something go wrong, it will take time to rescue you. The whole time you wait for help, you will be in freezing water.

9&10's Alyssa Gambla and photojournalist Erin Malone spoke to rescue crews today about the dangers of going out on the ice."
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:30 AM   #34
Wink
Trail Master

Thanks for the post Julie. The only ice I want to see is in the bottom of a glass surrounded by Yukon Jack!!!!!

"Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do!"

Wink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:19 AM   #35
Gunner F5
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddMeister View Post
What I'd like to know is this?

Did that group ride back to St. Ignace and then call the Bridge Authority to take them back to Mack City? Or have someone else trailer them back... I would hope so...
I call BS on this story until someone can prove otherwise. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen, just doubt that it did.
Gunner F5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #36
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

Well if it was on the Internet it must be true

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner F5 View Post
I call BS on this story until someone can prove otherwise. I'm not saying that it couldn't happen, just doubt that it did.
M.S.A.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:04 PM   #37
conniver04
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by con-fusion View Post
I'm with you on the Island trip Kenny, I've done it twice and don't feel the need to do it again. Can't imagine He didn't think it was strange not seeing any tracks, would love to have heard the wife's conversation after finding out about their near fate.(sell sleds, never riding again, you dumb $%#$%)

What is the preferred ball for ice chip golf Kenny, sure you use the best on tour! Titleist PROV1X X= less spin more control (safer for spectators )LOL

Snelly, I use what ever shag balls I have and paint them black. Then I keep them in a heated bag and use a new one every shot. Warm balls fly farther and spin better...
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
M.S.A.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #38
Gunner F5
Trail Master

So Kenny what you're saying is you like your.....well, nevermind
Old 02-19-2014, 08:37 PM   #39
Julie
Snow Club Secretary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner F5 View Post
Can't speak as to the shipping channel, but I will say that when Neil and I came back from Mackinaw City, we saw snowmobile tracks parallel to the bridge a hell of a lot farther than I would have ventured out.

And while no ice is ever safe, I do like the irony that this story was on the news just after the small plane landed on the ice and was towed back to shore by snowmobile :-) Thank goodness the ice was safe at that time!
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:58 PM   #40
Gunner F5
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Can't speak as to the shipping channel, but I will say that when Neil and I came back from Mackinaw City, we saw snowmobile tracks parallel to the bridge a hell of a lot farther than I would have ventured out.

And while no ice is ever safe, I do like the irony that this story was on the news just after the small plane landed on the ice and was towed back to shore by snowmobile :-) Thank goodness the ice was safe at that time!
Hey wait a minute, I thought there was no such thing as "safe ice"

I thought about the straights crossing when we came across the bridge 2 weeks ago. Besides the bumpy stretch where the cutter went thru, it looked pretty smooth. I still can't believe someone hasn't done it yet this year with camera footage.
Old 02-20-2014, 12:00 AM   #41
Go Fast or Go Home
Trail Master

YOU FIRST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go Fast or Go Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 04:03 PM   #42
Snow VP
Administrator

Be alert, after the big rain last night there are some slush holes out there. Check local conditions before you ravel this weekend.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:39 AM   #43
freestyle516
I'm New Here

I am new to the forum; A group of snowmobilers are headed to Mac Island this weekend (Mar1st). We have never rode our snowmobiles across, but have research a lot before going over. We heard there is a slushy spot on the trail. Can anyone tell me what the trail looks like now? Is it safe? ( as safe as it can be) Is there anything we should know about crossing?
freestyle516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 11:02 AM   #44
Snow VP
Administrator

With the sub-zero temps this week I doubt you will find any liquid water anywhere in Northern Michigan this weekend.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:53 AM   #45
conniver04
Trail Master

I have never seen that many sleds crossing to the island in my life. It was a steady flow all day long plus I seen a bunch of people walking it. Way to cold for that. I did see some mid 60's Ski-Doo's crossing. Pretty cool.
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
M.S.A.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:40 PM   #46
Snow VP
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by conniver04 View Post
I did see some mid 60's Ski-Doo's crossing.
Which is different then a mid-60's ON a Ski-Doo crosssing.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:19 PM   #47
con-fusion
Trail Master

Had to reread that Neil. Good point
con-fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 06:25 PM   #48
conniver04
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow VP View Post
Which is different then a mid-60's ON a Ski-Doo crosssing.
Smartass you knew what I meant....
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
M.S.A.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:11 PM   #49
Mile9c1
I'm New Here

How long does this ice bridge typically last? We'll be heading up the last weekend of March.
Mile9c1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:11 PM   #50
Snow VP
Administrator

Day to day, you never can tell. Don't plan on coming up to ride it at the end of March. Come up to ride, and if it is 'safe' then go for a trip. Everything is locked in very well right now, but by that time, if the straits opens up, and we get the right wind, a good bridge can go out overnight.

I will post up when I hear that the coast guard breaks the bridge up. If they think it is getting too dangerous, they will break it up just so people will not use it.