Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Club News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Club News Check out what is going on in the Straits Club

Old 10-29-2012, 11:02 PM   #51
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Re: Brushing & Signing 2012

So Wink and I covered signing the West side of the lower loop, and I was in charge of planning out the signs as we went along. It has been a few years since I did it, and since we had done a good job in the past, we were usually just repairing the trail signs - replacing shot signs, putting up a missing corner sign or something, not really starting over. This year we were tying to do the signs to the new standard which took a lot of thinking. Along most of the area we worked the forest service removed the majority of the signs, so I really had to plan ahead, even for reassurance markers. About 2 hours after we were there, it hit me and I asked Wink if I put up a curve sign or a stop ahead sign on the dam road. We went back and fourth all afternoon and evening, and it drove me absolutely nutz because it dawned on me that I thought I put the wrong sign up. And since I had to bring parts to the brusher in the morning anyway (Wink - I was out of town at 8am) I stopped and checked that sign. Sure enough I put up the wrong one.

Don't matter how much you plan those things ahead, you can always mess one up. Funny how something like that can eat at you.

We were getting down to the end of the day at the end of Castle Rock Road, and right out of the blue, Wink tells we that we should always carry a big pipe wrench with us, just in case the gas auger were to catch something and thread itself into the ground and get stuck. I flat out told him he was crazy. I have been using one for years, and they catch something, but never get stuck in the ground. Not 15 minutes later, he is auguring and auguring and can’t get more then 4” deep. Fourth try was the charm, except that sucked grabbed onto a flat rock, and it got MAJORLY STUCK. Took over a ˝ hour with a shovel but we did manage to get it out. Wink wasn’t as crazy as I thought he was.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:11 PM   #52
Snow VP
Administrator

I went out on Sunday morning and fixed up some broken cutters on the brusher unit. Bobby has been working the far end of the Caffey. I decided to stay and do a few hours of work. The trail in that area was probably only 8' wide, the brush hi my truck on both sides when driving through. Normally we would have just trimmed up the branches, and we would have been left with a solidly open, but 8' wide trail. I was able to drop the brusher right to the ground, and grind up whole trees, and that area is 18' wide now. Full drag width, and some safety area too. I will get some pics next time I am in the area. Unfortunately I blew a hyro cylinder just after lunch. A big thanks to Cody for running it up to the welder and putting it back on this morning.

We hope to have the Caffey all brushed this season.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #53
indootime
Trail Master

Sounds like you guys got a lot of work in. Looking forward to some great trails this season.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:06 AM   #54
Floyd
Trail Master

From the looks of the last picture, it doesn't look like Wink made it much past 10 pm

I really wish I could have made it up either of the past 2 weekends. Thanks to everyone who sacrificed their weekends to help make the trails what they are. I look forward to making a few trips up this winter to give my "official seal of approval".
Old 10-31-2012, 09:22 PM   #55
Bill
Trail Master

Me too, sorry I could not make it. The Pics. look great. Thanks to all for the hard work. Anyone going to Novi this weekend? I will be there all day on Saturday if anyone wants to meet up.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:14 AM   #56
conniver04
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow VP View Post
So Wink and I covered signing the West side of the lower loop, and I was in charge of planning out the signs as we went along. It has been a few years since I did it, and since we had done a good job in the past, we were usually just repairing the trail signs - replacing shot signs, putting up a missing corner sign or something, not really starting over. This year we were tying to do the signs to the new standard which took a lot of thinking. Along most of the area we worked the forest service removed the majority of the signs, so I really had to plan ahead, even for reassurance markers. About 2 hours after we were there, it hit me and I asked Wink if I put up a curve sign or a stop ahead sign on the dam road. We went back and fourth all afternoon and evening, and it drove me absolutely nutz because it dawned on me that I thought I put the wrong sign up. And since I had to bring parts to the brusher in the morning anyway (Wink - I was out of town at 8am) I stopped and checked that sign. Sure enough I put up the wrong one.

Don't matter how much you plan those things ahead, you can always mess one up. Funny how something like that can eat at you.

We were getting down to the end of the day at the end of Castle Rock Road, and right out of the blue, Wink tells we that we should always carry a big pipe wrench with us, just in case the gas auger were to catch something and thread itself into the ground and get stuck. I flat out told him he was crazy. I have been using one for years, and they catch something, but never get stuck in the ground. Not 15 minutes later, he is auguring and auguring and can’t get more then 4” deep. Fourth try was the charm, except that sucked grabbed onto a flat rock, and it got MAJORLY STUCK. Took over a ˝ hour with a shovel but we did manage to get it out. Wink wasn’t as crazy as I thought he was.

Don't let him fool ya. He's crazy!

Thanks to everyone that put their time in to help with the brushing and signing. I'm so sorry I missed it. It's a very rewarding experience.
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
conniver04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 12:44 PM   #57
Snow VP
Administrator

Bobby is still putting in major brusher time. He just finished widening the 'loop' on the West end on the Caffey. Now heading toward the Truck Trail. That is going to be so much better this winter!
Old 03-28-2013, 11:11 AM   #58
Snow VP
Administrator

So I wanted to post up to let all of the people that helped out brushing & signing last fall that we did an excellent job. I finally talked to our DNR rep yesterday, and he said he had ridden our trails and all of our signing was up to standard, with a couple of minor things. One comment was (and this is in general) they want more confidence markers for next year. I knew we went light on those, we will just fill in next fall. And somewhere on the Cedarville connector we missed an old chevron. Overall that is a fantastic job, and I wanted to pass on the atta-boy to all that helped!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:23 PM   #59
Griz
Trail Master

Glad we could be of assistance.

2012 F 1100

Member: Straits Area Snowmobile Club
MSA
Griz is offline   Reply With Quote