Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 12-08-10

Trails are officially open, as of Dec 1, but you are still going to need a 4 wheeler to use them. It is COLD and WINDY around here. The are is making ice like crazy on everything, the swamps are about frozen, decent progress on frost on the ground and the bays in the big lake are even skimming over. What we don't have is snow. There is a trace in Iggy and Moran, 1-2" in Cut River and Trout Lake, and less then 3" in Rexton. I am not grooming until I see some SYSTEM snow, which may be coming this weekend. They are talking another HUGE wind storm on Sun and Monday, I guess we will see. No snow right now was actually a good thing. Things are freezing up nicely now, and if we can get a big 12" system snow, we will be in for a long good season.

#6 groomer is now back in Iggy for it drag, where it will stay until I see some groomable snow. #5 is still in Cut River awaiting brusher repair which did not get done while I was gone. I hope to see it fixed for this weekend. The Caffey still need 2+ solid days of brushing before I can open it to sleds for the season.

More area information:
Over the long weekend I traveled over 3,600 miles, and I can tell you that yes, there is a couple of places with snow, but from what I have seen, they are fairly small and isolated. What people are getting is all light lake effect. 18 inches packs down to nothing is a heartbeat, so if you would like to travel somewhere to ride this weekend, I would find someone you trust that is exactly where you want to go, and get the info. And then, yo unlikely will not be riding from town to town on the trail system, you are going to be riding around where those bands were dumping snow.

There were drifts over my knees in the TC parking lot, Northwest of TC it was lighter, Kalkaska also had some, maybe 6". Trail along US-131 to C-42 was groomed (panned), and the snow packed down with dirt showing. It looked a litter heavier to the East of there, until Gaylord, which was more of the same about maybe 5-6". As you went North of Gaylord, it was the same for 5-10 miles, then it started trailing out, and there was no snow by Indian river. Cheboygan has just a dusting too.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:53 PM   #2
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

Default Re: Trail Conditions 12-08-10

3600 miles? where the heck did ya go? Guest star on Sara Palin's Alaska?
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
Presque Isle Sno-Trails
MISORVA
Old 12-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #3
SuperSportJay
Trail Master

I thought the same thing! In 4 days (long weekend) that's 900 miles/day! Neil, can I borrow your supercar sometime?
jmb73182@hotmail.com
Old 12-09-2010, 09:08 AM   #4
Snow VP
Administrator

Automobiles, planes and ships. Gotta thank Bud Light for putting on an excellent weekend getaway in the Bahamas! (Even though I became severely ill, and felt like dying - Norwalk is nothing to mess with.)

Faithfully reporting trail conditions: I can easily report there is no ridable snow in Miami, Nassau or Coco Cay.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:26 AM   #5
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

Looks like next week might be cold enough to snow in Miami!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow VP View Post
Automobiles, planes and ships. Gotta thank Bud Light for putting on an excellent weekend getaway in the Bahamas! (Even though I became severely ill, and felt like dying - Norwalk is nothing to mess with.)

Faithfully reporting trail conditions: I can easily report there is no ridable snow in Miami, Nassau or Coco Cay.
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
Presque Isle Sno-Trails
MISORVA
Old 12-10-2010, 01:39 PM   #6
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Weather update 12-10-10

From 9 & 10 News, but John Dee is similar:

Quote:
** A Winter Storm Watch is in effect for Saturday through Sunday Evening. Counties include Chippewa, Mackinac and counties along and North of M-72. Snow totals Saturday through Sunday could reach 6"-10" of snow. You may also encounter freezing drizzle creating slick spots through Northern Michigan. On top of all this wind gusts could exceed 40mph blowing and drifting snow. **

Scattered snow showers/mixed precipitation will continue to linger today and taper off late this evening for the Central L.P. The Northern L.P. and Eastern U.P. will hold onto some light flurries through this evening but not a whole lot to worry about with snow accumulations today. Overall expect mostly cloudy skies and highs will be in the upper 20s to mid 30s. Winds today will slowly drop to 10-15mph out of the West/Southwest. These warmer temperatures may generate a few areas of mixed precipitation for the Central L.P. Tonight expect mostly cloudy skies and overnight lows in the upper teens to mid 20s.

Saturday is really becoming more interesting by the minute as model are really starting to bulls eye Michigan for this big storm. The only problem is the positioning of the first wave of snow and just how far North a mix of snow and rain will go. Anyway you look at it though travel is going to be sloppy and potentially hazardous Saturday evening through Sunday.

As of right now the first wave of snow will enter the Eastern U.P. and Straits area around Noon Saturday bringing some good bands of snow lasting through Saturday. For the Lower Peninsula it looks like the first wave will enter the Lake Michigan shoreline around 3 O'clock in the afternoon and will actually start as a mix for areas South of M-55. This will gradually turn into snow and create a real sloppy mess on the roadways and may even create some slick spots for Saturday evening travel.

It looks like the heaviest of the snow for Northern Michigan will be Saturday night thru Sunday with winds really ramping up by Sunday morning. Winds will be gusting upwards of 40-45mph and sustained winds will be around 25mph out of the Northeast. Snow accumulations could be very significant for areas in the Eastern U.P., especially for Western Mackinac and Luce Counties. By the end of the weekend the Lower Peninsula could join right in with significant amounts as well but with winds as high as they will be, snow will be blowing and drifting creating reduced visibilities and large drifts.

To go along with the blowing and drifting snow, temperatures will be very cold on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday as highs will be lucky to make it into the teens. The overall weather for this weekend into next week is going to be down right nasty so take your time and make sure you keep checking in for updates.
Old 12-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
catgirl428
Liquid Cooled

YEAH!!!! LOOKS LIKE IT SHALL BE A WHITE CHRISTMAS AFTER ALL....LOOKING FORWARD TO HITTING THE TRAILS OVER THE HOLIDAYS!
Old 12-11-2010, 07:56 PM   #8
srtf1000
Trail Master

Hey Neil, I hope you get to groom the section of trail between Cut River and Rexton. That would be awesome! instead of having tasa do it.
Old 12-12-2010, 09:08 AM   #9
ski-doo
Liquid Cooled

Any update on snow would be great, looking to come up to cabin in brevort this week, hoping for a little ride. Any word on logging for the year, last year they had every route out of brevort screwed up. Lets hope for a great season
Old 12-12-2010, 12:57 PM   #10
no1 pro
Trail Master

Yes please anyone. How much new snow in St. Ignace?

Pro
Old 12-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #11
firepup
Fan Cooled

Everone must be out riding up there!
Old 12-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #12
Budget Host Inn & Suites
Liquid Cooled

Default S*N*O*W

we have snow !!! lots of it too !!! ya hoo !!!
906-643-9666
Old 12-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #13
PolarisRider
Trail Master

Had around 8" from this storm overnight, to around 11:30AM Sunday, and still coming down ... just a few miles rode locally around the camp SW of Rudyard. Looks like a big ZERO on the deer this year. Hunting done, time for Sledding!!!

Anyone that still needs to head South on I-75 this evening - take it REAL EASY. Multi-car pileups in Northern Bay County.
- 05 600 Sabercat LX
- 06 600 Crossfire SnoPro
Member:
- M.S.A. - Straits Area Snowmobile Club
- Chippewa Snow Chasers - Soo Snowmobile Club - TASA
Closed Thread