Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > Summer Fun and Info > The Hot Tub & Pub
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Hot Tub & Pub Stay connected during the off season! General Discussion about just about anything!

Old 10-21-2010, 09:19 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Kid Rock Visits Munising

http://www.miningjournal.net/page/content.detail/id/549684.html

Kid Rock visits Alger County

Films new video at Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore

October 15, 2010 - By RENEE PRUSI Journal Staff Writer

MARQUETTE - Kid Rock was in Alger County this week to film scenes for an upcoming music video.
The Detroit-based musician, given name Robert Ritchie, filmed a portion of his new video, "Born Free," during a visit to the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore Wednesday.
Bill Smith, a Pictured Rocks ranger who also handles permits for the park, granted the filming permit and was assigned to monitor the filming. He became involved in the shooting in a way he did not anticipate.
"When Kid Rock and his assistant got out of the limo, the assistant asked for a screwdriver," Smith said. "I carry a Leatherman on my duty belt, so I gave that to him. He said it was perfect and he tightened the guitar strap. About 20 minutes later, he came back and borrowed it again when Kid Rock wanted to change straps on the guitar."
Smith said Kid Rock and his film crew used several settings at the park, including Miners Beach, some cliffs and the shoreline along Lake Superior.
"It was a perfect day for filming. It was a little windy, but I think they liked that," Smith said.
Hardrock Films from California secured the permit to the park for the filming and contracted with Colony Films from lower Michigan to do the work, Smith said. Colony hired a helicopter company out of Grand Rapids and the helicopter was used for most of the filming.
"The helicopter had a camera mounted on the side of it," Smith said. "They were at Miners Beach for about 2 hours, then moved up the North Country Trail west of Miners Castle. They incorporated the lake and Miners River.
"They also had a smaller hand-held camera they used," Smith said.
The filming was completed in the one afternoon.
"Kid Rock shook our hands and said thank you when they were done," Smith said. "He went back to Sawyer (International Airport) right after the filming so he didn't spend the night in the area. His crew stayed in Munising Tuesday night and they stayed at the Holiday Inn in Marquette Wednesday night because it was closer to the airport. The crew flew out on Thursday."
The music star did make some purchases, Smith said.
"Kid Rock and his personal assistant went into the information center at Miners Castle and purchased some books on Michigan," he said. "So he did spend some money here."
Smith was told the video will include the locations in Munising and another location in Detroit. It's expected to be released in early November, just before the "Born Free" compact disc becomes available Nov. 16.
"I was told Kid Rock is going on tour in Europe soon then will be flying back to Nashville for a time," Smith said. "Then he's launching a tour in January for about 18 months."
Smith said he heard "Born Free" while watching the recent National League and American League divisional series on television.
"They used Kid Rock's 'Born Free" as intro music," Smith said.
Smith said that while Pictured Rocks might not be identified directly in the final product, the video should highlight the beauty of the national lakeshore.
"It should definitely get us some attention," Smith said. "I hope so."
The director of the Alger County Chamber of Commerce agreed.
"Doing this video will get some real prestige to our area," Carberry said. "The natural beauty of the area will shine through and people will be interested."
The 39-year-old musician has been nominated for five Grammy Awards and has sold more than 20 million albums. He was married to actress Pamela Anderson at one time and is known for being an avid Michigan sports fan, attending Detroit Lions, Tigers, Pistons and Red Wings games frequently.
Rock also tours frequently to perform for U.S. military personnel stationed around the world.
Old 10-21-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
Wink
Trail Master

Default Re: Kid Rock Visits Munising

I was there lots of times before him and they didn't write anything about me!!!!

Member:
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
MSA

Wink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
polaris4me
Trail Master

How many Cds do you have out?

M.S.A.
Support the people that support this sport !
polaris4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:35 PM   #4
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

But did you make any purchases?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
I was there lots of times before him and they didn't write anything about me!!!!
Presque Isle Sno-Trails
MISORVA
ToddMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:36 PM   #5
Floyd
Trail Master

Quote:
First of all, you have to be someone of SOME importance to write about

Second, He probably spent more $ in the short time he was there than you have the last 87 years you been going there
Old 10-31-2010, 09:20 AM   #6
SuperSportJay
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Second, He probably spent more $ in the short time he was there than you have the last 87 years you been going there

I don't care who ya are, that's funny right there.
jmb73182@hotmail.com
SuperSportJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:30 PM   #7
Wink
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
First of all, you have to be someone of SOME importance to write about

Yeah but did he ever lock his keys in his K5 Blazer at 2:00 in the morning while it was running outside the Buckhorn? Well, did he?
Just trying to get the ride warmed up to take a young lady home. That was a smoooooooooth move!!!!

Member:
MSA

Old 11-16-2010, 08:23 PM   #8
Gunner F5
Trail Master

Quote:
Yeah but did he ever lock his keys in his K5 Blazer at 2:00 in the morning while it was running outside the Buckhorn? Well, did he?
Just trying to get the ride warmed up to take a young lady home. That was a smoooooooooth move!!!!
I want the late Paul Harvey on that one, you know...."the rest of the story"
Gunner F5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:29 AM   #9
Wink
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner F5 View Post
I want the late Paul Harvey on that one, you know...."the rest of the story"
It was worth the AAA bill to get the truck unlocked!

Member:
MSA