Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 1-03-12

Yep, finally TRAIL CONDITIONS, not just weather.

Great riding? No, not even close, but there have been just a couple sleds out here and there. I don't think we got enough snow for the trail to last a long time, but it is basically ridable for the time being. We defiantly need some more snow very soon though.

Wayne covered the Northern loop last night, he reports we got about 6" in Cut River, 8" in Moran, 10-12" in Trout Lake (but only 6" just 5 miles South of there), and Iggy got about 5" and is making ice nicely on the lake. The bottom 2-3" was great wet stuff, and the top lake effect, so everything is packing down to about 2" on the trail surface. The Southern loop will be panned down tonight or tomorrow depending when I can get the pipeline gate open. This should get a decent base going and we will be ready for another storm.

It should be noted that the loggers North of Brevort area have messed the road up pretty bad in a few spots. Consequently, Wayne had to actually cut some areas along the truck trail up to Caffey Corner area when is exposing some dirt. This is on purpose, cutting the high spots on the ruts, and packing in the low areas. Exactly the scenario that is supposed to be avoided with our annual grading, but that area just couldn't be helped enough before it froze. We will get it cut down and packed it and make the best of it for this season, but you will see some dirt in that area along the high spots for a while.

Not alot of snow in the forecast, but only one warmer day too, so we should hold what we have. We will get it all panned down and ready for the next storm. Hopefully with another storm or 2 we can get some people headed this way for some good riding. Stay tuned for more details.

Wayne sent in a little eye candy for last night:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo1.JPG (141.6 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg photo2.JPG (171.5 KB, 104 views)
Old 01-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
Bill
Trail Master

Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-03-12

Looks like a good start. Anyone headed up this weekend? I will be in on Thurs. night, Brenda can't make it so I will be solo, lookling for riders on Fri. and Sat. possibly Sun. depending on conditions. See ya on the trail!
Old 01-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

Wow that's a view been waiting for a long time.

I hope to get UP there in a week or two for a ride.
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
Presque Isle Sno-Trails
M.S.A.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
indootime
Trail Master

Love it!

Thanks for the update Neil!

Pat
Old 01-03-2012, 01:42 PM   #5
SuperSportJay
Trail Master

It's been too long... those pictures are a good spirit booster! Hey, maybe we can just skip the January thaw all together this year!
jmb73182@hotmail.com
Old 01-03-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
clifton
Trail Master

My dad and I will be UP friday sometime to ride!
Old 01-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
michellea30
I'm New Here

Smile Re: Trail Conditions 1-03-12

I am hoping to make trip up on February 12 - 14th. Any ideas on how the trails might be? Last year I was up on 25th of Feb and nothing couldnt ride at all.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #8
Snow VP
Administrator

Over a month away, your guess is as good as ours. Should get dumped on, but may be in the same boat as last year. Make your reservations if this is where you want to come, but make sure you can change your plans if needed.

Trail conditions are marginal. We have between 1 and 3" of base. It is packing well, and is a good start, but we have a warm-up forecasted for Friday, 40d that is going to take a big toll on things. The Upper loop is panned, and lower loop will be done this afternoon. After this we will likely have to wait for some more snow again. Not much in the forecast, and the warm-up on Friday will hurt, with about 30% snow expected over the next week. Guess we will see how things are getting after the weekend.

How did the big storm fair? There is a reason I am so pessimistic on these big forecasted storms: http://record-eagle.com/local/x12350...ive-up-to-hype Seems like over the last 3-4 years they have been doubling the actual forecast amount.
Closed Thread