Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 09:46 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 2-05-19

Hope you guys enjoyed the brief indian summer, cause it is back to winter around here. The warm up did change conditions for sure, we received between 1/4in and 1/2in of rain over the last couple of days, coupled with temps that climbed to around 36d on Monday. Radar from the middle of the day did not look good for use as the rain was coming down in sheets.
radar.jpg
We did not get the ice storm that the Northern EUP got, roads are icy, schools are closed, but no power outages, and a dusting of new snow.

After that the temps started to drop, things started to tighten up and the straits groomers ran to make the base as best we can. Kudos to Wayne for leaving at 3am, and doing the lower loop to near perfection ending his run around 8:30am. I did not ask him to do that run, he decided that he wanted 'his' RR grade to the the best it could be and laid the trail down near perfect.
Now remember the snow consistency I have been talking about of the last several weeks? Sugar, strange, not point St. Ignace type snow? Well keep that trend going, as we expected the trails to be saturated with water, but they definitely were not. The water mostly drained through and Waynes is reporting the trails are in great to excellent condition, and it is just like a winter wonderland out there again.

We did lose 1/3 to 1/2 of our off trail snow, and when I say loose, it has just settled, and it is crusty on top now. Trail snow we likely lost a few inches of trail base, but absolutely nothing to worry about there. We are supposed to get a couple inches of fresh tonight, and are watching a Thursday/Friday event for more. Temps are cold in the teens and tractors are running well.

MACKINAC ISLAND ICE BRIDGE:

I keep getting messages about the ice bridge. You will not get any more info out of me via email then I post on this trail condition page, I don't hold anything back.

So guys listen up. Yes there are a couple of locals crossing. That is the product of cabin fever.
The ferry is not running. The normal air service isn't running either as the FAA has not processed the certificates for the airplanes after a sale of the business. They have the company from Beaver Island flying, but only 3 days a week. The locals are hurting for normal transportation more than normal.

No there is on treeline up. The ice started out as a 3 day freeze, then was covered by 12" of power snow which lasted through the coldest days of the year. Over the last couple of days we got 1/4 to 1/2 in of rain. That water is now sitting on top of the ice trying to freeze.

I will never tell you if the ice is safe or not, but I will tell you that this is currently not a 'tourist ice bridge'.

IF the full treeline goes up, I will report it. That is the only info I will give.

--Rant over--

POND HOCKEY Feb 15-17
They have starting plowing the bay, and I am told it is good ice for hockey. There are 2 motels with rooms as of last Thursday, so if you want to come up do some riding, watch some hockey and drink some LaBatts, then make your plans!

On to some late night trail candy. Groomer Wayne actually ran into a little snow on the overnight run, so enjoy:
Resized_IMG_3920.jpg
Resized_IMG_3919.jpg
Old 02-05-2019, 10:40 AM   #2
indootime
Trail Master

Default Re: Trail Conditions 2-05-19

Thanks Neil!

Pat
Old 02-05-2019, 11:12 AM   #3
Bill
Trail Master

Thanks Neil for another thuro update and to Wayne and the rest of the crew for taking such “pride “ in your trai system!
Old 02-05-2019, 02:17 PM   #4
Go Fast or Go Home
Trail Master

Thank you for the updates. They are very much appreciated.

Also---Thanks to all the men and women that make the Straits Area Trails the best in the State..

Our group of 12 will be in St. Ignace and staying at the Budget Host on the 10-11-12-13 February.

Don~
Old 02-05-2019, 06:07 PM   #5
Smanner714
I'm New Here

Thanks Neil for the update, rode there the last 4 weeks and it was awesome. I wish I lived closer than 4 hours and I would help out grooming, hopefully someone in T.Lake can help.

Scott
Old 02-06-2019, 08:38 AM   #6
Snow VP
Administrator

How do you make a near perfect base better?

Drop 3-4in of powder on top of it.

Done.

Any riders today will be epic cruisin flat trails and busting soft drifts.

Yes, out 1-2in of predicted snow came in lighter then expected, upping the totals with blowing and drifting. Groomers will rest today and hit the trails again tomorrow night.

Thursday storm is puzzling. More snow, possible some rain and ice too. No damage will result, and we will get it fixed up as soon as we can.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:30 AM   #7
Go Fast or Go Home
Trail Master

Old 02-06-2019, 11:15 AM   #8
lowersnowgoer
Liquid Cooled

Awesome ...look forward to being up there again this weekend..
Old 02-06-2019, 11:55 AM   #9
conniver04
Trail Master

Thanks again for all you do Neil and huge shout out to Chris, Wayne, Bobby, Mike, Ken, Dave, Todd and all the other groomer drivers for all their time and effort put into this system. Trust me people out of our area pay attension to how good our system is and how much time and effort we out iinto making itr the best system in the state.

See everyone this weekend!

16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
Old 02-06-2019, 03:00 PM   #10
snopro7c
Trail Master

Hopefully no rain. That would suck.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!!!!!!
Closed Thread