Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 10:04 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 1-31-19

Happy I-500 Super bowl weekend to you! Trails are going to be super busy out there, so please be courteous and be careful. In case you have been under a rock (or in Florida) we have gotten hammered with bitter cold temps and a ton of new snow. We easily have 12in more base today then a week ago. Problem is this base as been a crappy consistency and it just doesnít pack that well. All we can do is run and pack it is until it warms up a little.

All of the trails are just about perfect. We still need to widen the bigger ones out a bit, but overall I would say we are in excellent condition. Groomer Wayne ran yesterday and commented that he has never seen the RR grade out of town so flat and in good shape. I fully expect that condition to deteriorate with the traffic this weekend. We are still working about 6in of semi-loose snow into the base and it moves around more then are are used to, so please expect and be careful as the trails loosen up through the day. We are running groomers every evening, except Sunday as it will be warm (and super bowl). Yes warm, remember what that is? Forecast is calling for warm temps and light rain on Sunday and Monday. That is just fine, it isnít gonna hurt the trails, although if you have a choice, I will ask that you stay off our trails on Monday. We will groom them when they are soft, they will pack down and we will be in our normal super-highway status when it cools down on Tuesday. In the meantime enjoy the epic powder out there Ė pushing 2ft in the woods for sure. Watch for your fellow riders, and now a couple public service announcements.

#1 DRIVERS NEEDED
If you read my trail reports and are in our general area, and are interested in running a groomer, please contact me via PM. We are short drivers and I want to shift into a regular grooming schedule of a different driver every day of the week. We donít have enough for that right now, and we only have Bobby and Ken out in Brevort/Epoufette. So if you have always wondered what it would be like and want to get involved, now it the time.
I am also putting a call out, specifically for people who live in TROUT LAKE. We serve your town well. I have a long term plan for the club which involves 4-6 groomer drivers that live in that area. Again, now is the time to make contact and get involved. Drivers from Trout Lake would not start this season, however in the next couple years I could see a division of our club based up there.

#2 GET OFF THE TRAIL Ė WHEN YOU SEE A GROOMER
My driver called yesterday, he was pulling a full load of heavy snow in the drag, as it is the only way he can lay a decent trail, and he had to stop because 6 guys on SNOWMOBILES would not get out of the way Ė even when he gave them a place to go! He got the groomer stuck right in the middle of the trail for 15 minutes trying to accommodate those folks. There is a ton of new snow out there, and we are trying to make your trails better. If we pull these heavy machines over to the edge they may break the trail off and get stuck. Use some common sense, and help out the VOLUNTEERS. The snow is actually deep and soft enough to temporarily get a groomer stuck right on the trail if they have to stop. It is much easier to get your snowmobile unstuck then a 20 ton groomer, so please work with the guys out there, get out of the way, and get all the way off the trail!!

Here is your quick guide:
#1 Groomers always have the right of way Ė period. I donít care who you are, or your riding ability.
#2 A soon as you see a groomer, find a spot to get all the way off the trail.
#3 If you canít find a place to get all the way off the trail consider turning around.
#4 NEVER pass a groomer unless you are motioned to do so.

PLEASE read this entire thread:
https://www.hardcoresledder.com/foru...etiquette.html

Here is the upcoming forecast. Plan on knocking off early on Sunday with the temps trails are going to get torn up. We will not groom them Sunday night, and will let them be until the temps get perfect to groom them nice and hard on Monday afternoon. Again, if you have the choice, stay off the trails on Monday evening, and then let Ďer rip on Tuesday.

Quote:
Today:#Isolated snow showers before 4pm, then scattered flurries after 4pm. Partly sunny and cold, with a high near 6. Wind chill values as low as -21. West wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Tonight:#Scattered flurries before 7pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around -6. Wind chill values as low as -18. West wind 5 to 10 mph.#

Friday:#A 30 percent chance of snow showers after 1pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 15. Wind chill values as low as -16. Calm wind becoming southwest around 5 mph in the afternoon.#

Friday Night:#A chance of snow showers before 4am, then a chance of snow showers and freezing rain. Cloudy, with a low around 12. South wind 5 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Saturday:#A chance of freezing rain before 7am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 27. West wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Saturday Night:#A chance of freezing drizzle after 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 18.

Sunday:#Freezing rain before noon, then rain showers. High near 37. Chance of precipitation is 80%.

Sunday Night:#Rain showers likely before 8pm, then rain and snow showers likely between 8pm and 3am, then a chance of rain showers after 3am. Cloudy, with a low around 34.

Monday:#Showers. Cloudy, with a high near 42.

Monday Night:#A chance of rain and snow showers before 11pm, then a chance of snow showers between 11pm and 1am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 22.

Tuesday:#Mostly cloudy, with a high near 26.

Tuesday Night:#Snow showers likely. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 12.

Wednesday:#A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 22.
Old 01-31-2019, 10:14 AM   #2
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-31-19

Now I know you have been a bit neglected so I have a bunch of trail candy for you

Here is a shot out my office window during Mondays storm. Can't see main street, only 300ft away
20190128_144641.jpg

Here is what most of the roads look like with the snow hanging in the trees.
20190130_100113.jpg

And look at the snow banks on I-75 exit to St. Ignace. On this quick over and back trip I came across a completely snow packed Mackinac Bridge deck. And 2ft tall snow banks on the bridge. Never seen it like that before.
20190130_101202.jpg

And a pic of the trail BEFORE the latest snowfall. Our trail prep had it looken' good.
20190129_111145.jpg

Groomer Wayne headed out in yesterday's wind-driven snow. A quick note, I started the groomer for him, and the high winds over the last couple of days drove a snow-drift across the dashboard through a very small gap in the window seal. 30+mph winds will do that !
20190130_155931.jpg

Trail out of Iggy has over 12in of hard packed on it already and looking really nice for sitting several days, but see anything in the distance?
20190130_160624.jpg

There's the big guy. Packing down ANOTHER 3in of fresh on top.
20190130_160652.jpg

And there she goes. Seriously look at that and tell me how we can make those trails any wider? Super-highway.... engage.
20190130_161421.jpg
Old 01-31-2019, 12:30 PM   #3
dubber75m
I'm New Here

Any word on going to the island. I heard they where going over
Old 01-31-2019, 01:18 PM   #4
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

Thumbs up Re: Trail Conditions 1-31-19

I'll be running Big Green Saturday night!
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
Presque Isle Sno-Trails
M.S.A.
Old 01-31-2019, 02:49 PM   #5
Snow VP
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubber75m View Post
Any word on going to the island. I heard they where going over
There is no treeline up yet.

We only post if the treeline is up or not. We never post ice conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddMeister View Post
I'll be running Big Green Saturday night!
Darn right. She misses you.
Old 01-31-2019, 03:03 PM   #6
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

Arrow Re: Trail Conditions 1-31-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow VP View Post
Darn right. She misses you.
Yeah it's been a couple years...last year was a frickin disaster
Presque Isle Sno-Trails
M.S.A.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:04 PM   #7
LetItSnow
Junior Rider

Hi Neil. In case you havenít seen it, I sent you an email a couple of days ago about volunteering to drive a groomer. I live in Trout Lake. Iíd be happy to drive a groomer out of Trout Lake if and when you stage one up here. Also happy to drive a groomer out of Iggy, Brevort, etc. this season.

David
Old 02-01-2019, 08:00 PM   #8
3rd_geer
Groomer Driver. All around PITA.

Here's what happens when we let Neil in the groomer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20190201-195543.jpg (32.2 KB, 104 views)
Old 02-02-2019, 07:29 AM   #9
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

Exclamation Re: Trail Conditions 1-31-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd_geer View Post
Here's what happens when we let Neil in the groomer.
I think he needs a bigger shovel!
Presque Isle Sno-Trails
M.S.A.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:32 AM   #10
Snow VP
Administrator

No biggie. Just a minor loss for forward propulsion traction in the 5ft deep sugar powder pile. Out in less than 5 min, and the result is, town trail is now opened up and it is much easier to get to both Shell stations.
Enjoy!

Last edited by Snow VP : 02-02-2019 at 08:37 AM.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:46 AM   #11
Wink
Trail Master

Really hoping the forecasted rain for Monday doesnít wreck things.

Old 02-02-2019, 09:45 AM   #12
906UP
Liquid Cooled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
Really hoping the forecasted rain for Monday doesnít wreck things.
No worries Wink, latest forecast show 36* Sun & 34* Mon, below freezing at night. There's so much snow right now, it should help it settle & firm up.
Old 02-02-2019, 10:22 AM   #13
Wink
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 906UP View Post
No worries Wink, latest forecast show 36* Sun & 34* Mon, below freezing at night. There's so much snow right now, it should help it settle & firm up.
I hope itís OK. Iíve seen reports of up to 1/2Ē of rain. That makes snow disappear real quick.

Old 02-03-2019, 04:33 PM   #14
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

Thumbs up Re: Trail Conditions 1-31-19

Got the lower loop all groomed up last night just before it warmed up.
Presque Isle Sno-Trails
M.S.A.
Old 02-03-2019, 04:37 PM   #15
polaris4me
Trail Master

30d and ice when we left this morning.

M.S.A.
Support the people that support this sport !
Old 02-04-2019, 08:16 AM   #16
PolarisRider
Trail Master

Monday morning 8:15 Rudyard 27 deg and maybe 1/8 ice or more since Sunday AM - Never made it over 30 so far this weekend.
- 05 600 Sabercat LX
- 06 600 Crossfire SnoPro
Member:
- M.S.A. - Straits Area Snowmobile Club
- Chippewa Snow Chasers - Soo Snowmobile Club - TASA
Old 02-04-2019, 10:45 AM   #17
Snow VP
Administrator

Snow on the level has settled for sure. We did not lose much over the weekend though, and there is a crust on the top now. Winds are coming up again, and a light mist in the air. Most schools in the EUP are closed AGAIN including LSSU. We do have about 0.3in of rain in the forecast today. That is going to settle offtrail and tighten up on-trail for sure. Groomers are scheduled to run tonight when the temps are correct which will set our base level for the foreseeable future. Forecast has 2in of snow on Wednesday to top things off. Latching a snow storm next weekend.

Conditions will change a ton in the next 12-20 hrs, so this will be the Monday update and the main update will come on Tuesday.
Closed Thread