Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 11:06 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 1-03-19

OK here we go, first trail condition report of 2019... Yes I have typed 2019 correctly, and have not had to cross out 2018 yet... but it will happen 100 times this month.

So we did get another little shot of 1 - 1.5in last night. Super light and fluffy stuff. With that, today, and today only I am going to call the trails rideable, and I will qualify that. RIght now there is a good 3-4in of very light lake effect type snow over a solid and very slick ice base. So technically you can ride that, you will have enough to cool the sled and you should not be scraping ground everywhere you go. We still don't have decent enough conditions as I think for the most part we will be wasting fuel at this time.

Things may change this weekend though, as Friday and Saturday will be in the mid 30s. This is gonna settle that snow and create conditions where we can stick it to the ice, and grooming MAY be useful. I am going to go out on Saturday and make that call from the trail. It isn't going to make fantastic riding conditions, it will be more about prepping for the next storm and getting the base in great shape.

You are not going to see any new snow for this weekend, and with the forecasted temps and any sun, we will be loosing some for sure. The next snow event, and long range is calling it a decent chance at a real snowstorm, is the following weekend. Jan 15-Feb is trending much colder, and we should see several storms track across Michigan. Here is hoping we see those in the Straits area.

So there you have it. If you wanted to ride, you can. You are going to contend with lots of fluff, ice, a few rocks here and there, and VERY EARLY riding conditions. The trails will not hold up to a ton of traffic, but I think a few people will have a good time if they try.

Photos are very deceiving, but I will leave you with a pic from just outside iggy, in a place where the trail usually looks good. Granted the open areas are not going to look this good, but here is some trail condy for you regardless.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190101_145627 small.jpg (235.3 KB, 107 views)
Old 01-03-2019, 10:28 PM   #2
BAK
Junior Rider

Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-03-19

Long time follow here and a long time fan of your trail system !! Thank you for what you do for the sport. I am seeing a big storm for Monday for the Eastern U.P. 8" - 12" on wunderground. Will you be grooming Monday if they are correct? Thanks again and keep up the great work !!
Old 01-04-2019, 09:50 AM   #3
Snow VP
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAK View Post
Long time follow here and a long time fan of your trail system !! Thank you for what you do for the sport. I am seeing a big storm for Monday for the Eastern U.P. 8" - 12" on wunderground. Will you be grooming Monday if they are correct? Thanks again and keep up the great work !!
That 8-12in looks to be pretty optimistic at this point, sites I follow are looking in the 5in range. That said, the groomers are prepped, the guys are ready to go, and if we can get 3-4in of good snow the tracks are going to turn!
FIrst run is always in the daylight, so Monday would be the first opportunity. They are still uncertain of the warm air with Mondays snow, but right now it does look good.

As far as this weekend, good news is they pulled the temps down tomorrow to 30-34d. Bad news it is 36d already today. Lots of settling and some melting today for sure. Be careful and have fun if you are going to ride this weekend, if you have the choice, hold off 7 days and we should be ready to roll for you.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:28 PM   #4
Snow VP
Administrator

SO the forecast is holding up very very well for the EUP. The only thing that is uncertain right now is how much rain we are going to get with the snow, as the freezing line is going to push North during the storm tomorrow. Right now the site have settled at 5-7 for our area, and I will tell you that is going to do us up very well.
There is a decent amount of snow on the ground North of Moran, and almost to Trout Lake. There is enough that I ran part of the RR grade yesterday and Ken did the whole North system today getting things ready for our new snow. The base is ice, or hard packed snow, flat and ready for some new stuff.

The festivities should start about 6am tomorrow and last for a good 12 hours.

Pics are some good areas between Kenneth and Burma grade on the RR grade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190105_103911-sm.jpg (171.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg 20190105_130921-sm.jpg (198.3 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg 20190105_130928-sm.jpg (211.8 KB, 57 views)
Closed Thread