Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2020, 12:26 PM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 2-27-20

I will start out with saying that overall everything out there is in quite good condition. We did lose more snow that I had originally expected in the warm up last weekend. The result in that is a very very hard base, turned into ice in many areas, especially the RR Grade, and the tighter corners in the bottom. We did not lose any trails, and yes the roads were bare pavement. Last Sunday morning I did groom Iggy town, and laid a trail so you can get through it, with some scraping on pavement. Everything froze down hard on Wednesday, most of it was pretty flat when it froze, there were a few problem areas that will continue to be there for awhile, but nothing to worry about at all. Yes the RR Grade has some ice on it in the open areas, and Wayne pulled in some stored snow from the side yesterday to put some cover on it. Overall he said the grade was 90% flat, and a few frozen stutters in it here and there.

The forecast for the weekend here is very nice for riding - if not a little warm on Sunday.

Friday: Snow showers likely, mainly before 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 23. Northwest wind around 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Quote:
Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 14. Northwest wind 5 to 15 mph.
Saturday: Partly sunny, with a high near 27. West wind 5 to 10 mph.
Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 18.
Sunday: Partly sunny, with a high near 35.
Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 28.
Monday: Scattered snow showers before 9am, then scattered rain and snow showers between 9am and 11am, then scattered rain showers after 11am. Cloudy, with a high near 38.
Monday Night: Scattered rain and snow showers before 9pm, then scattered snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27.
Tuesday: Scattered rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 38.
Tuesday Night: Scattered snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27.
Wednesday: Scattered rain and snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 38.

The beginning of next week will also be warm. Not worried about that "R" word in the forecast at all. YEs it will be warm enough, but the precip total is very small. In fact, we do need some fresh to top everything off for a perfect ride, and that doe not seem to be in our forecast for the next 7 days. Here is hoping we can get 1 or 2 more 6-8in storms to get us through mid March.

Remember leap day is this Saturday, so you get an extra day of February riding conditions, so enjoy it!!

Today's trail condy is the RR grade, just outside of Iggy. Yes this is in the trees so it is a bit better then the open areas, but this is showing over a foot of base, flat-fast and some cooling snow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200227_102916.jpg (57.5 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg 20200227_102920.jpg (60.6 KB, 125 views)
Old 02-27-2020, 08:46 PM   #2
Ericsnowmobiler
Junior Rider

Default Re: Trail Conditions 2-27-20

Was thinking of heading back up from West Virginia next week and would like to know your thoughts on how things might hold up with the warm weather. I know thereís know real way to know til then, just looking for a gut feeling. Wonít consider it a guarantee or anything. You guys are honest with your reports and I trust your opinion. Havenít ridden at home at all this winter, pretty bummed. Summer sucks, let it snow!
Old 02-28-2020, 10:00 AM   #3
Snow VP
Administrator

Few flurries in the air this morning, no real accumulation. Word is there is a couple of in of lake effect Trout Lake Rexton way, and whiteout at times in Newberry.

they have bumped us up to about 2in of lake effect by Saturday night - not much considering it may blow off the trail. I doubt it will help our trails much.

As far as will it last next week. I think so. We have over a foot of base on the trails now, much more in many areas. I expect the South 1/2 of the grade to get very icey as it will refreeze at night, but we should not lose it. Just understand that you may encounter late March type conditions by the end of next week. That could all change in 24 hrs if we get some decent snow - however there is no precip in the 7 day QF that looks like it will help out. If you wanted to ride out of our system, you most likely will be OK, and it won't take much to ride North into more snow either.

GROOMER ALERT
despite checking the whole undercarriage just 20 or so days ago, we lost a bearing on a midroller on the Iggy groomer Wednesday night. It destroyed the bearings, shaft and wheel. We are evaluating on whether that tractor can run with a missing wheel or not. Even if it can, it won't run friday night out of Iggy so we can look at it on Saturday in the daylight.

Last edited by Snow VP : 02-28-2020 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-28-2020, 11:34 AM   #4
TL Dave
Groomer Driver. Trout Lake Expert.

Weíve definitely picked up a decent amount of new snow in TL over the last 12-18 hours and itís been snowing at a good clip all morning. Difficult to tell exactly how much new snow weíve actually gotten because itís really blowing hard, but Iíd guess 3-5 so far. The entire north loop Between Trout Lake and Cut River (Including the RR grade between Burma and TL) was groomed Wednesday night, the north section of the truck trail out of TL and the Caffey trail was groomed last night and these trails are all in pretty good shape. The entire north loop between TL and Cut River will be groomed tonight and tomorrow night.

Please be careful today as there are some pretty good drifts forming.
Old 02-28-2020, 05:44 PM   #5
Ericsnowmobiler
Junior Rider

Thereís some hillbillies from West Virginia headed up Sunday!
Old 03-01-2020, 05:28 PM   #6
polaris4me
Trail Master

7 of us rode friday and saturday. Some for the first time in the U.P. They loved it! Some of the best conditions this year. Snowing all day Friday and sunny all day Saturday. Straits area did not disappoint! TASA did, but it was short run.

Now they know why we go to the great U.P.

Seen the forecast for the next 14 days and decided to bring the sleds home. Maybe a big snowstorm will come after this warmup.

M.S.A.
Support the people that support this sport !
Old 03-01-2020, 07:37 PM   #7
Snow VP
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by polaris4me View Post
Straits area did not disappoint! TASA did, but it was short run.
Glad you had a great time!
FYI, TASA was down a groomer so I don't think they groomed South of the Rexton Store this weekend.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:15 AM   #8
markdoo
I'm New Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow VP View Post
I will start out with saying that overall everything out there is in quite good condition. We did lose more snow that I had originally expected in the warm up last weekend. The result in that is a very very hard base, turned into ice in many areas, especially the RR Grade, and the tighter corners in the bottom. We did not lose any trails, and yes the roads were bare pavement. Last Sunday morning I did groom Iggy town, and laid a trail so you can get through it, with some scraping on pavement. Everything froze down hard on Wednesday, most of it was pretty flat when it froze, there were a few problem areas that will continue to be there for awhile, but nothing to worry about at all. Yes the RR Grade has some ice on it in the open areas, and Wayne pulled in some stored snow from the side yesterday to put some cover on it. Overall he said the grade was 90% flat, and a few frozen stutters in it here and there.

The forecast for the weekend here is very nice for riding - if not a little warm on Sunday.

Friday: Snow showers likely, mainly before 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 23. Northwest wind around 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

The beginning of next week will also be warm. Not worried about that "R" word in the forecast at all. YEs it will be warm enough, but the precip total is very small. In fact, we do need some fresh to top everything off for a perfect ride, and that doe not seem to be in our forecast for the next 7 days. Here is hoping we can get 1 or 2 more 6-8in storms to get us through mid March.

Remember leap day is this Saturday, so you get an extra day of February riding conditions, so enjoy it!!

Today's trail condy is the RR grade, just outside of Iggy. Yes this is in the trees so it is a bit better then the open areas, but this is showing over a foot of base, flat-fast and some cooling snow.
trails were great this weekend had a ball
Old 03-02-2020, 11:15 AM   #9
skidoodude04
Trail Master

Trails were great but by Sat night they were getting beat up in our system just due to the snow getting thin. This week does not look good. I am staying home this weekend and praying for some cold temps and snow. This winter has been extremely warm.
Closed Thread