Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2019, 10:22 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 3-28-19

Almost end of the season. It was very warm last night, I think it stayed above 40d all night, and we got some rain too. It cut down what we have for sure. Still 12in of snow in my yard, and the ice base on the trails is still holding up. The groomers did not run last night, so it will be a little while until I can get ahold of some reports from out on the trail itself.

Stay tuned, more to come after lunch today.
Old 03-28-2019, 12:55 PM   #2
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Re: Trail Conditions 3-28-19

A tale of 2 trails.

So here is the deal, I am going to downgrade our trails today due to the rain we had last night. The bottom base has finally emerged, and there are large sections of the RR Grade that area solid ice, with a little snow / water on top. In the woods there is still a decent amount of stuff you can ride, but in/out of towns is going to be very difficult. You will need to trailer to where you want to ride and go from there. If you really want to ride our trails, I think most of the North stuff is going to be OK - again if you avoid the ice on the RR grade. You can get by it, but there is zero cooling snow.

You best bet right now is to ride North out of Brevort. Maybe out of Epoufette, or if you want to ride Iggy, you can try Castle Rock Road - beware there was some weird plowing going on on that road this winter. You could ride from the North end if you wanted though.

These pics are from the last 2 days. Shows how much snow is still on the bridges on Round Lake Rd out of Iggy. And local guy decided to get stuck on the Dam Road - but the pic shows how much snow there is left there too.
IMG_4257(1).jpg
stuck truck.jpg

Next pics are just outside of Iggy today. Shows there is still snow in the woods, and a decent base. Also shows that there is alot of ice in the open areas.
20190328_104536small.jpg
20190328_104538small.jpg
20190328_104835small.jpg
20190328_104927small.jpg

Moran, same thing. Some snow, and decent base where sheltered a bit. Anything open is solid ice, and the road intersections are getting a bit muddy.
IMG_4271.jpg
IMG_4270.jpg
IMG_4272.jpg

If you want to come up and ride, give it a shot, but I can't say that there won't be problems out there. Enjoy, and be safe.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:04 PM   #3
Snow VP
Administrator

After all of that, I do believe that with the ice and very likely lack of traffic, that aside from a return home trip from the Brevort Groomer, we are all done grooming for the season.

For those of you that have come up and rode our trails this season, I hope you had a good time. It was an epic February for sure, with more snow that we had the last 2 or 3 seasons combined.

We did not groom until the second week of January, and even then in each of the months of January, February, and March - we groomed more than we did all of last season, so that puts us at over 3 times last years mileage!

Look out for some posts up here. There should be some things happening this summer. We are going to have a springtime signing mission for the ATV/snow signs to repair the winter damage. That will happen sometime before memorial day. We have a couple of maintenance projects, with trail filling, and a culvert to be bid out. And we have a couple of brushing projects as well. Who knows, hopefully by next season we will be working out of a new groomer barn.

We hope to (have to) bring in a new batch of groomer drivers as well for next season. We were so busy trying to keep things going we were not able to get any training done this spring - so we hope to have those interested ready to go for training next season.

I still have 1ft of snow in my front yard, and 2ft in the rear. I guess someday it will have to be mowed, but no time soon!

Enjoy one last rip out there if you can, have fun, and be safe.
Old 03-28-2019, 01:39 PM   #4
Wink
Trail Master

Thanks for a great year, best I can remember in a long time. Getting the sleds this weekend. In my mind, the season is over. Dont want to finish the year in a mess.

Cincinnati Reds opener is today. 150 year celebration. I'm ready for baseball, and watching my grandson play.

See you this summer, or spring if I can make it UP to help.

Member:
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
MSA

Old 03-28-2019, 04:16 PM   #5
skidoodude04
Trail Master

Thanks for everything Neal! One heck of a year! Best winter I have seen in years. Packed on so much riding this year the 2019 is for sale. 2020 is on order, bring on the snow!!
Old 03-29-2019, 09:19 AM   #6
lowersnowgoer
Trail Master

Thanks again great season
Old 03-29-2019, 12:50 PM   #7
mlserniuk
I'm New Here

Was thinking of coming this weekend to ride from the ice rink to Trout Lake. Is there enough snow by the ice rink along the RR grade for us to do this OR would we have to trailer farther Northwest?

Thanks in advance and have a Happy Friday!
Old 03-29-2019, 12:55 PM   #8
Snow VP
Administrator

You could probably make it, however be aware that large sections of the RR grade are now solid ice, with zero snow on top. Please take a look at the pics above for semi current conditions. I would recommend trailering to Brevort and ride North from there as the woods should have much more cooling snow. You are still going to run into water, and maybe even some bare spots by now.

I am mostly speaking from experience here, as I have not gotten a report from the woods since Tuesday.

I know a couple of people who are in town to ride today, I will report up the info when/if they give me a call.
Old 03-29-2019, 01:27 PM   #9
aswetich
I'm New Here

Default Trailoring to Brevort

If we trailer to Brevort is there a place we could park for the day there?
Old 03-29-2019, 02:27 PM   #10
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Re: Trailoring to Brevort

Quote:
Originally Posted by aswetich View Post
If we trailer to Brevort is there a place we could park for the day there?
Drive North on Ozark (schoolhouse road) as far as you can. Turn around and park along the side of the road and you will be fine for the day.
Closed Thread