Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > General Discussion > The Trail Head
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Trail Head General Discussion About Miscellaneous Topics Here

Old 04-14-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
Wink
Trail Master

Default New tractor for the Straits groomer?

The excavation company I work for is part of a family farm business. Last month they got 9 new (1 year old) tractors. Here are 2 of the big ones. 500 HP each and artciulating. I know the one with the duals wouldn't fit on some trails but it still looks impressive. They're not green but I bet Todd would still like to run one of these bad boyz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-04-11_18-22-03_882.jpg (57.7 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-04-11_18-22-24_202.jpg (56.4 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-04-13_16-10-09_749.jpg (57.4 KB, 108 views)

"Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do!"

Wink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Re: New tractor for the Straits groomer?

How old is the quad-trac? I am going to be looking at those long and hard for our next machine, if they are still making them. I think they quit making them for a while because they had chronic problems with the hydro drives. The only issue I see, is I think they are a lot bigger machines then we have now. We run 175HP machines, you say they are 500HP? I could justify 250, but probably not 500. We will never do another wheeled machine, no matter what the color.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:06 PM   #3
Wink
Trail Master

Pretty sure they both are just over 1 year old. We get them after one year of use. They come from the biggest farmer in Ohio who buys new every year. We have some smaller ones also but not with tracks. We also use them for pulling pans and putting field tile in with a plow. You can't see it but that's what is on the back of the quad trax.

"Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do!"

Last edited by Wink : 04-14-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Wink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:35 PM   #4
con-fusion
Trail Master

tracks are still available on most colors, and becoming more popular on the front wheel assist units, and more in the horsepower you are looking for.
con-fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
Snow VP
Administrator

Aftermarket Sausy tracks though. I am not convinced by those yet, over 40 greese-zerts. Kinda spoiled by our tractors, there is only 2.

I would like to have one of those quad tracks for 2 weeks or so to test out. at 500 HP, could probably just idle down the trail.

The closest thing I can find in our size, with factory tracks is Deere's new HSD, and no one will tell me what those cost.

It is all fantacy anyway, we are still 4+ years out for a newly funded tractor.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #6
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

Hey Wink the color doesn't matter, I can always bring a Green spray can to make it what I prefer hee hee LOL
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
M.S.A.
ToddMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
Floyd
Trail Master

Personally, I think that is the most beautiful shade of "green" I have seen. Case IH has perfected many things over the years, and the quad track tractor is one of them. Like Wink said, definately a lot bigger machine than what is needed on the trail systems, but they are awesome machines. I think the Quad Tracks are available from 375 to 600 hp (that's PTO horsepower)! I think the 600 has an engine horsepower of 670. We saw one last summer at the Case summer meeting, and it was impressive to say the least. I don't think they offer anything smaller out of the factory with tracks. Thanks Wink for posting the pics. I would love to see that color in the Straits trail system.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:43 AM   #8
Floyd
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddMeister View Post
Hey Wink the color doesn't matter, I can always bring a Green spray can to make it what I prefer hee hee LOL
I heard they run worse when spray painted a different color. Besides, this color matches YOUR sled closer than anything else
Old 04-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

Well yeah ya got me there, Floyd! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
I heard they run worse when spray painted a different color. Besides, this color matches YOUR sled closer than anything else
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
M.S.A.
ToddMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
Snow VP
Administrator

So we know that we will probably not see a new groomer around here for 5-8 years, but I always keep my ear to the ground.

We have speculated that the Deere HSD may be an option:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfa6mI2qC-8 (skip to 6min)

I finally got info that implied that the HSD runs in the $325k range. + we would have to modify drags with lifting tongues to run on that machine, and probably video camera systems as well. Sounds like ti is cost prohibitive.

They are supposedly coming out with an improvement to the Sousy design next year or so eliminating a lot of grease fittings. More inside/outside wet bearings. An idea, but still fairly expensive 'add-on' to the tractors.

I talked to a guy over the weekend that seemed to know what he was talking about, and claimed to know that CASE is coming out with a 180-200HP version of the quad-track tractor, that will have tracks from the factory, and will be available to the dealers in less then 2 years.

Even if it takes longer then that, hopefully they will have things ironed out before we have to make a decision.