Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 10:22 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 3-12-20

OK, so trails are in fair condition right now. They have a great ice base, and there is 0-2in of crystal snow on top.... right now. The best description of the trails is that we have a good base, not nearly as deep as we would normally would have, however the areas that are typically bad, are really pretty good, and better than they would be. We have very couple bare spots, yes some ice in the corners, and just a couple of bare spots - aside from getting into/out of towns, where all pavement is completely bare. Almost zero snirt as far as I know.
Confused yet?
All of that doesn't matter, as the problem is that is going to change this afternoon and tonight. We are predicted to get between 1/4 and 1/2in of rain tonight, and even up to 3/4in in the Newberry area which could more this way. The crazy thing is, I think that our trails will survive this rain, but it is the refreeze after that which is going to pose the issues. Everything is going to glaze completely over, and we probably don't have enough snow stored to completely restore the trails afterwards. So we will be left with a fantastic ice base, and no cooling snow.

Longer term forecast is for a slow death, and maybe 1-2in of snow Sunday-Monday timeframe. If we can get a couple of inches of snow next week the following weekend very likely will be good to go. We will prepare for that for sure

So, breaking it down, I will have to do another report with conditions on Friday as things are going to change much in the next 24 hrs. Currently we are planning on running groomers on Friday night - the big difference is we normally will run as things are freezing to make a hard flat trail, this time we are going to try to run after the freeze and bring in some snow and break up the ice to have cooling snow. After that it will certainly be day-to-day on the grooming operation, and we may wait a full week and run before next weekend.

Before I leave you with some trail candy, I just want to remind all of you out there... The Walking Dead is not a documentary, and you cant catch CV19 wearing your protective helmet riding your sled in the woods!

Todays pic is from Thursday morning, just outside of iggy. A pretty protected area, but the open areas are just about this good as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200312_084248small.jpg (26.3 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg 20200312_084301small.jpg (36.5 KB, 108 views)
Old 03-13-2020, 01:06 PM   #2
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Re: Trail Conditions 3-12-20

So we did get quite a bit of rain overnight as expected. Officially I will say trail are rideable, but they will not gbe great. The RR Grade has alot of ice on it now, with a few slush holes and some snow in the covered area. The woods trails are sugar snow, with the occasional slush hole. Towns are bare. Trail into the South side of Trout Lake is pretty snirty, but ridable.

Can you ride? Yes. Do I recommend it? I don't think I can. Cooling snow will be at a premium.

All that sais, there is some sort of storm system on the long term forecast for next weekend - and we will watch that closely. All the trails are flat and hard, and all we will need in 2in of good snow and we will be back in very good conditions.

Hold up, be with family this weekend, and enjoy. We will probably all be tired of each other after the next 3 weeks! lol.

Pics are of the current conditions of the RR grade in the Moran area.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_IMG_5976.jpg (62.7 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Resized_IMG_5977.jpg (81.4 KB, 73 views)
Old 03-13-2020, 06:56 PM   #3
Attak06
Guest Groomer. Drainer of Water.

Default Re: Trail Conditions 3-12-20

Thanks for update Neil. You know the trails arenít great when youíre checking them via pickup truck 😜 looks like a stellar base though.
Self-Appointed Drain Commissioner
Closed Thread