Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2020, 09:27 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 3-05-20

We came through the warmup just fine. Very little snow lost on the trail. They are in really good shape on the North side, and decent shape on the South side.

Forecast is looking very good in the short term. Perfect temps today, and a forecast of 4in of snow in Iggy, up to about 6in in Trout Lake/Rexton. That will top things off for a damn nice ride on Saturday. The temps are going to be pretty high on Sunday, in the upper 40s, so it will be very loose/soft and have the corners blown out pretty easy with the fresh snow if I had to guess.

Conditions will change alot over the next 48 hours, so standy for a Friday update.

Next week they are watching for a decent early week storm. Not sure if it will be snow or rain just yet - probably a mix of both actually.

Have some special trail condy for you today. I was out working on near the West end of the Caffey yesterday. The report is lots of snow, and the trail was in great shape. First pic is from the middle of the trail, second 2 are at the Caffey tree on the West end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized_20200304_162020.jpg (61.5 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg Resized_20200304_162749.jpg (42.8 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg Resized_20200304_162747.jpg (26.0 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by Snow VP : 03-05-2020 at 09:34 AM.
Old 03-05-2020, 09:30 AM   #2
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Re: Trail Conditions 3-05-20

Just wanted to let you guys know that you need to go North of 28 to find snow. No snow on the trails, and nothing in the woods South of 28.

Ya, I hear that year after year. Hearing it right now actually.
Just wanted to share a pic with you from when I was winching my 4-track out after getting stuck in 40in of powder. This is dead center between Trout Lake, Rexton, the Caffey and Molly Gibbs trails.

Yes. I am actually standing up.

The whole trip was like that. Got stuck 10 times. Literally could not walk in the snow, and would take 15 minutes just to crawl 20 feet. I was working... but people boondock for fun right?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg imagejpeg_0001 (3).jpg (51.7 KB, 138 views)

Last edited by Snow VP : 03-05-2020 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-05-2020, 12:37 PM   #3
Attak06
Guest Groomer. Drainer of Water.

Thatís why I like to stay south of 28. Even if there is less snow, thereís far less traffic.
Self-Appointed Drain Commissioner
Old 03-05-2020, 06:58 PM   #4
Ericsnowmobiler
Junior Rider

I absolutely agree with attac06. I avoid suckberry like the plague. We came up from West Virginia Sunday night and rode Monday Tuesday and Wednesday. We rode 623 miles in three days on glass. St Ignace were the best trails we had all week. Tried to head suckberryís direction yesterday and turned around. Itís still not straightened up from the weekend. The Polaris trail app had a guy post his trail conditions report between suckberry and trout lake as wtf. My buddy said I wonder what that means, was that fun? Lol! Let the ďexpertsĒ crowd moron over moron, I donít need to see 5000 jackasses to verify in my mind that what Iím doing is right. If itís smooth and Iím going fast and donít see a bunch of other people Iím doing the right thing. See you guys next year, great afterthought of a trip, just awesome actually
Old 03-05-2020, 10:18 PM   #5
ToddMeister
Guest Groomer & THE Bay City Roller

Thumbs up Re: Trail Conditions 3-05-20

Well I am up in the Soo with SmittyAllSeason for the Groomer Workshop this weekend. Stay tuned for some pics of different grooming equipment we will be looking at and playing with tomorrow and Saturday. Brought the sleds so will be going for a sled ride too.

Snowing like crazy right now woo hooo
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
Presque Isle Sno-Trails
MISORVA
Old 03-06-2020, 09:00 AM   #6
Snow VP
Administrator

About 3-4in in Iggy, and 6in in Moran reported. Trails were groomed yesterday evening to start packing it down, and groomers will run again tonight. Be a bit careful out there, there will be drifting for sure, the winds were horrendous in the EUP last night.

Forecast is for quite warm temps over the weekend, especially on Sunday. Warning is that the trails will get very tore up on Saturday with the fresh fairly soft snow and the warm temps. We will evaluate if it can be groomed on Saturday night and/or Sunday. I will be out of town, but will try to post info when I get it.
Old 03-07-2020, 08:24 AM   #7
Snow VP
Administrator

Trails reported in great shape. Enjoy the day!!!
Closed Thread