Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > General Discussion > The Trail Head
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Trail Head General Discussion About Miscellaneous Topics Here

Old 11-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #26
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Re: Novi Snow Show Nov.4,5,6

So did the St. Ignace area have a booth? I was asked to go quite some time ago, (actually the last 2 years) but last year was too last minute, and this year never happening with my big projects. Well, maybe next year.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:52 PM   #27
Wink
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow VP View Post
So did the St. Ignace area have a booth? I was asked to go quite some time ago, (actually the last 2 years) but last year was too last minute, and this year never happening with my big projects. Well, maybe next year.
I didn't get over to the area where most of the tourism displays were. I have seen them there in the past.

"Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do!"

Wink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #28
Gunner F5
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by conniver04 View Post
It was a great time yesterday. I have to thank Neil for putting this forum together that we can all get together and have a good time together. I would venture a guess we were the biggest snow club assembled at the show. It was great seeing everyone and can't wait to see everyone up in the up in the snow. It was great hanging with Gunner and Danyele till the wee hours. Had a great time. Let it snow!!!
We had a great time as well. Can't wait until we ride in Iggy.
Gunner F5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:53 PM   #29
Bill
Trail Master

I strongly agree with Wink. From my first show about 11 years ago until this one there has been a significant drop in vendors, especially the last 4 years. It is still fun and I will continue to attend but with not as much anticaption as years past. This forum is great and what a turn out for the club at Novi, I am proud to be part of it! I hope we can see each other with snow on the ground strapped to our sleds!!

P.S. Hey Neil, yes there was a St.Ignace booth, Brenda and I stopped by and talked with them for a few minutes.

Last edited by Bill : 11-06-2011 at 10:56 PM. Reason: added a message
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #30
Floyd
Trail Master

I think that a number of the vendors look at the Novi show NOT for the intention of selling things at the show directly, but more importantly as HAVING to be there to:
1) get their name out to newer snowmobilers
2) let existing customers know that they are still in business
3) listen to existing customers concerns about their products (armchair engineers who "know how to re-invent the wheel")
4) count on "residual sales" after the show, once everyone had a chance to regroup (or sober up in some peoples case )

I know it's a good time for some of the clothing vendors to get rid of their carryover inventory, but I know they probably don't sell enough clothing and accessories to cover the cost of booth space. I'm not sure what the cost per square foot to rent space is at Novi, but I'm sure it isn't cheap. Our vendor at the annual National Farm Machinery Show in Lousville pays over $10/sq. ft. for a 4 day show.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #31
polaris4me
Trail Master

Here is the web site for the snow shows, http://snowmobileusa.com/

From what I can find , booth space start at $ 735.00.

Nice to see everyone. Hope to you all on the trail this winter.
We I got was a set of hyfax. Wife pick up a hat. Really did not need anything else. But always fun to go and look around.

M.S.A.
Support the people that support this sport !
polaris4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:49 AM   #32
Floyd
Trail Master

I'm sure that $735 will only get you a 10' x 10' or so booth space. May not sound like a huge cost, but I'm sure that all the area hotels jack up their rates for that weekend. Probably be hard pressed to find anything decent for under $100-$125+ per night plus tax times 2 or 3 nights. Not to mention food and drink $ for 3 days.
I sure missed seeing everyone there Saturday. I didn't realize it at the time, but I had committed to some Buckeye tickets a couple months ago. Couldn't pass up the opportunity to see the game from 7 rows up on the 45 yard line. Bucks made the game a little interesting, but managed to put up another mark in the win column (unlike some other school we know, cough cough)!
Old 11-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #33
conniver04
Trail Master

That other school you talk about just got verbal commitment from a beast of a rb here in Mi. I have watched this kid at a few high school games this season and he's the best back I have ever watched. He was also the state champion hurdler last season as a jr. I sure do like what i see coming for the next few years. Got a great class coming next season.

16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
conniver04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #34
con-fusion
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by conniver04 View Post
I sure do like what i see coming for the next few years. Got a great class coming next season.
They must still be recruting south of the border, Eh Kenny. Hoke has a huge connection with Glenville ( Cleveland Glenville). He used to look over our school, but I can't see any Cavaliers becoming Wolverines.
con-fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #35
indootime
Trail Master

I missed this blog before the show so I didn't get to meet everyone for a beer at 2. I did however see a few of you and got to witness Bill on his 4th trip to the truck with bags of new goodies!

I agree with Wink... its gets a bit depressing year after year, but I still like to walk around with a beer and get pumped up for the upcoming season! Got a few nice deals on jackets for the kids that I wouldn't be able to get locally so all in all it was a good show.

Pat
Old 11-10-2011, 07:06 PM   #36
Gunner F5
Trail Master

I don't see why everyone seems to every year, comment on the amount of vendors, lack of vendors, etc, etc. Sounds like liberal whining if you ask me. Look, we go to the show every year to get what we need and you know what, we find it with no problems. Oil, carbides, gloves, etc. No one has gone out of business, some just are not at the show because of cost. That's ok because....they are still available thru internet sales!! We always have a good time and never have an issue finding what we need. The show will NEVER go away, trust me.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:05 PM   #37
Wink
Trail Master

Sorry if I sound like a whiner Gunner. Were you going 20 years ago when the show was a lot bigger? When you watch something as popular as the Novi show steadily dwindle, it's deflating to the enthusiasm for the show. It has always been billed as the "biggest snowmobile show" in the country. I just wonder if that is still true.

"Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do!"

Wink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #38
Gunner F5
Trail Master

My first show was 94' I believe. Internet sales and the recent economy is why the amount of vendors are down for the most part. Sure, there were a few casualties of the bad economy but that's the way it is. I believe the enthusiasm is still there, it just become harder to stay in it for some people because of cost which is sad, but reality. I hear some people say they are getting out of it because of the high cost but at the same time, their sleds are paid for.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:00 PM   #39
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

It was great seeing everyone at the show. Attached is a pic during the gathering Saturday afternoon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0112.jpg (62.2 KB, 57 views)
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
M.S.A.
ToddMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #40
Floyd
Trail Master

Boy. Everyone looks "spent" in the picture. Not to mention I did not see 1 lonely beer in anyone's hand or on the table. Everyone must have been in the shopping mode and not drinking mode.
Old 11-11-2011, 07:23 PM   #41
MJA
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd View Post
Boy. Everyone looks "spent" in the picture. Not to mention I did not see 1 lonely beer in anyone's hand or on the table. Everyone must have been in the shopping mode and not drinking mode.
It looks as if Kenny may have a barley pop wedged in his arm as he is doing a money transfer on his phone to purchase more merchandise.
11/12 MSA family member
12/13 MSA family member
13/14 MSA family member
14/15 MSA family member
15/16 MSA family member

MJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #42
polaris4me
Trail Master

Just talked to my brother about the show. As many of you know he sets up the vintage sled display. My brother talked with Scott Anderson ( show promoter ) and he said attendance was up for Friday night, down a little on Saturday, did not get info for Sunday. More venders this year. Yes, more venders.
I just seen on HCS, a vender said best show they had in 4 years.

I think some had smaller booths, which made it look like a smaller show.
I did not find clothing carried over from a year or two back. ( Polaris clothing ). Blame that on the slow economy the last few years. I remember a few years ago getting a jacket for my wife for $65.

M.S.A.
Support the people that support this sport !
polaris4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #43
conniver04
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJA View Post
It looks as if Kenny may have a barley pop wedged in his arm as he is doing a money transfer on his phone to purchase more merchandise.
Leave it to you to see I may have a coors light in my arms....

16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
conniver04 is offline   Reply With Quote