Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 10:39 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 4-04-18

So the first several inches of snow melted from the ground up yesterday. We didn't really get any accumulation until after midnight, but Iggy did get the 8-10" with lots of drifting. The snow is not a wet as they were saying it would be, I would call it a medium content system snow. This is definitely the best and most quantity snow we have had all season.

Storm totals are:
8-10" Iggy
10-12" Moran (on trail)
12" Trout Lake
12" Brevort
14" Epoufette

I will know more in a few hours. I am talking to guys and forming a plan.
Old 04-04-2018, 01:39 PM   #2
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Re: Trail Conditions 4-04-18

After airing up a flat drag tire, Groomer Wayne is on the trail right now...
Old 04-04-2018, 07:14 PM   #3
no1 pro
Trail Master

Neil I cant just let this slip by. Im only 3.5 hours away. If I drive up early tomorrow morning can I park my truck and trailer at the hockey rink and ride from there. And ride from there. I understand early season riding and lack of a base but is it worth it. Thanks
Old 04-04-2018, 09:49 PM   #4
Snow VP
Administrator

OK, so here is all of the info that I got.
Storm totals are:
8-10" Iggy
10-12" Moran (on trail)
12" Trout Lake
12" Brevort
14" Epoufette

In the core of our trail system there was even more then that, around 16" or so. BUT here is the deal, this snow was a lot lighter than the forecast was calling for. It not like lake effect, but not far off of it. It is settling down to half its depth were it is touched. Add that to the fact the frost was coming out of the ground and there are some issues that will have to be dealt with.

So Groomer Wayne took the Iggy groomer out today, got back a little while ago. On the way out the RR Grade he was having to freeze down water holes, and they were looking pretty good, on the way back some trucks drove down the trail (which we fully expect this time of year) and the water hols have turned into mud holes. Consequently riding out of Iggy will be OK tomorrow, you will have to deal with about a mile of crap and take the West side, out 473 and you will be all good. With the temp forecast and sun, I will guess we will lose the RR grade South or Moran by tomorrow night - mostly because the frost was coming out. On most of the rest of the trails we still had some ice base, and they are in fantastic shape. There was actually too much powder for the groomer to pack in one pass, and it kinda should be run again. There is a small possibility that we will run the Iggy groomer again before the weekend, but right now I'm not really planning on it.

Now, after we found the deep powder and temp problems, we canceled the Brevort groomer run, and we are holding that for 24 hours. Groomer Ken & Bobby are going to run the North and West trails tomorrow night, after the snow has some time to settle and the temps go down a bit. That means we will hit our trails from Brevort-Epoufette-Trout Lake and the North end of the RR Grade later tomorrow night, so Friday they should be good to go and in really really good shape.

What will you find on the trails? Well we are kinda starting over. I would call it early season riding, and you have to understand that the snow was alot of powder so the groomer packed what it could. If this were mid-season we would have groomed it differently and in probably 3 passes to make the trail the best we could over the long term. For this situation though, you are getting one panning/packing pass and probably not much else, so you may find some holes develop (that would normally freeze in) you will for sure find some tore up corners after we get a bit of traffic. If you venture off trail in the state lands, be super careful as there will be nothing to protect you from the stumps and sticks.

It is going to be warm in the day, with a high sun, and cool at night. I fully expect the core trails (North of Moran) to last through the weekend. I also expect they will get tore up with any amount of traffic. They will be fun while they last though!

OK, now if you don't already now there are no grooming extensions, so if any grooming is going on beyond March 31, the clubs foot the bill. Yes it costs over $200 per run, per groomer in expenses with volunteer labor (which we have), a full groom for us is about $470ish. I had a message earlier today asking if the person can contribute to the cause. I appreciate that but collecting $5 here and there is actually alot of work and kinda a pain, so we will as this time say we appreciate it, but the club will cover this for you guys to have a great time in the St. Ignace area. What I will do, is ask if you are coming up to stay, please consider our Pres. Motel the Super 8, or groomer Bobbys place in Epoufette, the skyline motel:
http://www.straitsareasnowmobileclub...ead.php?t=1769
Additionally if you are in the area, don't be afraid to tell the bartender, waitress or hotelier that you are here specifically because we got snow and the Straits club groomed.

ALSO, if you are so inclined and still want to help out, we have a big project coming up late summer - we are building our first groomer barn! A sorely needed item, it is time to sink the foundations so our guys have a warm place to work on the groomers. How can you help? We are not looking for volunteer labor to build it, everyone in the club works long summer hours, and we can't manage crews on a long project - so we are going to hire out the construction. BUT if you know of any place that would like to help out with anything that we may need as far as materials or outfitting the shop I would appreciate a heads up. We fully expect to pay for stuff, but if people can help out with stuff maybe at their cost it would help out tons. We are planning on a fully finished pole barn type shop with in-floor heating and a steel interior. After the building goes up, of course we will need to fit it out. So things like a security system, lighting, air compressor, welder, oil tanks, a live broadcast web cam will be needed. Basically anything you can think of for a diesel shop. New, or even very good used items for sale would be helpful. If you know anything that can help out, please just PM me the info.

OK off my soap box, onto more conditions: I think the temps and weather are going to hold up for riding in the UP this weekend - not just in our area so research stuff and see if you can make some miles out there. There is even a couple more inches of snow for Friday night supposed to happen which will freshen things up a little.
Our forecast:

Quote:
Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 17. West wind around 10 mph.

Thursday: A slight chance of snow showers before 9am, then a chance of snow showers after 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 33. Southwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Thursday Night: A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21. West wind 5 to 10 mph.

Friday: A 50 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 32. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming northwest 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph.

Friday Night: A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 18. West wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Saturday: Snow showers likely, mainly after 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 29. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Saturday Night: Snow showers likely, mainly before 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 14. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Sunday: A chance of snow showers before 8am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 33.

Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 18.

Monday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 35.
So that is the skinny. After a super crappy season on the straits trails, we are going out in style. Tossing out an extra groom to get things in shape so people can remember why the come around here - flat and fun trails.

Remember the trail up from Epoufette to Rexton is a TASA trail, and that one will not be groomed. From the reports that I have seen, I think that trail will be OK to ride, but you may again find some water on the long section of old logging RR grade at the far West side (it was a problem several years ago). Other then that this weekend, I think you can easily stay North of Moran, run Trout Lake, Rexton, Epoufette, and Brevort and have a fantastic day with a couple hundred miles. If you want to stay right in Iggy, I think you will be OK riding out of town Thursday for sure, Friday probably, Saturday will be pushing it. If you prefer, instead of trailering all the way to Moran or Brevort, you can catch the extension of the trail at Castle Rock. Get off the exit right there, go West, and park along Lant road, and ride up Castle Rock Road, keep going straight though when you hit the RR Grade, and that is what we call the West side of the lower loop - there is nothing but good trails on the West side of Brevort Lake and you will have a great ride. The roads have melted pretty fast, so getting into and out of towns may become an issue. Don't try to ride into Iggy for gas, Brevort with the side of US-2 may be a bit of an issue on Saturday, Trout Lake should be OK.

Well, I have rambled along for too long here, time to grab some dinner. Post up any questions you may have. If you already have polished the tunnels up and put those sleds to bed, then thanks for a good season. If you happen to rail our trails this weekend, then please be careful, and enjoy one last ride of the season!

I will leave you with a quick pic of the storm front forming over Mackinac Island, and the groomer as I found it this morning, and Groomer Wayne heading out this afternoon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180403_081010.jpg (45.4 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg 20180404_084901.jpg (63.3 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg 20180404_125439.jpg (51.5 KB, 134 views)

Last edited by Snow VP : 04-04-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 04-05-2018, 09:00 AM   #5
Snow VP
Administrator

Down to the teens last night in town, and even colder in Moran. The big lake skimmed over with ice yet again. Expecting low 30s today, which will soften the trails up again. Will loose a bit of snow today, but not too bad. Expect 1-2 1/2in additional tonight to freshen things up.

Brevort groomer will run this afternoon-evening. If you are in the area and come across a fresh ribbon, please try not to tear it up too bad so it freezes in tonight and it will be good for teh weekend.

Happy trails.
Old 04-05-2018, 11:55 AM   #6
Wink
Trail Master

Is the swamp trail out of Trout Lake passable.

"Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do!"

Old 04-05-2018, 12:03 PM   #7
Snow VP
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
Is the swamp trail out of Trout Lake passable.
No idea. But considering how long it look TASA to freeze it down, and the water that was coming out of the ground in some other areas, I would bet there is some mud in there.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:19 PM   #8
Snow VP
Administrator

OK End of the day report. We lost snow, around 1/3 of what we had. Temps got warmer than the forecast by quite a bit, and as of 7pm here we are still at 35d. For instance, in Moran there was no melting at all until after 1pm, then we lost several inches and the snow melted and settled down. The melting snow combined with the 'unfrosted' areas has caused some water puddles to form. Any riding out there is definitely considered April, not March riding. Trails will hold up through Friday for sure. Right now, I am going to say that if we get a bunch of traffic Sunday riding is going to be kinda nasty. The question will be Saturday. No way to tell until we see what temps do tonight and the new snow we get.

I talked to Bobby and he said it is too warm to groom out of Brevort right now. He is going to watch the temps and hed out later tonight - but only if conditions improve. If he goes out with it too warm, then he will cause way more damage than he will help with. Sleds are holding the trail down today, but the couple trucks have caused some damage too.

Attached pics for what we are seeing out there. This area is just outside Iggy and has been groomed. In the trees it is fantastic. In the sun, the water worked its way up from the bottom.

I will let you know what I hear in the morning as soon as I can. Right now, unless you are super hard-core, I would not recommend driving 5-6 hours for these conditions as I don't want you to come all that way and be disappointed. Please understand that conditions may change in just a few hours time, and I am trying to keep you updated as much as I can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180405_134710.jpg (66.0 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg 20180405_134715.jpg (62.4 KB, 111 views)
Old 04-05-2018, 08:21 PM   #9
Wink
Trail Master

Neil, when the trails are officially closed, does that mean we are not supposed to ride on seasonal roads?

Old 04-05-2018, 09:22 PM   #10
Wink
Trail Master

Thanks for the honesty Neil.

Best groomed trails in the state and the most honest trail reports. A sledder can’t ask for anything more!

Last edited by Wink : 04-06-2018 at 06:11 AM.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:02 PM   #11
indootime
Trail Master

I hit the swamp out of Trout Lake last weekend and it was still frozen.

Pat
Old 04-06-2018, 08:50 AM   #12
Snow VP
Administrator

Quote:
Neil, when the trails are officially closed, does that mean we are not supposed to ride on seasonal roads?
Nope, the opposite, expect to see other forms of transportation out there.
Our trails don't officially close, what happens is teh grooming grants run out.

ALSO, if a club has a lease or permit on private property that technically usually runs Dec1-March 31. However we don't have that problem on the West side of our trails as they are year-round motorized.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:52 AM   #13
Snow VP
Administrator

Quick update.
We did not get the snow predicted. Just a dusting out of the 2" forecast. Still forecasted for 1" today, guess we will see.

Bobby called me late yesterday evening, and was trying to decide to groom to Trout Lake or not. It got alot warmer than predicted yesterday, and it was still above freezing at 8pm. He groomed a small test area and it destroyed the snow. I left it up to him to decide to make the run, as we figured ungroomed snow is better then flattened ice/water - as it is not like we have time to build a base here.

I don't think it got very cold last night, as it was already 30d when I got up in Iggy. I drove out of town this morning and checked the trail a few miles out in an open area, and it looked OK, with 4" of semi-crunchy base. There is about 1 mile of thin stuff to get out of town today. And as you make your way up the West side of the lower loop, there will be a1 mile of side of plowed county road - you should be able to dirch bang on the West side of the road to get through there. Thinking about plowed county roads, I would not count on getting into Brevort for gas, that as 2 miles of plowed road to deal with.

I have attached some pics from this morning, as well as a map with everything I know. Want you to be able to plan a good ride.

I know several people riding today, and as always will update with more info when I have it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180406_080125.jpg (47.7 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg 20180406_075916.jpg (37.5 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 20180406_075906.jpg (40.4 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg VVMap_St_Ignace_1748.jpg (76.1 KB, 98 views)
Old 04-06-2018, 10:52 AM   #14
Snow VP
Administrator

Groomer Bobby just woke up, and he groomed most of last night. It was slow going, so he did the run to Epoufette, and the Northern loop, but blew a hydo fitting, so didn't do the last 2 miles into Trout Lake, but still came back down the RR Grade and across the Burma and Returned. That means that the only things that haven't been groomed this week are teh Cedarville COnnector, the 2 miles into Trout Lake, and the Caffey Trail. Bobby reports that trail is in really good condition with 5" of snow over the ice base in most areas. He thinks it will hold up over teh weekend for sure. He hasn't checked, but knows the area well and believes that the standing powder on the TASA trail to Rexton will be just fine for weekend riding.

I will give another update after the riders return, but that will wrap up the grooming for the season.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:30 PM   #15
Snow VP
Administrator

Talked to Toddmeister real quick. He put on 160 miles from Brevort, to Trout Lake, Rudyard, Rexton, Epoufette and the core of our trails finding no major issues. Some March type riding but he had a blast. A few sports where the sun burned snow off but that is to be expected.

If you are within a couple hours drive and have teh itch, you may want to hit them trails tomorrow!
Old 04-06-2018, 06:03 PM   #16
Wink
Trail Master

He went to Rudyard????

Old 04-06-2018, 08:57 PM   #17
ski-doo
Liquid Cooled

Rode 170miles out of brevort today, cut river to rexton to trout lake to moran all very good shape. Road sides are shot but it is also April............ great job on having groomed trails in April!!!
Old 04-07-2018, 11:46 AM   #18
no1 pro
Trail Master

Neil and everyone else thank you for the updates and reports on these april conditions. Im seriously thinking of coming up this coming Tuesday morning if the temps stay cool and the sun don't pop out to much.
Old 04-08-2018, 01:49 PM   #19
Snow VP
Administrator

Quote:
He went to Rudyard????
Yep. I thought he was nutz too, but he said there was like a foot and a half of pow riding alot of the way. He didn't have good signal to send pics, I am sure he will next week.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:04 PM   #20
Snow VP
Administrator

BTW, in case you missed it, here is a pic groomer Wayne took on the last groom of the season.
Castle Rock Road looking good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wayne Trail.jpg (56.8 KB, 67 views)
Old 04-09-2018, 08:05 AM   #21
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

Was a busy weekend but here are a few pics from our ride on Friday April 6.

About 1 foot in Trout Lake, and got deeper as we headed east towards Rudyard.

First pic is heading east on Huckleberry Road just west of RR grade.

2nd pic is Bobby Gay trail heading west out of Trout Lake

3rd pic is Bobby Gay/Dick Road intersection.

4th pic is taken near CSC Rudyard Groomer barn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0810.jpg (69.0 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0812.jpg (19.3 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0814.jpg (62.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0817.jpg (52.9 KB, 64 views)
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
M.S.A.

Last edited by ToddMeister : 04-09-2018 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:09 AM   #22
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

Here is some more eye candy:

First 3 pics are at the "Deere Feed" trail intersection

Pic1 is West Burma Grade

Pic2 is Burma Grade looking east

Pic 3 is looking south towards Worth Road

The TASA trail from Cut River around to Rexton was in great shape as well. Pic 4 is at the Rexton/Newberry Trail Intersection where the Bra tree is located.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0821.jpg (17.4 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0828.jpg (21.9 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0829.jpg (20.7 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0832.jpg (46.2 KB, 63 views)
M.S.A.

Last edited by ToddMeister : 04-09-2018 at 08:12 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:13 AM   #23
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

Took a ride to Rock Rapids for the last few shots.

A great day of riding in da eastern U.P.

Adios till next season!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0836.jpg (66.0 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0842.jpg (61.4 KB, 65 views)
M.S.A.

Last edited by ToddMeister : 04-09-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 08:57 AM   #24
Snow VP
Administrator

Sweet shots for sure - great job!
Looking at teh temps I was getting nervous on Thursday afternoon, but looked and sounded like it was a worthwhile trip and a great ride for all!
Old 04-09-2018, 08:59 AM   #25
Wink
Trail Master

Probably should have come UP. 800 mile round trip pulling a trailer to ride 150 - 180 miles just didn't sound fun. Especially when I drive 200 - 300 mile in a truck every day of the week. Maybe next year will be more "normal".

Closed Thread