Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Old 04-16-2018, 09:18 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 4-16-18

Yes it is mid-April and I am posting a trail condition report!

Most of the big storm went South of us.
Maybe 2" of sugar yesterday.
Maybe 2" of regular snow last night along with some more icing.

Forecast is for another 4" of decent snow through the daytime today.

I would expect that trails are rideable this morning and will only get better after today. The big thing to think about right now is that we had a ton of winds over the weekend and if the tree branches in my yard tell me anything, there will definitely be trees down out there on the trail system. Ride all that pow with caution, and have a great time. Prob some more snow Tuesday. Once forecast said a small system on Wednesday too, although temps are supposed to be in the 40s, so that doesn't make much sense.

As of right now, if you have the itch, I would say get another ride in!

Quote:
Today: Snow showers. High near 33. North wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of around 4 inches.

Tonight: Snow showers likely, mainly before 2am. Cloudy, with a low around 27. Northwest wind around 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.

Tuesday: A 30 percent chance of snow showers, mainly before 11am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 36. Northwest wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph.

Tuesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 27. Northwest wind around 10 mph.

Wednesday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 40. North wind 5 to 10 mph becoming east in the afternoon.

Wednesday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31.

Thursday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 42.

Thursday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 26.

Friday: Sunny, with a high near 44.

Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 27.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 45.

Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 31.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 47.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:22 PM   #2
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Re: Trail Conditions 4-16-18

Unconfirmed reports that the sugar snow was 8" deep in Epoufette, and it tapered off by the time you got to Trout Lake.

It has snowed all day today, and we have gotten at least 3" of good density snow. We now have more snow on the RR Grade then any time this season. There was around 6" of snow in Moran a few days ago, well add 12" to that total. There is a foot of fresh in Trout Lake too. Iggy has 6" of fresh, and yes you can ride out of town. In fact, (if trails are open North of here) you should be able to easily ride to Superior.

Again, all of our trails are open to ride, so respect private property, and enjoy.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:49 PM   #3
Schuie
Trail Master

Had a great ride out of seney today (trailered over, don't know if you can get there by trail). When I left the house in trout lake this morning at 8 the driveway was plowed, when I returned at 3 there was at least 8" of fresh. Definitely some great riding out there. I'll use the term pow loosely as the show was a weird consistency, not light, not sugar, but not heavy system snow either. It's white and will cool your sliders and heat exchanger, can't ask for anything more in April. That's all I can add.
Schuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 08:58 AM   #4
Snow VP
Administrator

That stuff must have moved South, because last nights predicted 1" of snow turned into a fresh 5" of system powder in Iggy.

This is absolutely perfect...... February weather. There is more snow on the ground right now than anytime in the last year.

If you have the means, then definitely call in sick. Cause there is sick conditions out there!

If you ride, especially breaking trail, then watch for downed trees, I have zero reports from on the trail right now, but will have some by the end of the day.

10 days ago we laid a perfect trail base out there, and this is likely epic riding right now. FWIW, if we had this snow 2 months ago we could have laid perfect trails for the whole season. Ah well, it is April 17th, and it looks like February.

Forecast it still calling for a warmup starting tomorrow. only touching 40 for the next several days, so trails will settle down into drift-bumps, and should last through the weekend.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:36 AM   #5
newm316
Liquid Cooled

Any chance of a TEST GROOM trying to talk the wife into 1 more (3rd) last ride of the year.
SnomadS member, Thumbsupsnowmobile member and Les Cheneaux Snowmobile member
Ride Hard Ride Smart and Ride Safe
newm316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:06 PM   #6
no1 pro
Trail Master

I would guess there will be no grooming. I am going up tomorrow morning and riding Wed. and Thursday. I have rode the Iggy trails for many years and am thinking they will be pretty good for 2 or 3 days. I would not wait as when the sun starts poking out it will go fast. Sure to have fun if you do go
no1 pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:29 PM   #7
Snow VP
Administrator

No more grooming. The boys are done for the season.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:10 PM   #8
slowmobile
I'm New Here

I rode out of Saint Ignace today, looped north of Rexton to Newberry McD's for lunch, then back via Rexton and the Epoufette route. Plenty of snow, only a few small trees blocking parts of the trail, and 4x4 ruts on the RR grade and Castle Rock Road, plus an afternoon driver on Brevort Camp Road and the pole line. The trucks exposed some slush holes, but there was still plenty of room to get by. Roads mostly melted clear by afternoon, but the running in the woods was great! Winds were covering the tracks in open areas, I got off the trail a few times in cut-over areas, had to find my way back on track.

Don't know how long it will hold up, but I had great fun for so late in the season!
slowmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:29 AM   #9
Snow VP
Administrator

Awoke to 30d today, on the way to 40. Melting will commence shortly, and the bridge is already closed for falling ice. I suspect the snow will settle a decent amount today. For reference my yard was bare before this started, and yesterday morning the fire hydrant was completely covered. I can now see about 6" of it. Woods trails should hold through this weekend for some fun, with morning crunchy snow and then mashed potatoes in late afternoon.
Enjoy.
Old 04-18-2018, 08:50 PM   #10
Wink
Trail Master

Really wish I could have made it UP for an epic April ride but I just couldn’t make it work. Hopefully next season will be “Snowier” and things will go a little smoother for me.

Thanks again to Neil and all the groomer drivers for all the hard work you put in to make our trails the best in the state.

"Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do!"

Wink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:07 AM   #11
Snow VP
Administrator

Another 30d wakeup, but it is going to be a bit warmer today, and more tomorrow. Bridge closed twice yesterday for falling ice, and I am guessing that it is all gone now so that should not be an issue.
Trails should be fine for the next couple days, still plenty of snow on the grass and yards. What we had was settled down about half. Of course it is very crunchy in the morning and mashed potatoes in teh afternoon. Ruts will very likely be an issue too as everyone is enjoying the snow adventure and riding/driving wherever they can.

They are talking 50s by mid next week! Yahoo! time for spring!
Old 04-19-2018, 04:07 PM   #12
Snow VP
Administrator

Jeep the Mac is going on Tomorrow (Friday)
If you are in the area, we ask that you DO NOT park anywhere around the ice rink. We are trying to figure out where to put 700+ Jeeps tomorrow.
You can park along Cheeseman road, or if you have 4x4 behind the cement plant or animal shelter. Lant road, or Moran are also options.

Thank you.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:07 PM   #13
Snow VP
Administrator

Friday is a warm day for sure, 50d out here with melting everywhere. Woods are OK, tracks are going fast. Trails out of town may have to be shared with Jeep the Mac this weekend, as I just helped park 780 Jeeps for the bridge crossing.