Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 11:28 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 1-21-19

C O L D ! ! ! ! !
That is the only word you need to know out there right now. We are barely going to be in positive temps again today, but should get a little reprieve tomorrow.
I will give a just a quick update, cause things will be changing again soon - for the better. Trails are all in pretty decent shape. We had an unexpected canceled groomer run on Saturday night - Bobby was heading out when the pipes froze on his house and business. Gotta take care of home first, so Brevort to Trout wasn't done like normal. From the reports I had it was no big deal though - as I talked to a few riders who said aside from a new stutter bumps everything was flat. Armed with that info, and the -20d temps, I cancelled sundays runs as well. Not enough traffic and just too cold to justify it. If something breaks on the groomers we don't have alot of time to retrieve the drivers, and it is very hard on the equipment.

That said, trail conditions are still really good out there. The RR grade from Iggy to Moran is getting pretty thin on snow, but covered with ice. Not the softest trail to ride, but doable. There is now some ice in the tighter corners on our system as well. Remember we are pretty much running on that one 8-12in snowstorm with a couple of 2in touch up here and there - so we are doing pretty good.

Trail #473: I have been getting some messages about this trail. Please be aware that we do not groom from Epoufette North/West to Rexton, nor Easterly from Rexton to Trout Lake. This is a TASA trail and I do not know their grooming schedule. We do groom Trail #2, Southeasterly from Rexton towards Brevort into the core of our system, known as the Caffey Trail.

Forecast is looking good for this week. We are going to groom everything perfect flat for the snowstorm that is running on on Tuesday-Wednesday. Predicting a widespread 5in, which should fix things up about perfect. Temps will moderate as well which will allow it to stick down to the base. The guys are already planning on the pre and post storm grooms for maximum trail perfection. There is also more snow in the late-week forecast. It is too far out to see how much yet, but every bit helps. Temps this coming weekend will be on the chilly side again, but not brutal cold this time. Plan on an extra layer and you should be all fine.

ICE: Less than a month to pond hockey. The bay from Friday night, and all the way across yesterday. The Freight boat stopped on Friday, and passenger ferry stopped Sunday, so the ice should be locked in to do its thing. Cold temps should help out, and there is a chance it will be on the bay this year.

After an illness, and a hibernation for a few days I ventured to the store yesterday. I stopped and got some trail condy for your consumption. Enjoy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190121_083901-sm.jpg (163.9 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg 20190120_163616-sm.jpg (260.1 KB, 136 views)
File Type: jpg 20190120_163605-sm.jpg (238.6 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg 20190120_163257-sm.jpg (227.7 KB, 137 views)
Old 01-21-2019, 02:24 PM   #2
JRiggs
Junior Rider

Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-21-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow VP View Post
C O L D ! ! ! ! !
That is the only word you need to know out there right now. We are barely going to be in positive temps again today, but should get a little reprieve tomorrow.
I will give a just a quick update, cause things will be changing again soon - for the better. Trails are all in pretty decent shape. We had an unexpected canceled groomer run on Saturday night - Bobby was heading out when the pipes froze on his house and business. Gotta take care of home first, so Brevort to Trout wasn't done like normal. From the reports I had it was no big deal though - as I talked to a few riders who said aside from a new stutter bumps everything was flat. Armed with that info, and the -20d temps, I cancelled sundays runs as well. Not enough traffic and just too cold to justify it. If something breaks on the groomers we don't have alot of time to retrieve the drivers, and it is very hard on the equipment.

That said, trail conditions are still really good out there. The RR grade from Iggy to Moran is getting pretty thin on snow, but covered with ice. Not the softest trail to ride, but doable. There is now some ice in the tighter corners on our system as well. Remember we are pretty much running on that one 8-12in snowstorm with a couple of 2in touch up here and there - so we are doing pretty good.

Trail #473: I have been getting some messages about this trail. Please be aware that we do not groom from Epoufette North/West to Rexton, nor Easterly from Rexton to Trout Lake. This is a TASA trail and I do not know their grooming schedule. We do groom Trail #2, Southeasterly from Rexton towards Brevort into the core of our system, known as the Caffey Trail.

Forecast is looking good for this week. We are going to groom everything perfect flat for the snowstorm that is running on on Tuesday-Wednesday. Predicting a widespread 5in, which should fix things up about perfect. Temps will moderate as well which will allow it to stick down to the base. The guys are already planning on the pre and post storm grooms for maximum trail perfection. There is also more snow in the late-week forecast. It is too far out to see how much yet, but every bit helps. Temps this coming weekend will be on the chilly side again, but not brutal cold this time. Plan on an extra layer and you should be all fine.

ICE: Less than a month to pond hockey. The bay from Friday night, and all the way across yesterday. The Freight boat stopped on Friday, and passenger ferry stopped Sunday, so the ice should be locked in to do its thing. Cold temps should help out, and there is a chance it will be on the bay this year.

After an illness, and a hibernation for a few days I ventured to the store yesterday. I stopped and got some trail condy for your consumption. Enjoy.
Sounds Great! We will be riding Thursday morning.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:26 PM   #3
906UP
Liquid Cooled

Damn cold!!!! I had -27 Sun morning with an afternoon high temp of 1, it was -23 this morning when I left Rex at 5am.
Old 01-21-2019, 03:46 PM   #4
Wink
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 906UP View Post
Damn cold!!!! I had -27 Sun morning with an afternoon high temp of 1, it was -23 this morning when I left Rex at 5am.

Were those actual temps!

Member:
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
MSA

Old 01-21-2019, 03:53 PM   #5
Snow VP
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wink View Post
Were those actual temps!
Yes. I had -12 here in Iggy. Wayne unofficially had -26d in his truck leaving Epoufette yesterday.
Thankfully after Friday there was very little wind this weekend.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:13 PM   #6
906UP
Liquid Cooled

Quote:
Were those actual temps!
Yes, not windchill numbers. Taken from my $10 electronic thermometer, verified by the $3 plastic dial thermometer......that's as official as it gets in Rexton
Old 01-21-2019, 07:06 PM   #7
Wink
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 906UP View Post
Yes, not windchill numbers. Taken from my $10 electronic thermometer, verified by the $3 plastic dial thermometer......that's as official as it gets in Rexton

LOL!!!

Member:
MSA

Old 01-21-2019, 08:03 PM   #8
lowersnowgoer
Trail Master

We had the same as 906 in rexton Sun am..BURRR.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:05 PM   #9
lowersnowgoer
Trail Master

PS ...lol..Don't think we were using the same high tech measuring devices
Old 01-21-2019, 08:19 PM   #10
PolarisRider
Trail Master

For camp in Rudyard, made the mistake of buying one of those fancy electronic gizmos with wind direction, speed, wind chill before looking at specs. It doesn't read below -5F you get LL for low limit. We laugh it off and say if you wake up and see LL it means Leave Later. Have a backup that I have seen -30F once or twice.
- 05 600 Switchback (12,500 miles and still strong)
- 05 600 Sabercat LX
- 06 600 Crossfire SnoPro
Member:
- M.S.A. - Straits Area Snowmobile Club
- Chippewa Snow Chasers - Soo Snowmobile Club - TASA
Old 01-22-2019, 09:03 AM   #11
Snow VP
Administrator

Red sky in the morning - sailors take warning.

Not too sure about sailors, as it is froze all the way to the island now, but the very light snow has started already ahead of the storm. It is now going to sprinkle us before noon, and start with the main body this evening. The forecast has lengthened the event, and upped our totals just a little, with a bit more focus about 50 miles South. Now talking 5-8in by Wednesday night when all said and done.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:33 AM   #12
conniver04
Seller of Cars, Caffey Trail Lover.

Sounds great. I will be up on Thursday.

16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
2020 Renegade XRS 900T
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:10 PM   #13
snopro7c
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by conniver04 View Post
Sounds great. I will be up on Thursday.
Same thing my brotha! Hope they get that extra snow Wednesday. Would make things extra goooooooood

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!!!!!!
Old 01-22-2019, 02:32 PM   #14
conniver04

Quote:
Originally Posted by snopro7c View Post
Same thing my brotha! Hope they get that extra snow Wednesday. Would make things extra goooooooood
Perfect. More snow maybe we can make Drummond Island again...NOT!!!

Were gonna have a great ride this weekend.

16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
2020 Renegade XRS 900T
M.S.A.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:00 PM   #15
Snow VP
Administrator

Quote:
Perfect. More snow maybe we can make Drummond Island again...NOT!!!

Were gonna have a great ride this weekend.
Kenny, do you ever learn?

Quote:
Re: Trail Conditions 1-20-06
Well we went out today and rode to cut river in the morning and it was great. We made the mistake of not listening to Neil and headed east to hesell and that was not good. What ever you do do not go east. Lots of mud holes and unfrozen swamps. The straits trails were awesome!!! Well will give a new report tomorrow.
I find is very funny that I was looking up something and came across this post from 2006.
Old 01-22-2019, 03:03 PM   #16
Snow VP
Administrator

They have upped our totals just a little again! YES!

Had my blinds drawn for and nose in the keyboard, and took a phone call while looking outside. BLIZZARD!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MacBridge_image2_large.jpg (31.9 KB, 105 views)
Old 01-22-2019, 05:38 PM   #17
Snow VP
Administrator

Um, we have 5in down now.
NOAA calling for 5-7 more before Wednesday at 7pm!
Old 01-22-2019, 11:32 PM   #18
skidoodude04
Trail Master

Of course it snows and Iím headed to the beach Friday for my one off weekend of the Winter lol. Everyone enjoy! I will be up Next Wednesday! Hoping for some nice cold weather! Colder the better! That -25 kept the trails light on traffic. It was great!!!
Old 01-23-2019, 07:11 AM   #19
Wink
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidoodude04 View Post
Of course it snows and Iím headed to the beach Friday for my one off weekend of the Winter lol. Everyone enjoy! I will be up Next Wednesday! Hoping for some nice cold weather! Colder the better! That -25 kept the trails light on traffic. It was great!!!

Too bad, this is the weekend I was going to do back to back 500 milers!

Member:
MSA

Old 01-23-2019, 09:05 AM   #20
Snow VP
Administrator

Several checks around my house shows 7-8in just from yesterday!
I think the snow came in a bit dryer then they were thinking, as it is pretty sugary which may account for the higher totals.
News this morning Naubinway won the day with 11in. Sounds like the EUP got a good shot in the arm for a change.

There is enough out there I am actually starting to get concerned about packing it down. Kinda need warm temps for a day to get it done. It is going to take a couple passes for sure. Groomers are running this afternoon and evening to get on it!

Here is the amazing thing.. it is already snow again, NOAA says we are going to get an additional 4-6 today of slightly wet stuff. I can guarantee the trails will be good this weekend.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:27 PM   #21
gambeler1
Fan Cooled

"pre and post storm grooms for maximum trail perfection."
If I didn't know better I would say that almost sounds like bragging. BUT I have been on those PREFECT trails so many times I am a believer.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:07 PM   #22
conniver04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow VP View Post
Kenny, do you ever learn?

I find is very funny that I was looking up something and came across this post from 2006.
Some things never change. A few guys in the group had never went over that way and i figured with over a foot of snow that just fell maybe just maybe we would be safe and the clubs out that way would have got out and worked it in. i was wrong! lol

16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
2020 Renegade XRS 900T
M.S.A.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:08 PM   #23
conniver04

Quote:
Too bad, this is the weekend I was going to do back to back 500 milers!

So were good staying out till midnight again this week? Told ya he liked it snopro7c

16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
2020 Renegade XRS 900T
M.S.A.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:53 PM   #24
dlm69
I'm New Here

I an new member but each time I plan a trip to UP i ride out of Iggy and appreciate all the accurate reports of the trail conditions.

I want to come up this Friday and backpack towards Newberry so I can visit the falls with family. I was wondering where I can park my trailer from Friday to Sunday afternoon?

I always notice trailers parked at the Little Bear Ice Arena when i stay at Budget Host. Do they allow trailer to park there overnight? I dont want to leave it there if it is not allowed. Does anyone know the protocol for parking there?

Think Snow!
Old 01-23-2019, 06:41 PM   #25
ToddMeister
Guest Groomer & THE Bay City Roller

Thumbs up Re: Trail Conditions 1-21-19

Yes you can park your rig in the South Little Bear lot to take your sled trip. I am not aware of any restrictions for parking there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm69 View Post
I an new member but each time I plan a trip to UP i ride out of Iggy and appreciate all the accurate reports of the trail conditions.

I want to come up this Friday and backpack towards Newberry so I can visit the falls with family. I was wondering where I can park my trailer from Friday to Sunday afternoon?

I always notice trailers parked at the Little Bear Ice Arena when i stay at Budget Host. Do they allow trailer to park there overnight? I dont want to leave it there if it is not allowed. Does anyone know the protocol for parking there?

Think Snow!
Presque Isle Sno-Trails
MISORVA
Closed Thread