Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 3-15-18

So here we go. Half way through March, and things are ripe to be fantastic and we are saddled with the continued lack of snow.

So if you have been through teh previous posts by me and others, you will find that things out there are marginal. It kills me to say we have a absolute perfect and fantastic base and basically nothing on top of it. There has been a couple of inches here and there, but not a ton. It will not tolerate a ton of traffic until it is all ice, however everything North of Moran is currently rideable, with early season conditions prevailing. If we were just to get that magic 4" storm, it would go from poor to excellent overnight with one groom. However, all I can say is what we have, The forecast looks good to preserve the base, but nothing new of consequence to get things back into good shape. We are basically running on snow that is a month old at this point and need the fresh to get thing fixed.

Forecast:
Quote:
Today: Scattered snow showers, mainly before noon. Partly sunny, with a temperature falling to around 23 by noon. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Tonight: Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly clear, with a low around 13. Northwest wind 10 to 15 mph.

Friday: Sunny, with a high near 30. Northwest wind 5 to 10 mph.

Friday Night: Clear, with a low around 18. West wind 5 to 10 mph.

Saturday: Sunny, with a high near 34. Northwest wind around 5 mph.

Saturday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 21.

Sunday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 36.

Sunday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 20.

Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 31.

Monday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 18.
I was out working yesterday and was able to snap a couple of quick pics. they are of the RR Grade first at Cheeseman Road, and then in Moran. You can see that it wants to be OK, but there is gravel poking through. That is why the grade South of Moran has been bad most of the season, just too thin and we keep losing it. I am tossing in a pic from Toddmeister showing what the center of the system looked like over the weekend. Pretty decent considering.

Ma Nature just needs to send one of them Nor'easters our way for a change. Looking back, we have not really had even one decent snowstorm in the straits all season. Can we get one before the end of the month? Long term forecast isn't showing one soon, so it would have to be right at the end. March came in like a lamb, so should go out like a lion right? Here is hoping cause teh March riding would be fantastic right now if we had that magic 4".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180313_161725.jpg (71.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg 20180313_190751.jpg (88.7 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg 20180313_191128.jpg (34.7 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0800.jpg (60.5 KB, 66 views)
Old 03-16-2018, 10:31 AM   #2
indootime
Trail Master

Default Re: Trail Conditions 3-15-18

Thanks for the update Neil! I used to be able to post pics from my iPhone, now I cannot. Any reason why?

I had some great trail pics

Pat
Old 03-16-2018, 12:53 PM   #3
Snow VP
Administrator

I know of no reason, first I have heard about iphone issues. Only thing I can think of is they may be too large. Newer camera take much larger pics then they used to and I have not adjusted this old software to accommodate it to keep it running fast. After an upgrade later this year I hope it will automatically resize pics for us.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:04 PM   #4
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

Arrow Re: Trail Conditions 3-15-18

Yeah I think they are too big, Pat. My pics are taken off my iphone and then resized to 640 x 480 before posting to the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indootime View Post
Thanks for the update Neil! I used to be able to post pics from my iPhone, now I cannot. Any reason why?

I had some great trail pics

Pat
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
M.S.A.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:06 PM   #5
indootime
Trail Master

Weird....use to work.
Closed Thread