Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Club News Check out what is going on in the Straits Club

Old 02-08-2008, 03:58 PM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Bent Ski Classic - (Poker Run)

The Bent Ski Classic
Snowmobile Family Adventure Race

Travel the area, perform tasks, and solve clues, and vie to win over $450 in cash, plus even more prizes!

The Bent Ski Classic returns to the Straits Area, with a historic name, and whole new format! No not a timed race, but an enhanced version of the common poker run format, where skill, cunning, dexterity and smarts will triumph over the common playing card.

Participants will begin with signup in St. Ignace and proceed to many area businesses throughout the Straits Area Snowmobile Club’s 101 miles of trail system, ranging from St. Ignace, to TroutLake, Rexton, Brevort and Epoufette (CutRiver). Once arriving at some locations, the participant will be required to complete a simple task before they are given a stamp proving they have visited the location, or performed the required task. At the conclusion of the race, participants will draw cards and make their best poker hand, according to the number of stamps they have been able to acquire. The best poker hand will be awarded $200 CASH! Even more CASH and PRIZES to choose from for 2nd place on down. Maybe you can even win the elusive Mystery Hand!

In addition upon signup, participants will be given a sealed package. Inside the package you will find hints to secret locations throughout the trail system. Once the participant solves the clue and finds the hidden location somewhere in the Straits region, he will obtain a piece of a larger puzzle. Obtaining all of the pieces of the puzzle, and solving the final riddle will unlock an entry into a special drawing for another $100 CASH prize!

Still not enough? There is yet another eggciting drawing to participate in! It will require dexterity, skill and the hand of a feather to complete this task successfully. If you manage to hold things together, you can be entered into another great drawing for a Hot Tub Room at the Super 8, and delicious meal too.

Huge fun for the whole family, and not just another boarding poker run.
Make your reservations today to visit some of the best trails in the State of Michigan!
Hope to see you there!
Old 02-09-2008, 02:48 AM   #2
conniver04
Trail Master

Default Re: Bent Ski Classic - (Poker Run)

I can't wait. The straits club is on the cutting edge of poker run technology once again. Gotta love this club. Were gonna have a big group for this ride. Anyone that needs someone to ride this with post up and we'll hook up.

Nice meeting you tonight Catgirl428(Stan and Karen). You guys are more than welcome next weekend! Hope to ride with ya soon (even if you ride ditch pickles)

16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
conniver04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 04:38 AM   #3
skidoodude04
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by conniver04 View Post
I can't wait. The straits club is on the cutting edge of poker run technology once again. Gotta love this club. Were gonna have a big group for this ride. Anyone that needs someone to ride this with post up and we'll hook up.

Nice meeting you tonight Catgirl428(Stan and Karen). You guys are more than welcome next weekend! Hope to ride with ya soon (even if you ride ditch pickles)
HA DITCH PICKLES wonder where ya got that one from?
skidoodude04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:16 AM   #4
Snow VP
Administrator

End location for this run is St. Ignace VFW between 6 & 7:45
Registration is $15 ($10 kids ) and includes a spaghetti dinner.

Hope you can make it.

Last edited by Snow VP : 02-11-2008 at 08:40 PM.
Snow VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:18 PM   #5
catgirl428
Liquid Cooled

DITCH PICKLE??????NEVER HEARD THAT ONE BEFORE.....
WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO THE BENT SKI CLASSIC AS WELL AS MEETING OTHER CLUB MEMBERS. HEY CONNIVER04 ARE THE FIREWORKS OUT AND SPAGHETTI DINNER IN?? P.S. GLAD EVERYONE MADE IT HOME SAFE. IT WAS GREAT TO MEET YOU AND TODDMEISTER, TONY AND JERRY AS WELL.
catgirl428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:22 PM   #6
conniver04
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgirl428 View Post
DITCH PICKLE??????NEVER HEARD THAT ONE BEFORE.....
WE ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO THE BENT SKI CLASSIC AS WELL AS MEETING OTHER CLUB MEMBERS. HEY CONNIVER04 ARE THE FIREWORKS OUT AND SPAGHETTI DINNER IN?? P.S. GLAD EVERYONE MADE IT HOME SAFE. IT WAS GREAT TO MEET YOU AND TODDMEISTER, TONY AND JERRY AS WELL.

The fireworks start at 6:30. might have to watch for a few and then head to the dinner and prize give away. TOO many things going on next weekend!

We'll have to see how the day plays out. Glad you guys made it home safe. What a ride. Oh by the way thanks for the drinks cheater. From now on the new Must be present to win

16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
M.S.A.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:42 PM   #7
catgirl428
Liquid Cooled

EVEN THOUGH I WAS NOT PRESENT TO WIN......I SOMEHOW MANAGED TO SPEND A GOOD CHUNK YESTERDAY AT THE BOTTOM.
SEE YA ON THE TRAIL.........STAN.
catgirl428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:56 PM   #8
conniver04
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by catgirl428 View Post
EVEN THOUGH I WAS NOT PRESENT TO WIN......I SOMEHOW MANAGED TO SPEND A GOOD CHUNK YESTERDAY AT THE BOTTOM.
SEE YA ON THE TRAIL.........STAN.
Boy do I know that feeling Thanks again. Had a great time. See ya this weekend.

16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
M.S.A.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:07 AM   #9
conniver04
Trail Master

WOW what a great time! The trails were absolutly beautiful. The poker run adventure was a awesome time and a great idea. What a blast.had a blast

To everyone in our group (All 17 of you) I had a blast. That was the biggest group I have ever rode in and had a blast. Thanks for the good times. Hopefully we can get together and do it again.

16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
M.S.A.

Last edited by conniver04 : 02-17-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:35 AM   #10
conniver04
Trail Master

Here are a few pics from the run. My camera went dead and I couldn't get more pics. The first one is Hunter hanging out at the Deere feed stop on m y sled. The 2nd one is Todd and Linda having a dog with Jimmy D at the Deere feed trail stop.

16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
M.S.A.

Last edited by conniver04 : 05-18-2008 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:20 PM   #11
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

Here are a few more pics,

First one is getting the group together at Kenny's.

Next two are at the Deere Feed Stop.

Good times with good friends, that's the ticket.

Thanks again to the Straits Club for putting on this event.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0926.jpg (280.9 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0929.jpg (278.4 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0931.jpg (273.7 KB, 98 views)
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
M.S.A.
ToddMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:29 PM   #12
polaris4me
Trail Master

What a great time we had this week and this weekend. Good friends,good trails and a great dinner after the poker run.
We want to thank Jimmy D & his wife for donating the jacuzzi suite and Timmy Lee's for dinner for two. These are two great gifts and we can't wait to get back up here to use them.

M.S.A.
Support the people that support this sport !
polaris4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:09 PM   #13
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Bent Ski Classic - Wrapup

50 snowmobilers participated in the Bent Ski Classic on Saturday, February 16, 2008. In this revised poker run format, participants traveled to businesses across local trails collecting stamps and performing tasks. Stamps were then redeemed for playing cards at the final destination of the St. Ignace VFW, where riders enjoyed a spaghetti dinner and prizes were awarded. First prize of $200 was awarded to Mike Maddux of London, Ohio, who drew a natural Royal Flush. In second place, winning $100, was Donna Westhouse of Grand Rapids, Michigan with a King High Straight Flush. All participants were able to receive a prize thanks to donations from local businesses and the club itself.
After an informal survey, the business with the most popular “task” was B & L Café, which had riders either Hula Hoop, or sing and perform the song, Stop In the Name of Love.
In addition to the poker run, there was also a clue hunt. Three clues were hidden in various locations on the trails. Once riders found the three clues, they solved a final puzzle and were entered into a drawing for a $100 cash prize. Matt Hall of Newport, Michigan was the winner drawn from several correct entries.
Finally, each participant was given an egg in a Ziploc bag at the event sign in. They could get their egg stamped at one of two locations on the run. If the egg came back stamped and still in once piece, they were entered in a drawing for a free night Jacuzzi room stay at the St. Ignace Super 8 and dinner for two at Timmy Lee’s Pub. Thanks to smooth trails and good riding conditions, all but 2 eggs came back unbroken. Winner Kevin Gnagey, of Pigeon, Michigan, and his fiancé Kathy, were particularly happy to win this prize. One year ago, they were engaged on the Straits Area Snowmobile Trails and plan to get married this May. Frequent visitors to the Upper Peninsula, the hotel room and dinner will be a part of their honeymoon vacation.
The Snowmobile Club also hosted their “Deere Feed” trail stop, named after the clubs two John Deere groomers. The club offered free hot dogs, coffee and hot chocolate, as well as an opportunity for snowmobilers to socialize and learn more about the activities of the Straits Area Club.
The next Poker Run will be held March 8, 2008. For more information, please visit www.straitsareasnowmobileclub.com.

Pic #1 VP, Neil Hill and Mike Maddux
Pic #2 VP Neil Hill and Donna Westhouse
Pic #3 Pres Jimmy DeKeyser and Matt Hall
Pic #4 Kevin Gnagey and Pres. Jimmy DeKeyser
Attached Images
File Type: jpg N HIll and M Maddox.jpg (198.1 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg N Hill and D Westhouse.jpg (185.4 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg J DeKeyser and Matt Hall.jpg (202.6 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg K Gnagey and J DeKeyser.jpg (198.4 KB, 81 views)
Old 02-18-2008, 04:14 PM   #14
jeffry123
Fan Cooled

Agreed the Straits area club is a class act! I had a great time at the run & dinner. Neil, you're a natural with the microphone, wish I could say the same about the 4 tracker but I promised I wouldn't tell...... I loved all the extra tasks, & the egg until you threw in the garbage after I gave it such loving care all day Kenny, nice to meet you, sorry we didn't get to talk much. We had planned to stop at the Rock but as that was our third day of riding & after that huge dinner the couch at the cabin was calling! Already looking forward to the March run, I beleive it to be the 8th.
jeffry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:53 PM   #15
Snow VP
Administrator

Oh my, I almost forgot! I have to give a big thank you CatGirl for rescuing me from the Rock Rapids snow expanse. I humbly broke down setting up Clue #2, and after a 3 mile walk, CatGirl was wonderful enough to give me a ride back to the deere feed stop. Thanks again!!

And yes it was a true sight to see as 2 cats hooked up to the 4 track to tow me out of there. Sometimes you gotta improvise to achieve your goal!

Last edited by Snow VP : 02-18-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Snow VP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:02 PM   #16
polaris4me
Trail Master

We arrived home today. I-75 was one clear lane and one snow covered till Gaylord.
After 9 days of riding, total of 1050 miles. I would say 90% of the miles were on the Straits trails, as well as some off trail riding.
A BIG THANK YOU goes out to all the groomer drivers. You guys do a great job and thats why we keep coming back.

See you in March.

M.S.A.
Support the people that support this sport !
polaris4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 06:03 PM   #17
polaris4me2
Fan Cooled

Had a TERRIFIC time on the BENT SKI CLASSIC run!! Everyone did a phenominal job getting everything organized...MUCH thanks to all the groomers who kept the trails groomed for the 9 days we rode them . Can't wait for the next poker run in March!! Keep up the GREAT work everybody...It is by far the best club I have ever been part of !!
Old 02-24-2008, 11:59 PM   #18
Griz
Trail Master

This is a little late but since we didn't get back from the saddlebag trip till Fri 2-22 and then back home tonite it will just have to do. As always a good time was had by all, the trails were great and the games were fun. The big group of riders even worked out great. Sorry you had the problem Gunner. What great friends to ride with. Was in full grin mode most of the weekend , Thanks to the Club for putting this together.

2012 F 1100

Member: Straits Area Snowmobile Club
MSA
Griz is offline   Reply With Quote