Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 2-04-10

Well, sorry to sound like a broken record, but more of the same around here. Things are very thin, with a few bad areas, but perfectly ridable. All of our trails have a super good ice base on them, and at least an inch of cooling snow on them. As you get about 4 miles North of Iggy, it gets better on the Western loop, and stays the same going North on the RR Grade until North of Moran. I just talked to a group of firefighters from Ohio that rode to Cut River last night, and aside from the couple of bad spots on the RR Grade, and the 1 mile section of the pipeline on #473 like I have been reporting, they enjoyed their ride, and found some good snow. (I hope you enjoy your ride to the falls today folks!)

One good thing about the trails being this thin, is that there is not enough snow to make bumps. Things are smooth and fast. We are running the groomers every couple of days as we cycle new people in the rotation. I will continue with the partial schedule until the snow pics up. Speaking of, next system snow may be on Monday-Tuesday time frame.

The water has opened back up to Mackinac Island. Ice bridge is looking like a more distant possibility this year. I will know what is going on for pond hockey later this evening if anyone is interested.

A have a bunch of pics for ya. All of these pics are taken between Iggy and Moran, this morning. It shows how the RR Grade mostly is looking good, with a couple of rocks poking through here and there. But it also shows the worst spot on the grade from Moran to Cast Rock Rd (#473) intersection. You can see there is a few hundred feet of mostly bare ground out in the open trail section. You have a couple of there areas between 473 & Moran, after that it is clear sailing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3021.JPG (139.5 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3022.JPG (145.2 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3023.JPG (159.5 KB, 160 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3024.JPG (135.4 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3025.JPG (136.8 KB, 159 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3026.JPG (131.3 KB, 158 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3027.JPG (136.4 KB, 157 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3028.JPG (136.3 KB, 156 views)
Old 02-04-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
sichamber
I'm New Here

Default Re: Trail Conditions 2-04-10

Great pics, Neil! Even though I don't snowmobile, I do ride these trails with my bike in the summer. Looks nice in winter, too!
Eileen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow VP View Post
Well, sorry to sound like a broken record, but more of the same around here. Things are very thin, with a few bad areas, but perfectly ridable. All of our trails have a super good ice base on them, and at least an inch of cooling snow on them. As you get about 4 miles North of Iggy, it gets better on the Western loop, and stays the same going North on the RR Grade until North of Moran. I just talked to a group of firefighters from Ohio that rode to Cut River last night, and aside from the couple of bad spots on the RR Grade, and the 1 mile section of the pipeline on #473 like I have been reporting, they enjoyed their ride, and found some good snow. (I hope you enjoy your ride to the falls today folks!)

One good thing about the trails being this thin, is that there is not enough snow to make bumps. Things are smooth and fast. We are running the groomers every couple of days as we cycle new people in the rotation. I will continue with the partial schedule until the snow pics up. Speaking of, next system snow may be on Monday-Tuesday time frame.

The water has opened back up to Mackinac Island. Ice bridge is looking like a more distant possibility this year. I will know what is going on for pond hockey later this evening if anyone is interested.

A have a bunch of pics for ya. All of these pics are taken between Iggy and Moran, this morning. It shows how the RR Grade mostly is looking good, with a couple of rocks poking through here and there. But it also shows the worst spot on the grade from Moran to Cast Rock Rd (#473) intersection. You can see there is a few hundred feet of mostly bare ground out in the open trail section. You have a couple of there areas between 473 & Moran, after that it is clear sailing.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
Snow VP
Administrator

I feel like I am stuck in the movie "Dude, Where's my Snow?"

I just got back from Pond hockey meeting, and it looks like it is just about on, no matter what. We have between 7" & 16" if ice in that area, so I am supposed to lay out 24 rinks next Tuesday or Wednesday. Game-On.

BTW, they are adding another shuttle, and extending hours from noon, to 2:30am to ferry everyone on the pub crawl.
Old 02-05-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
con-fusion
Trail Master

Started snowing here in Ohio about 1 oclock today, wish we could send it up to Iggy, cause it is just making a mess around here. Not enough to ride on but it would do the trails up north wonders, wet and heavy great for packing. Cant post any picks as I do not know how,maybe Wink can handle that.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:29 PM   #5
Wink
Trail Master

Still snowing hard at 8:30. I'll post pics in the morning. Calling for 7 - 10.
My kid still wants to head up to the auction tomorrow to look at sleds. He ain't right. Don't know where he gets that from.
Auction doesn't sound as good as it used to. Changed the fees so that the buyer has to pay all the commission. 10% plus 6% Michigan tax no matter where you are from.

"Do the right thing because it's the right thing to do!"

Old 02-06-2010, 07:16 PM   #6
Snow VP
Administrator

As I understand it, the trails are taking a bit of a beating out there. Things are just wearing out. The cut river & caffey trails are still in good shape, but the others are just wearing out and are icy. I think we will shut the groomers back down after Mondays run, until we get some more snow. Huh, more snow, how about ANY snow.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
srtf1000
Trail Master

I'll be up next weekend. Hopefully you can do the Indian snow dance.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:26 PM   #8
Bill
Trail Master

Neil, this is Billl from Dayton. I was with the group from Ohio this past week. Based on the lack of snow your trails were very good after the pipe line and from Iggy to Moran. The group was very pleased with the ride, we rode 210 miles on Thursday including the Falls. The Wed. night trip for dinner in Cut River was very nice. The group had a great time. There were 6 first timers and I think a few may take up the sport! Keep up the good work and I will also do the snow dance!!
Old 02-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #9
indootime
Trail Master

Well guy's I just rode in to Brevort on Friday from my trip to Copper Harbor (from Brevort) and back and was surprised with the conditions of the trails coming from Newberry (trail 9/2) to Rexton (trail 2/Caffey) to Brevort.

Any of the trails north of M-28 are great! South of that get a little iffy.

Pat
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0249.JPG (62.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0252.JPG (52.7 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0253.JPG (51.6 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0254.JPG (36.2 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0256.JPG (55.0 KB, 72 views)
Old 02-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #10
indootime
Trail Master

And if you go north of M-28 this is what you get.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg me stuck.jpg (45.1 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0222.JPG (45.8 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by indootime : 02-07-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:43 AM   #11
clifton
Trail Master

Was up last weekend and rode out of Moran. Trails were thin but rideable.

Cory
Closed Thread