Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail conditions 12-21-09

First Day of Winter!! and things could be better, we still need more snow.
We have not did a full groom in about a week, as I don't want to start bringing a lot of dirt in the trail. I did take a new driver out on a short training run Saturday, and we groomed Castle Rock road (South part of #471) Things actually looked very good through there with about 10" base, but the RR Grade was much thinner at about 4".

I was surprised to hear a trail was impassable by report of DStein over the weekend. (thank you) Further investigation reveled that it was the loggers out at the trail-stop that did a heavy plow on the Borland Road, which is the Northern 2 miles of #471. The are not supposed to do that, and the good news is that they are supposed to be done this week. And better news is that the loggers along the Carp River TT should be done very early January, so for the first time in a number of years, we should be clear of logging on our trails.

So to update, all of our trails have been initially panned down, but there is not really enough snow out there to do a major groom. The DNR wants us to wait to get some more snow before we do any heavy grooming out there. The good news is this mornings forecast showed that most of our trails are going to get hit today with a few inches, and a x-mas storm is expected too. That should make us perfectly ridable for the week between x-mas and new years. It sill will not be anywhere near perfect, but we should not have any major problems either. I will get a machine out and pull snow back into the plowed roads asap, and get them packed down. They will be good to go for the weekend. I am also going to be sending a groomer up the big loop to Trout Lake, and back to Brevort for its winter berth.

More updates as I get them, and I will promise to get some trail pics in the next few days.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
polaris4me
Trail Master

Default Re: Trail conditions 12-21-09

Hey, good news on the logging being about done.
You beat me to it, about having our Thursday pics fix.

M.S.A.
Support the people that support this sport !

Last edited by polaris4me : 12-22-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:04 PM   #3
conniver04
Trail Master

That will be awesome with no logging from Jan on. I sure hope they stay on schedule.
16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:07 AM   #4
Snow VP
Administrator

UPDATE:
We got about 1"-2" of snow last night. Nothing to write home about, but progress. Next thing to look for is x-mas storm. It needs to track right to get us some help.

Paul ran a groomer on the lower loop last night. He wants to get the Cedarville trail fixed up, as it has seen a lot of truck traffic, and he is worried about the crowning issue from last year. He was also going to pull all the snow back onto the Borland Road, which the loggers plowed, and DStein commented. The plan was to pack at least 2" onto the trail, so it should be decently ridable now.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:12 AM   #5
no1 pro
Trail Master

Thumbs up Re: Trail conditions 12-21-09

Neil

Thank you for the updates on the trails.

And all you do so us snowmachiners have such a nice area to ride.

Pro
Old 12-23-2009, 10:21 AM   #6
Snow VP
Administrator

UPDATE:
Dave took #5 from SI to Trout Lake, and into Brevort for its winter home last night. He said the trails, especially the RR Grade was thin, be in surprisingly good shape (probably from low traffic).

Everything looked good, except the trails around the Huckleberry Rd. The Northern Loggers plowed that trail down too far. He tried to do something with it, but not much to work with when they used a grader to push things way back. The banks are mixed will sand and leaves, so it isn't a good idea to pull all that back onto the trail. I am hopeful that Santa will deliver for this x-mas storm.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:54 PM   #7
Snow VP
Administrator

UPDATE:
Huge x-mas storm, 2009! Nada. We got about 1" of new good wet stuff last night, then the temps went up. It started raining somtime morning/afternoon (I was in Manistique) I am home, and it is still drizzeling. HUGE winds though. I figure we lost a couple of inches at least. The RR Grade took a bad hit, the other trails are barely holding, and actually wil have a great base - provided we get some new snow. We need new snow bad, and I really don't see anyone grooming until we get some more snow.
Closed Thread