Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > General Discussion > Looking for Riders
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Looking for Riders Looking for a Riding Companion? Post Here!

Old 01-08-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
pierrelogic
I'm New Here

Default Jan 23-25 2009

I'm drving up to Grayling MI on the 22nd and want to do just a little riding in the UP while I'm up there the at least one of the following 3 days. From what I gather I can ride from Grayling (long ride I know) up to Mackinaw City and take the sled across the bridge to the trails in Saint Ignace. I won't have a whole lot of time riding from Grayling obviously but meeting someone on the UP side and getting even an hour or so ride in with someone that knows the area would be awesome. I don't want to get to Saint Ignace and get lost having have such a long ride back to Grayling. Never ridden in Michigan before so finding out how late in the day they transport sleds back and forth would be something I need to find out too. Also, do I need to make contact with anyone before I show up? To think about it, where exactly do I need to go on the LP side and can I ride the sled right up to the place where they transport?

Anyone up for a short ride in the UP with me? Coming up alone and flexible for any of those three days. I tentatively plan to make a test run one of the days to Mackinaw City to see how long that takes to ride from Grayling but if someone already knows, that would be awesome.

Thanks!
pierrelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
polaris4me
Trail Master

Default Re: Jan 23-25 2009

Loading sleds for crossing Big Mac. 8am-8pm. $8 a sled $2 a person. Someone here posted the phone # to call, but I can't find it now.
You can ride right to the pick up, I think it's a block left of the trail when you are heading north. They drop you off at the Shell right on US 2, that is right on the trail heading north.

M.S.A.
Support the people that support this sport !
polaris4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

From the Big Mac Bridge Authority FAQ section:

Question:
I would like information on snowmobile crossings. What are the times and days that we can be trailered across? What is the fee? Thank you.

Answer:
The Mackinac Bridge Authority will transport snowmobiles across the structure at a cost of $10 per sled one way, plus $2 for each additional rider. The service is provided daily from 8:00 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. and is offered on an "on call" basis.

The designated loading areas are the Travel Information Center on Nicolet Street in Mackinaw City and on Service Drive immediately north of US-2 in St. Ignace. Please call the Mackinac Bridge Authority at 906-643-7600 to arrange for pick-up. Customers will be required to sign a liability waiver form before utilizing the service.

For those customers preferring to trailer their own snow machines northbound, there is a public parking area in St. Ignace at the St. Ignace Marina located on the I-75 Business Loop. Parking in the City Marina is free.

Hope this helps
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
M.S.A.
ToddMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 04:23 PM   #4
pierrelogic
I'm New Here

Thank very much, this answers the most important question I had. Still looking for someone to ride with once I jump to the UP.
pierrelogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
dnemeth
I'm New Here

Im new to the area as far as snowmobiling goes, this will be my first trip to sled there. We will be in St Ignace, late Jan 24 and 25, 26, 27. Come up for the day and we can ride as Im sure my group wont want to wait. Get me an e-mail address and I will send you contact info if you like.

D
dnemeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:06 PM   #6
Wink
Trail Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierrelogic View Post
Thank very much, this answers the most important question I had. Still looking for someone to ride with once I jump to the UP.
Reynoldsburg!!!! I thought we had a long way to drive. You have to be about 2 hours farther than us. For us it's 430 to the bridge.
Wink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 03:40 PM   #7
Floyd
Trail Master

Now that we have enough of the white stuff to ride around home, it's time to head UP for the weekend (Jan. 30-Feb. 1), seeing how my ride is there. We tallied around 8-10" since yesterday. It's done snowing now, but the winds are picking up to make for an interesting next 24 hours. Griz and I are planning on coming up Friday afternoon. Should be there sometime around 1:00. Just wondering if anybody else was fixin' to head up this weekend? I'm sure that we'll find our way to the usual watering holes
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 09:52 PM   #8
clifton
Trail Master

Unhappy Re: Jan 23-25 2009

Floyd, Robert, Cory and I are staying home this weekend to ride the ditches around here. If you are in the St. Ignace area this week-end stop in at Timmy Lee's and have a burger and a basket of beer fries. I Would rather be riding in St. Ignace this weekend. I have been in the UP every week-end since, 2 weeks before x-mas and my wife says I have to stay home this week-end. Have Fun and be safe. James Clifton
clifton is offline   Reply With Quote