Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2018, 10:59 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 3-30-18

So, hear we are one day away from the official end of the season, and I am going to remind you that March came in like a lamb, so what does that mean? The FIRST freaking snowstorm of the season comes in on the LAST day of the season! Different sites are predicting as little as 3" and as much as 8" for the center of our system, the one I trust is showing 5" in Moran and 7" in Trout Lake area. It is going to happen folks, we are going to have rideable trails on Easter! (Just most people have put their sleds away!)

Trail Conditions? I had the occasion to check some trails yesterday headed to the pre-season ATV meeting (yes ironic) and South of the Burma Grade the RR Grade is shot - ya no surprise there. The trails in teh woods though area mostly still a perfect ice flat highway. Some corners are bare, and where the sun got to the sandy areas it is mostly gone, but there are areas that actually could be ridden right now.

Now you add 6" of fresh wet snow on top? I will call it right now, our trails will be rideable on Easter morning throughout the whole system. The entire South 1/2 of the system will degrade quickly as there is no base left, and frost has been working up, so they may be good for a day or 2, the North 1/2 of the system will be good for several more days after that for sure. The forecast is for cold temps most of next week, and I think you will be able to ride between Brevort Epoufette and Trout Lake after this storm no problem.

Now the big question I get is will we groom. The timing of the storm has me concerned, as we will get alot of snow on Saturday morning, but it will not quit until later in the evening. That puts potential groomer runs into Easter Sunday. Between 1/2 the drivers out of town, and the other 1/2 with family obligations I'm not going to ask anyone to volunteer for a groomer pass this weekend. I will re-evaluate on monday to see if there is any reason to run, and if it will extend the season into the following weekend, I will order a run and get things fixed up for teh following Saturday. A full groomer pass costs about $450 - which if we run after the season will not be reimbursed. I will send them out if it makes sense, but not if it just burns Diesel fuel for no reason.

Can you ride the Straits trails after the seasons? YES! Most of our trails are open year around, so have at it if you want. Snowmobile while the trails are white - and ride the Western trails with ATV the rest of the year.

We are bringing on another 40 miles of official ATV trails this spring and adding them to the official DNR ATV system. Don't be afraid to get out and enjoy!

Forecast for the next week:

Quote:
Winter Storm Watch

Today: Increasing clouds, with a high near 34. West wind 5 to 10 mph.

Tonight: A 40 percent chance of snow before 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 21. Northwest wind around 5 mph becoming northeast after midnight.

Saturday: Snow after 7am, mixing with rain after 2pm. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 35. East wind 10 to 15 mph becoming south in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of around 7 inches.

Saturday Night: Snow before 8pm, then a chance of snow showers after 8pm. Low around 16. Blustery, with a northwest wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 40 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of around an inch possible.

Sunday: A 30 percent chance of snow showers before 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 28. West wind around 15 mph.

Sunday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 18.

Monday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 36.

Monday Night: Snow showers likely, mainly between 8pm and 2am. Cloudy, with a low around 24.

Tuesday: A chance of snow showers before 1pm, then a chance of rain and snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 36.

Tuesday Night: A chance of snow showers before 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 18.

Wednesday: A chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 32.

Wednesday Night: A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 16.

Thursday: A chance of snow showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 33.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:30 PM   #2
indootime
Trail Master

Default Re: Trail Conditions 3-30-18

Thanks Neil! Love to hear about more miles of ATV trails, I ride as much now in the summer as I do the winter, in fact we are adding additional machines to the family atv fleet!

Looking forward to a great season of ATV riding and thank you for a great snowmobile season.

Pat
Old 04-01-2018, 10:22 AM   #3
lowersnowgoer
Liquid Cooled

Yes..... A BIG Thanks to Neil and Straits area groomers for all you did with what we received this year....On the Atv trails what is being added??
Old 04-01-2018, 11:54 AM   #4
Go Fast or Go Home
Trail Master

Great job on grooming with no more than you had to work with.

Still better than most other trails around the State.

I also am getting more into ATV/Side x Side riding. Will there be maps available ? A lot of areas are very confusing as to which trails you can be on or not. Not much consistency throughout the State.

Don~
Old 04-01-2018, 03:56 PM   #5
Snow VP
Administrator

So the big storm gave us 3" in Iggy. THings are just barely ridable. Just wait a couple more days... sounds like another 4"+ storm headed our way on Tuesday!

As far as the ATV trails, we are adding our Western snowmobile trails to the official system, which means that we will be able to fix them up using ATV funds for whatever we need. So, as far as maps go, you already know what is out there, however it is my understanding that there is a new really cool on-line trail map coming out. Clubs are supposed to be able to beta test it in a couple weeks, then it will be rolled out to the public.
Closed Thread