Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 10:20 AM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 3-05-18

Another pitiful winter in the straits area. Long sunny days with no recent precip has not fixed the meltdown and rain from more than a week ago now. Trails in the woods do have some snow on them, but not much and everything is pretty crunchy and icy for sure. The more open areas do have some bare spots, and of course the RR grade out of Iggy is complete ice, or gravel depending on sun.

There is nothing that can be done on our trails until we get a good snow. Probably over 4" maybe even 6" will be needed to get us rideable again, and until then we are on standby.

If you got some riding in around here, please post up your experience.

The forecast isn't all that helpful. We are supposed to get some snow on Tuesday into Wednesday, but it again is a downstate storm, and it is only going to brush us. I don't expect to get more then 2" which will not be enough to bring back point-to-point riding.

Quote:
Today: Sunny, with a high near 35. East wind around 10 mph.

Tonight: A 20 percent chance of snow after 4am. Increasing clouds, with a low around 21. East wind around 10 mph.

Tuesday: Snow showers likely, mainly after 1pm. Cloudy, with a high near 33. East wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Tuesday Night: Snow showers likely, mainly after 1am. Cloudy, with a low around 23. North wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of around 2 inches.

Wednesday: A 50 percent chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a high near 34. North wind around 10 mph.

Wednesday Night: A 40 percent chance of snow showers. Cloudy, with a low around 24.

Thursday: Rain and snow showers likely before 2pm, then rain showers likely between 2pm and 5pm, then rain and snow showers likely after 5pm. Cloudy, with a high near 37. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Thursday Night: Snow showers likely, mainly before 7pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 23.

Friday: Partly sunny, with a high near 36.

Friday Night: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 20.

Saturday: Mostly sunny, with a high near 37.

Saturday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 20.
On a personal note, I am back in St. Ignace and beginning to organize things again both at home and work. I have a mountain of paperwork to get to, and will be update here on a more regular basis when info becomes available. Thanks for the good thoughts and to those who helped out in my absence.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:22 PM   #2
Benjamingvsu
Liquid Cooled

Default Re: Trail Conditions 3-05-18

Neil, how do the total groomed miles this year compare to previous? I know for me I am at an all-time low mileage for season, partially due to snow conditions and partially due to bad timing of warm weather vacations.
Old 03-05-2018, 01:37 PM   #3
xmxzx
Junior Rider

On Friday 3/2 I rode 473 out of Trout Lake to caffey corner then took trail 2 to 471 back into Trout Lake. There were some thin icy sections but overall very rideable. Trails north of trout lake to Hulbert and Brimley were in good shape. Hope we get one more storm this year but we will have to wait and see.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:35 PM   #4
clifton
Trail Master

Anybody know how the rail road grade north of Moran looks? Coming up the weekend to ride. Hopefully it still has some ice on it and this couple inches of snow expected could get us to the Burma grade.
Old 03-05-2018, 04:49 PM   #5
Snow VP
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamingvsu View Post
Neil, how do the total groomed miles this year compare to previous? I know for me I am at an all-time low mileage for season, partially due to snow conditions and partially due to bad timing of warm weather vacations.
Way way down. we had Zero in December. Due to my obligations I am way behind on DNR paperwork for this season so I don't know for sure. I am guessing we are in the 20% range, and bottom 5 of all seasons for sure. I will post up when I have the season total for sure.
Old 03-07-2018, 10:03 AM   #6
Snow VP
Administrator

Wednesday update. Just a trace from the big Nor'easter that is supposed to dump 2 feet on the East coast. Just enough here to cover the grass again. No change on the trails.
Another inch on its way tonight, but more new snow should be hitting bother South and North of us, so there may be riding in other areas.
Closed Thread