Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 09:32 PM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 2-08-18

All of the Straits trails are in Good+ condition. Some are excellent, most are very good, and a few stretches are in good shape.

The RR Grade from Castle Rock Rd to Moran is very very thin. Snow covered, but lots of rocks from early season meltdowns. Recommend taking teh West trail up out of Iggy for a much better ride. Heard lots of sleds are trailering up to Moran and riding North - that is all good to go. As you get further up North, things will get a bit deeper, and on teh West end by Brevort, and up to Rex, there snow is a little deeper - not sure if there is enough for OK off trail (I doubt it), but the trails are all in really good shape.

I hear TASA has a very good groom into us at Epoufette, so connecting to the West is good to go. Chasers are reporting a little snit to the North, but reports I got connections are all OK. Cedarville swamps are froze and they are grooming to Drummond rides should be possible. Sounds like things are coming together.

Our groomers will be running when needed throughout the next week, and trails should hold up quite well. I can guarantee that the ice base will be evident in the corners, so please keep vigilant on the trails this weekend.

Flat fast and FUN - no funny-business.

I will not take the time to post up the weather as there is nothing interesting to see. Ranging from the teens to 20s, and no snow for the next week.

LaBatte Blue pond hockey on Feb 14th weekend:
Lots of ice in teh bay, rinks are being built over the coming few days, sure to be a great time.

Mackinac Island Ice Bridge.
The cutter Hollyhock was out in the channel messing around on Tuesday night. I understand a couple locales walked across on Tuesday, and then on Wednesday. If they walk twice, then there wasn't enough ice to ride back. I talked to a person that saw a sled cross today. THERE IS NO TREELINE UP AT THIS TIME. I will report when it goes up. I will not report, no will I allow ice condition reports on this site. The only allowable message is that the treeline is up or not, it is your responsibility to check ice conditions if you want to make a trip like that.

So, overall good report. Make your planes and get some miles in!

Personally, for those who have inquired: I will try to step in from time to time, but still dealing with alot. Thank you for your good thoughts.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:50 PM   #2
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Re: Trail Conditions 2-08-18

Mackinac Island update:

The treeline went up at noon today.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:33 PM   #3
wheelman
I'm New Here

I took the ice bridge over today there is just one bad spot in the middle a pressure crack that is about 2ft wide. Besides that rode 4 days out of st. Ignace. I thought the trails were great for the amount of snow you have got. Just thin on the grade but passable.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:02 AM   #4
Burksee
I'm New Here

Question Re: Trail Conditions 2-08-18

Wheelman, I'm from White Lake so we're almost neighbors! Thanks for the update and glad to hear you got some good riding in! My wife and I have had the ice bridge on our bucket list for a while now and was hoping to get up there this coming weekend. Can I bother for some info like where you stayed at and unloaded your sleds at? Also I heard from someone else that they charge you $10.00 to bring a snowmobile onto the island? Never heard of that before, just want to be prepared, I'm wondering if they were talking about the additional charge for bringing a trailer over the bridge to the UP?
Old 02-12-2018, 10:35 AM   #5
wheelman
I'm New Here

We had a group of us from down state and we stayed at the voyger inn. Riding from the hotel was rough as there wasn't alot of snow on the side street. So we trailed to little bear in st ignace and rode from there. For the ice bridge we unloaded in the Mackinac grill parking lot. I was planing on paying the money when I got to the island too because that's what I had heard too. However never seen a spot to pay. This weekend might be hard to find a room if you don't already have one. It's pond hockey weekend and everywhere is booked.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:26 PM   #6
Burksee
I'm New Here

Thumbs up Re: Trail Conditions 2-08-18

Thank you Wheelman! Yes, we heard all about the pond hockey tourney so we're changing plans and we're now doing a three day weekend. Heading up to Houghton Lake Saturday to ride with friends around there then on up to St Ignace early Sunday AM, sled over to the island and spend the day/night over there and return to the real world on Monday. Keeping our fingers crossed that it doesn't warm up to much this week! Thanks for the tip about the Mackinaw Grill too!
Closed Thread