Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 11:09 PM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 1-30-18

Sorry about the intermittent updates folks. I am out of town on a family emergency. It will several more days before I am back. The situation is eating up all my time, so I am not in communication with trail reporters. I pre-arranged for grooming to be taken care of, so tracks will turn upon my absence, however the info is having a hard time to make the net.

What I know is things are tough South of Moran, OK, not great North. Everything is crunchy icy right now.

Good news, non of that matters. We are supposed to be hit with 4-8in of new snow in the next 24hrs. System snow too. They specifically mentioned St. Ignace to Drummond. This should be enough to punch us up to very good trail conditions by Friday morning. The base is there, the top is on the way!!

Lets hope we have a little good luck for once.

Quote:
Tonight: Snow, mainly after 1am. Patchy blowing snow after 2am. Temperature rising to around 23 by 5am. South wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of around 2 inches.

Wednesday: Snow, mainly before 2pm. Patchy blowing snow between 11am and 2pm. High near 31. Breezy, with a west wind 15 to 20 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of around 3 inches.

Wednesday Night: Scattered snow showers, mainly after 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 13. West wind 10 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Thursday: Scattered snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 15. Wind chill values as low as -3. West wind around 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Thursday Night: Scattered snow showers, mainly before 2am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 3. Northwest wind 5 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Friday: Mostly cloudy, with a high near 13.

Friday Night: A 50 percent chance of snow after 8pm. Cloudy, with a low around 6.

Saturday: Snow likely, mainly after 8am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 16.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:23 PM   #2
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-30-18

And BTW, It looks like a few people got caught up in a newer spam filter I had setup. If you recently registered, and had issues, you may have gotten a password reminder sent. That was not spam, I fixed your account.
Sorry for the delay. Welcome to the site.
Old 01-31-2018, 06:32 AM   #3
PolarisRider
Trail Master

A little late but ....

Rode last Fri/Sat - there was indeed a nice base and very flat / fast. The snow last week made trails perfect Friday AM. Thanks to the Straits guys for grooming all the way thru the Cedarville connector. We picked up the trail there. Happy to see 16 mile is not being plowed this year. Pic attached is 47 at East Lake Rd - all the trails looked like this Fri AM

So far, today's winter storm has been a fizzle - less than an inch overnight in the Rudyard area. But they still saying another 1-3" this morning. Fingers crossed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tr47 at EastLk Rd2.jpg (78.3 KB, 91 views)
- 05 600 Sabercat LX
Member:
- M.S.A. - Straits Area Snowmobile Club
- Chippewa Snow Chasers - Soo Snowmobile Club - TASA
Old 01-31-2018, 08:06 AM   #4
mike ross
Junior Rider

any word on if the ice is frozen across to the island. maybe we will get a chance to go over this year later in February
Old 01-31-2018, 12:34 PM   #5
skidoodude04
Trail Master

When I came home on Sunday all I could see was open water. I would be taking bets that will not happen this year.
Old 02-01-2018, 05:40 AM   #6
Attak06
Fan Cooled

Anybody know the status on Castle Rock Rd? Last I heard they were plowing that from tree line to tree line. Is that still the case?
Old 02-01-2018, 08:31 AM   #7
conniver04
Trail Master

Ok everyone here is the report. We did get some snow but not all the forecasted. (big surprise) Looks like about 3" in Moran and more to the north. The first mile out of Moran is icy and thin but passable then it gets overall kinda good after the burma grade. We groomed to the Burma grade and did the whole loop. The power lines are all white and panned down and overall everything is panned down and passable. Round lake rd, Castle rock rd, and Damn rd all have good snow on them with a few icy spots but overall pretty good. The RR grade from town to Castle rock is rideable with some icy spots so be careful but make sure to take the castle rock turn off. The RR grade from Castle Rock to M123 was not groomable so take the Castle rock trail to the west and all is good. Hope this helps everyone and feel free to pm me with any questions. Sorry my update isn't as good as Neils but I'm trying. See everyone this weekend!

16 MXZX 1200
17 Renegade X 1200
Proud member of Straits area snowmobile club
M.S.A.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:33 AM   #8
db26
I'm New Here

Looking for some local advice. Our group is planning on coming up from Ohio on Saturday 2/10. We were going to stay at Newberry/Curtis area but would prefer to stay in Ignace if the conditions are ok to ride west and north and maybe even east towards Drummond. Assuming this area gets no snow in the next 9 days, how would you rate the trails? We are not expecting perfect. anything is better than Ohio riding so as long as the trails are rideable and preferably smooth.
thanks for any input!
Old 02-01-2018, 11:00 AM   #9
Attak06
Fan Cooled

Thanks for the update Kenny, that was very helpful and well done.
Old 02-01-2018, 12:46 PM   #10
snopro7c
Trail Master

Thanks Kenny on the update. Sure hope they get some more and don't get anymore of the warmups. Fingers crossed we will be good next weekend.

E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES!!!!!!!!
Closed Thread