Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums

Go Back   Straits Area Snowmobile Club Forums > News & Information > Trail Conditions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Trail Conditions Straight from the guys who groom them!

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 03:13 PM   #1
Snow VP
Administrator

Default Trail Conditions 1-04-18

Another day, same conditions out there. Very little to update except the temps. Temps this morning ranged from -4 to -17 across our trail system, and here mid-day it is still only -2. It is supposed to get down in the -20s across the EUP tonight, way too cold to do anything but sit on the couch in your jammies.

Due to the wind moving all the ice out, the area from Iggy to Mackinac Island was almost all open water yesterday, but this morning it was froze 80% the way across again. The ice fog is heavy and it is making ice like crazy. The HURON is back and started running today, so at least the ferry passengers have heat again.

The trails also have not changed much, but I do have a little more info for you. We got another 2" of lake effect on Tuesday night, which made things look better, but did not improve the conditions any. Thanks to Bobby and Wayne who did finally run a panning mission which covered everything that could be covered. That means that we should be OK as far as trees go now. The groomers did what they could and both drivers were not happy I sent them out. Hands down not enough snow to do anything with, and now that I am happy the trails are clear, and have been panned once, we will not run again until we get accumulating snow.

What else I know: Castle Rock Road is being plowed treeline to treeline for some reason I do not know. The Pipleline isn't groomable or ridable, and is mostly sand (at least on the East end) The cut river trail is very very very thin. There are various sections on teh RR Grade from Iggy to half way to Trout Lake which are basically gravel. From Rexton, the Caffey is passable, across and up to Trout Lake - but it is not advisable.

Basically, we have our trails safe now, but it will not be much fun on a sled. If you can deal with some very thin snow, some rocks, sand and some gravel from time to time, then have at it, you will have little traffic to deal with. I can't in good conscience have people travel here to ride destination to destination though as there are just too many spots with issues to get from place to place reliably.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:27 PM   #2
indootime
Trail Master

Default Re: Trail Conditions 1-04-18

Thanks for the update Neil. Hope Castle Rock Rd is being plowed in error...wishful thinking.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:37 AM   #3
Snow VP
Administrator

-12 this morning at the house.

The breeze is killer. It almost hurts to be outside any length of time.

If you are thinking about riding anywhere, make sure you bundle up with more than usual layers. Have a friend check to make sure everything is covered and you didn't miss a small spot on your neck so something. And make darn sure that you have a riding buddy in case something happens.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:24 AM   #4
Go Fast or Go Home
Trail Master

Good Advice

Don~
Old 01-07-2018, 04:58 PM   #5
polaris4me
Trail Master

Finally started the sleds this year. Been a busy fall with work and holidays and Kathy's recovery. The super cold weather did not help either. At work I am outside half of the time. Felt good to just stay in the house after work. Anyway, lets hope for some system snow storms .

M.S.A.
Support the people that support this sport !
Old 01-08-2018, 09:47 AM   #6
ToddMeister
the Bay City Roller

Arrow Re: Trail Conditions 1-04-18

We rode tip of the mitt over da weekend. Burrrrrrrrr cold was the word.

Trails weren't too bad. Thin near Millersburg.
Cheboygan trails were in decent shape.
Headed over to Indian River/Alanson/Pellston those trails were in nice shape.
Very thin up at Mackinac City, got better heading back to Cheboygan.

The temporary bridge on the north end of Cheboygan over Little Black River is now open YAY!
Straits Area Snowmobile Club
M.S.A.
Closed Thread